SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > OSes

OSes Talk about operating systems

Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 AM
8-bit overflow

minosi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1p View Post
For multi-monitor or even huge monitor setups for power users I think that LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is the way to go, and what I use.
Unfortunately, I am a "mobile" multimonitor user and as such nether Metacity, nor Compiz, nor things like NetworkManager etc. work for me.

Basically, I am not ok with my (X11) screen being rendered out of my physical screen just because some stupid window manager decided it is a "good" idea. ... and then be found hunting for secondary screen in the middle of a meeting.

Last edited by minosi; 11-20-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:22 AM
8-bit overflow

grndzro is an unknown quantity at this point

Linux mint 12 is very good. Having the legacy gnome features side by side with Gnome3 works beautifully.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:47 AM
8-bit overflow

Jasn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
Linux mint 12 is very good. Having the legacy gnome features side by side with Gnome3 works beautifully.
Emulating Gnome2 on top of Gnome3 seems like a very bloated software.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
8-bit overflow

Just thought about something. They created these horrendous interfaces like UNITY and GNOME3 specifically for netbooks. And now netbooks are dead, sales declaining since Q2 2010, nobody wants them and GNU\linux users with real PCs left to suffer for nothing. Oh, irony!

BTW, I highly recommen Xubuntu - completely compatible ubuntu fork which uses xfce - very decent DE. Xfce is much lighter than mainstream DEs and has decent simple interface that lacks crap that clueless designers consider neat & hip these days. I used it since 2008, never was fan of gnome\kde.

http://www.xubuntu.org/
http://www.xfce.org/
Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Administrator

charlie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasn View Post
Emulating Gnome2 on top of Gnome3 seems like a very bloated software.
Yes it is, but until they un-fux0r Gnome3, it is better than the alternative.

-Charlie
Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 AM
8-bit overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Yes it is, but until they un-fux0r Gnome3, it is better than the alternative.

-Charlie
Thankfully, GNU is all about alternatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...p_environments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...indow_managers
Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 AM
8-bit overflow

Tried to install GIMP 2.8 in Mint yesterday. Installation failed, apparently because Mint (and ubuntu) uses modified ubuntu libraries instead of standard libgtk. I think I'll stick to something close to "default" GNU\Linux, like Arch. I wonder if ubuntu will have only Kernel from Linux eventually (a-la Android).
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 AM
2^11

rambaldi will become famous soon enoughrambaldi will become famous soon enough

Use newer mint, it is based of Debian rather than Ubuntu.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 PM
8-bit overflow

Nevermind, it works in Mint 13. ************, I waited for single-window mode in Gimp for so long.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 AM
2^10

system7 will become famous soon enough

I can't quite remember what you guys reckon is wrong with Ubuntu 11.10, but I've moved on to Ubuntu 12.04.1 anyway...

It still installs from a small 700MB CD-R and not a DVD as rumoured. Quite easy to copy anything in the documents folder of the Windows hard drive over. I just dumped all my Windows pictures and PDFs into folders which now sit in the Ubuntu Home directory, being as Ubuntu can see everything on the other hard drive and copy it over directly. I also took the chance to backup all my valuable photos to CD-R.

I set the CD as first boot device, the Ubuntu hard drive as second boot device and the Windows one as 3rd boot device in the bios before doing anything. That way the GRUB boot manager goes on the Ubuntu drive, which is where you want it with dual OS.

Bit of a bug with the ATI/AMD proprietory drivers which are absolutely necessary to quieten the graphics card fan. Unusually you get offered a choice of two. You do best to install the original FGLRX Catalyst rather than the one with post-release updates. It's only a month difference anyway, 11.8 rather than 11.9 or something. But the newer one doesn't install nicely, and since I can't be bothered to hack around in terminal, that is fine with me. FWIW, Hewlett Packard printers have always had good linux support, as does most hardware thats more than a six months old.

Thunderbird email client is a bit clunky, but Firefox is fine as ever. I ran ShieldsUp! to see how it looked on the ports. Not invisible by any means, unlike firewalled Windows, but as we know, Linux isn't exactly full of holes, and the official advice is still that you don't need antivirus or firewalls. Happy days.

I guess I lose DX11 gaming (which I've outgrown) and a few programs like Visaton Boxsim loudspeaker design sim which only runs on Windows, but I think my next computer hardware will be something quite different from the ol' desktop I've got at the moment. Funnily enough I've also downgraded my Blackberry smartphone back to my simple old Nokia music phone. No constant email driving me crazy! Peace at last and more time for music and novels.

Tags
despair, doom-and-gloom, gnome, pain, suffering, ubuntu, unity