For those of you waiting for an 8-core ARM Mali GPU, your prayers have been answered in the form of the AMLogic AML8726-M8 SoC. Better yet at Techcon 13 SemiAccurate actually saw one up and running in the wild.
Howdy M8, that’s a mighty big GPU you have there
Not much more to say other than the demo tablet pictured above we saw and played with on the show floor. As the sign says it is a 2GHz quad-core ARM A9 CPU with an 8-core ARM Mali 450 GPU, MP8 if you must use the Queen’s English. As far as we are aware this is the first iteration of the MP8 architecture, something we weren’t really expecting with the advent of the Mali T720 GPU. It just goes to show that area, energy use, and cost can still outweigh bullet points on a sales chart. Isn’t diversity great?S|A
Have you signed up for our newsletter yet?
Did you know that you can access all our past subscription-only articles with a simple Student Membership for 100 USD per year? If you want in-depth analysis and exclusive exclusives, we don’t make the news, we just report it so there is no guarantee when exclusives are added to the Professional level but that’s where you’ll find the deep dive analysis.
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- Intel unleashes more Kaby Lake SKUs on the yearning public - Jan 4, 2017
- Qualcomm opens up a bit more on the 10nm Snapdragon 835 SoC - Jan 3, 2017
- AMD’s Freesync 2 changes the display game - Jan 3, 2017
- Coffee Lake points to issues with Intel’s 10nm process - Dec 28, 2016
- Intel goes all Pokemon with code names – really - Dec 28, 2016