SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Finance, Legal, Policy

Finance, Legal, Policy that kind of stuff goes here

Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
640k who needs more?

fusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richthofen View Post
Why should he? Again all what matters is that the company makes profits. Without that settlement it would be all Nvidia chips put on those Intel mainboards

Bottom line is they make money and increased desktop add in market share.
You do realize that AMD is cannibalizing their own add in market share with their IGP's? The add-in market share numbers will be less and less relevant as time goes on.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM
itanic

kalizec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion View Post
You do realize that AMD is cannibalizing their own add in market share with their IGP's? The add-in market share numbers will be less and less relevant as time goes on.
That cannibalization isn't of AMD's own doing. That was already inevitable. Better to sell those APU's than not sell anything at all.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
2^11

distinctively will become famous soon enoughdistinctively will become famous soon enough

Quote:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...uarter-Reports

Nvidia discrete market share rose by 3,7% to 63,4% compared to the last quater. Year on year it rose by 2,9%. They now own 2/3rd of the add in discrete market according to JPR while AMD owns 1/3rd!
Some of AMD's discrete sales opportunities have been changed to Llano sales. That was inevitable. The whole existence of APUs is going to change a lot of figures so that no one will ever know for sure what exact changes took place.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 PM
2^11

distinctively will become famous soon enoughdistinctively will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Why should he? Again all what matters is that the company makes profits. Without that settlement it would be all Nvidia chips put on those Intel mainboards

Bottom line is they make money
Investors won't use windfall profits like the Intel settlement as an indicator of what the future will hold.

Quote:
and increased desktop add in market share.
Again, with some of AMD's discrete sales going towards APUs, the gain in market share for Nvidia is pretty much an illusion. No doubt that Nvidia is good at making profits. I just don't see this last quarter as good news for them.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 AM
640k who needs more?

nvidiot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bottom line is they make money and increased desktop add in market share.
1) Did you bother to read the settlement to see that Intel and NVDA settled ALL their claims over each other, not just patents?

2) Do you have any clue of how accounting and valuation works, or you are just taking NVDA bottom line and inferring that because profits are up things are good?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 AM
itanic

Richthofen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
1) Did you bother to read the settlement to see that Intel and NVDA settled ALL their claims over each other, not just patents?

2) Do you have any clue of how accounting and valuation works, or you are just taking NVDA bottom line and inferring that because profits are up things are good?
For me its very easy. Nvidia is and has been a great company for many years and was and is nowhere near the bleeding AMD has come through. I have great confidence in them and their CEO.
On the other hand i laugh when people are telling doom and gloom about Nvidia, which happpens for several years now - especially here at this website Unfortunately for them Nvidia and especially Huang proved otherwise over the past 10 years. So i will keep on going sitting here and having a bright smile on my face knowing how red the face from others is when Huang pulls again out something new and unexpected out of his hat.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
2^11

James will become famous soon enough

I'll be honest I really believed Nvidia was on the way out 18 months - 2 years ago. I just couldn't see any possibility of salvation. Now I think they might just have done enough to ride out the demise of discrete graphics.

It's going to be extremely tough however and I still rate their chances of survival to be slightly lower than AMD's. Just remove discrete graphics from the equation and Nvidia is losing a lot more than AMD is - and that's where it's heading. On the flipside Nvidia has more chance of making a lot of money very fast if say, an Apple backlash happens.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
640k who needs more?

nvidiot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I'll be honest I really believed Nvidia was on the way out 18 months - 2 years ago. I just couldn't see any possibility of salvation. Now I think they might just have done enough to ride out the demise of discrete graphics.
If NVDA keep betting in bad business it will go into bankruptcy, if they simply give up their business they just won't make money anymore, but won't lose either.

What I do think? I do think that they need to get a new business soon. Discrete GPU is shrinking YoY and this trend won't change. Their professional business will take a hit once AVX2 optimized apps start to enter the market as Haswell will offer some 50-80% of a GPGPU card essentially for free. This leaves them with Tegra, which has yet to prove itself.

As for Huang management, I must laught. In the last years he essentially killed the consumer GPU margin with big chips to GPGPU just to boost its PSB sales, and what did he get so far? PSB didn't grow that much, operating profits didn't become too much better and GPU margins are essentially null.

A lot of great companies of the past keeps making money in small niches or managing IP portfolio. Via, Creative, Rambus, and others are example of that. I don't know how long will take for NVDA to get to this point, but so far they are going for that.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
nibble

notty22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
If NVDA keep betting in bad business it will go into bankruptcy, if they simply give up their business they just won't make money anymore, but won't lose either.

What I do think? I do think that they need to get a new business soon. Discrete GPU is shrinking YoY and this trend won't change. Their professional business will take a hit once AVX2 optimized apps start to enter the market as Haswell will offer some 50-80% of a GPGPU card essentially for free. This leaves them with Tegra, which has yet to prove itself.

As for Huang management, I must laught. In the last years he essentially killed the consumer GPU margin with big chips to GPGPU just to boost its PSB sales, and what did he get so far? PSB didn't grow that much, operating profits didn't become too much better and GPU margins are essentially null.

A lot of great companies of the past keeps making money in small niches or managing IP portfolio. Via, Creative, Rambus, and others are example of that. I don't know how long will take for NVDA to get to this point, but so far they are going for that.
Bankruptcy? You kid?

Certain posters love to hate self made millionaires.
4 Reasons NVIDIA Is the Real Deal

Quote:
Jen-Hsun Huang. Taiwan-born NVDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang thrives on change. The former Ping-Pong champion holds a master’s degree in electrical engineering from Stanford and has what he describes as a “low tolerance for failure.” Cutting his teeth on microprocessor design at AMD, Huang co-founded NVIDIA in 1993. His company now has a market cap of $9.4 billion. He says that he learned one of his most important business lessons as a teenager competing in the U.S. national Ping-Pong championship in Las Vegas. Instead of resting up and preparing for the match, Huang wandered up and down the Strip all night, taking in the all the sights and lights. “To this day,” he told an interviewer, “I regret not being more focused on that tournament.” Count on Huang to focus like a laser on NVIDIA’s next big opportunity.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
2^10

krumme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty22 View Post
Bankruptcy? You kid?

Certain posters love to hate self made millionaires.
4 Reasons NVIDIA Is the Real Deal
The link is not info. Its more like a comercial. You know that right?

The writer should at least read NV own earning warnings. How pathetic can journalism be...

Thank God we have folks like Charlie and Drashek to balance things

Tags
nvda, nvidia