SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > OSes

OSes Talk about operating systems

Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 AM
2^10

system7 will become famous soon enough

Multi-monitor support (an admittedly weak feature currently) is scheduled to improve with Ubuntu 12.04:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/m...u-12-04-video/

Ubuntu's own surveys have shown that most people like Unity. For sure it is oriented to touch-screen support too, though that won't be a proper feature till 14.04:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/s...-ubuntu-unity/

A lot to like in Ubuntu, especially the price. It's free. I use it a lot and so should you!
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 AM
itanic

kac is on a distinguished road

I personally don't use Unity. First thing I did was install Gnome-Shell. I've been loving it so far. It's great if you have a lot of terminal windows open.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
2^10

system7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
I personally don't use Unity. First thing I did was install Gnome-Shell. I've been loving it so far. It's great if you have a lot of terminal windows open.
Normal people don't use Terminal! It's a bit gay, isn't it? Just sayin'...
Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 AM
8-bit overflow

Medallish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I use unity, I use it to find the Terminal! I actually like Unity, it runs smooth and looks pretty good, most of all I find it practical, but since I was stuck with Debian for a long time, and really like using commands, that's usually what I do when testing or installing software, I have one beef with Ubuntu 11.10 though, and that's the horrible battery times I get, it's about half of what I get with Windows 7, but so far my HTPC is Ubuntu, I'm hoping I'll be able to switch my laptop as well, I'm afraid my Desktop needs it's "Wintendo", but I might install Ubuntu on the side if it works with my Raid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vain View Post
From my personal browsing experience, everyone is well endowed.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:43 PM
itanic

kac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Different strokes for different folks I always say...lol
Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
byte

Bullet500 is on a distinguished road

Quite frankly, I love GNOME 3 + shell. Looks slick, works slick.

I like Unity too, but I don't get the point why Canonical chose it over GNOME 3 shell as the latter is miles better and puts everything to shame as far as the user experience is concerned. (some people might disagree; old habits die hard) Unity is not bad. Let's not forget this is only the second release. It will mature with time, just like KDE 4 did.

This might be a little bit off-topic, but when will Catalyst start supporting X.org releases on time. Been 2 months and no support for X.org 1.11. Stuck on xf86-video-ati with no 3D. AMD needs to get its Linux driver act together seriously. There is a reason why Catalyst rots in AUR for Arch Linux. That said, Catalyst works like a charm on Ubuntu 11.10 which uses X.org 1.10.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Copper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medallish View Post
I use unity, I use it to find the Terminal!
Classic. Utterly classic.
I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

-Q
Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
2^10

Exophase is on a distinguished road

Using Xubuntu 11.10, happy with it so far ;p
Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM
8-bit overflow

minosi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzader View Post
Okay, I am really hating the Unity desktop. I've installed gnome classic which really isn't the same and it has it's own issues but at least it's less annoying...

So my question, how do I get that 10.10 desktop feel on 11.10?

Ubuntu seems to be running full speed in the wrong direction.

Anyone?
That's (unfortunately) simple:
Quick fix: switch to Xubuntu (or Kubuntu)
Short-to-mid term solution: switch to Squeeze
Long-term solution: switch to Openbox/Fluxbox and be done with those abominations called DE's ...

Just to make myself clear, I have tried. I reeealy did try to like Gnome. For 10 years or so. But it NEVER arrived to the "finished product" stage.
First, there was Metacity, buggy as hell bu it worked. Sort of. Intil a bunch of morons decided to incorporate "smart" features like automatic window placement .. you name it. In my use, Metacity NEVER achieved the stability/usability of Win98SE. A shame.
Then, they came with Compiz. Though a new "clean sheet" design it was more buggy and more "smart-ass" than Metacity (at its nexus when abandoned).
Then came another TWO clean sheet designs, Unity with Gnome Shell in tow. Both more buggy than Compiz(again at its nexus, when abandoned). Nice.

I am just wondering how will it take for another go-go-go idiot to come up with another way to make Gnome/KDE unuseable for anything but eye candy presentations for the media.

Note: I allways include UI bugs into "buggy" category. If something works "as intended" by its developer while preventing a user to use it, it is a bug. Period.

(Case in point - RHEL6 STILL does not support vertical Gnome-Panel ... a feature that is bog-standard on Win since NT 5.0 ... and essential for my workflow.)

note2: currently stuck on corporate RHEL6.1 with background work going to migrate myself to Openbox@Squeeze. AARGH!

Last edited by minosi; 11-17-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: bugs ;)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

ch1p is on a distinguished road

Ubuntu/Unity is my go-to for installing on regular users machines. For multi-monitor or even huge monitor setups for power users I think that LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is the way to go, and what I use. I don't see much upside to using the xBuntus or Mint vs LMDE customized once to the desktop you like. Since LMDE is a rolling release there will be less 'major upgrade breakage' to your preferences and configurations. Ultimately that is why I gave up on Ubuntu -- every version upgrade messed up my computer.

I think the reason Ubuntu went to Unity instead of Gnome is because of the poor user experience in dealing with upstream bugs/glitches that never got fixed. Gnome was the weak link on Ubuntu and is the weak link on my system. Right clicks don't work right, focus is broken for FF and Eclipse after a screen save, GVFS behavior seems random year to year, etc. Gnome devs have known about these problems from years and they keep getting worse not better -- clearly they only care about 3.0. Having a UI you can control for your OS distro is key for managing user experience. If they ever wanted to get significant penetration into OEM installs Cononical either had to fork Gnome or do something else.

Personally I'd like to move away from Gnome (because of the death of a thousand cuts effect and I don't want Gnome3) but I'm not sure anything else would do what I want better. I already use as little Gnome as possible -- I deleted my panels and use AWM instead and I use emerald/compiz for windows/desktops. I like the menus and the configuration programs, I'm not that trilled with nautilus, but I do like how the keyring is used for user space samba mounts. I'm open to suggestions if any of you have experience with other options.

Tags
despair, doom-and-gloom, gnome, pain, suffering, ubuntu, unity