SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > OSes

OSes Talk about operating systems

Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM
itanic

gzader is on a distinguished road
Question Ubuntu 11.10 - Not so good

Okay, I am really hating the Unity desktop. I've installed gnome classic which really isn't the same and it has it's own issues but at least it's less annoying...

So my question, how do I get that 10.10 desktop feel on 11.10?

Ubuntu seems to be running full speed in the wrong direction.

Anyone?

Last edited by gzader; 10-17-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo, brain damage
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM
>intel 4004

rich wargo will become famous soon enoughrich wargo will become famous soon enough

Then I suggest you switch to another distro, as it seems as if Shuttleworth is really devoted to his new GUI.
Oh, and everything I post in these or any other forums, or anywhere else online for that matter, is strictly my personal opinion. I do not represent anyone. Especially the alleged company of which I am no longer an alleged employee.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 AM
2^10

PorscheRacer14 will become famous soon enough

Errr, kinda reminds me of Apple. Could be coincidence, or not... I liked the 10.10 look of Ubuntu or even the Ultimate Edition versions.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 AM
2^10

fatty2nd is on a distinguished road

I quite like the Unity UI, that said it does feel very much like I'm using a mac, same for Gnome 3. I guess if you don't like doing it the mac way you'll either have to stick with Gnome 2 or go for a KDE distro.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:03 AM
2^11

CRoland will become famous soon enough

I like the GUI overall, but not all their design choices. Switching to Xfce probably gets you closer to Gnome 2 than Gnome 3 classic, so maybe you want to try Xubuntu?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:09 PM
2^11

rambaldi will become famous soon enoughrambaldi will become famous soon enough

Go for Mint
Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 AM
itanic

sydbod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzader View Post
Okay, I am really hating the Unity desktop. ......
The wife loves Unity. She just likes to use her computer as if it is an appliance ... set up once and never change anything on it from then onwards.
I am in the same boat as you probably are and have found solace in changing to LXDE.
If you are interested, give Lubuntu a try or, as myself, Mint LXDE. Its simple and fast
Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM
2^10

Exophase is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbod View Post
The wife loves Unity. She just likes to use her computer as if it is an appliance ... set up once and never change anything on it from then onwards.
I am in the same boat as you probably are and have found solace in changing to LXDE.
If you are interested, give Lubuntu a try or, as myself, Mint LXDE. Its simple and fast
It's funny, I've read a lot of Unity praise along the lines of "my girlfriend loves it." You're the first I've read who still dislikes it regardless of this - it seems for a lot of people not to having to deal with the hassle of needing to explain how to use it to the other people in their life.

My guess is it's more appealing for more "casual" users who mainly web browse and play media. But at the same time I don't really buy the whole "normal people can get it" argument, since so many people have at least some familiarity with the classic Windows desktop that this is a move away from.

For me I have a workflow that involves having lots of editor windows and terminals open and Unity is useless for me. I'm probably going full speed ahead with XFCE, although I'm feeling tempted to give KDE 4.7 a shot.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 AM
2^10

system7 will become famous soon enough

Multi-monitor support (an admittedly weak feature currently) is scheduled to improve with Ubuntu 12.04:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/m...u-12-04-video/

Ubuntu's own surveys have shown that most people like Unity. For sure it is oriented to touch-screen support too, though that won't be a proper feature till 14.04:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/s...-ubuntu-unity/

A lot to like in Ubuntu, especially the price. It's free. I use it a lot and so should you!
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 AM
itanic

kac is on a distinguished road

I personally don't use Unity. First thing I did was install Gnome-Shell. I've been loving it so far. It's great if you have a lot of terminal windows open.

Tags
despair, doom-and-gloom, gnome, pain, suffering, ubuntu, unity