Samsung wasn’t going to be shown up by IBM at the wafer bragging sweepstakes, so they showed off a 14nm wafer and a 20nm wafer. OK, IBM did it a year ago, but now Samsung has it too.
Not much to say here, we showed you the IBM 14nm wafer yesterday, and true to the Common part of Common Platform, Samsung has one too. Yes it is FinFETs, no there were no specs given, and yes it is pretty, and shiny too.
Samsung 14nm wafer
From there, the company also had a 20nm wafer, and no, it is not FinFET based. Some fools are calling the test chips on this wafer Tegras, and that makes me weep for my chosen profession. Why? I showed it to my wife who was a biology major. It took her less than 10 seconds to figure out why it isn’t Tegra, can you? Some ‘journalists’ sure can’t.S|A
Samsung 20nm wafer
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- SemiAccurate has Skylake-SP die shots, sizes, and more - Jul 21, 2017
- Skylake-SP has a diverged core - Jul 19, 2017
- Intel’s Purley platform architecture is a step forward - Jul 13, 2017
- Intel launches Purley aka metal Xeons - Jul 11, 2017
- AMD’s Epyc has lots of connections - Jun 26, 2017