SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Games

Games Video, board, and meatspace fun

Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
bit

callmesissi is on a distinguished road
Default world of warcraft frames ps drop to an unplayable level, any ideas?

hello forum members

i've been playing WoW since launch and always i get pathetic FPS while raiding or in places like island of conquest. what i dont understand is WHY if the game is so old and i keep on upgrading my cpu / vid card always my FPs are patheticl low

my memory is not that great but for my stats overall were:

Vanilla wow: ati 9200pro agp, 750+mb ram, amd athlon cpu = FPS while in molten core = 8 !! then i got an nvidia 5200mx and i think i got like 10fps.

Burning Crusade: ati x1650x agp, 1+gb ram, athlon 64 cpu = FPS while SSC raid the lurker (jumping in / out water) = 1 FPS!!! 1... then i got an nvidia 8600gts and my FPS went to around 40, BUT stupid card stopped working like in 8 months...

WOTLK = ati 4650 pci-e, 4gb ram, intel 2.2ghz dual core = FPS while in ICC = 15 / 20 fps (and sometimes when goo on the floor or explosions my FPS freeze for a few seconds!)

Cataclysm = ati 6670 pci-e, 4gb ram, intel 2.93 dual core = FPS in dragon soul = 20 fps (and sometimes when goo on the floor or explosions my FPS freeze for a few seconds!)

i know IF i could buy an I7 and a 580 card my fps would be really good, but i dont have that kind of money to spend, what puzzles me the most is that my friends play on laptops and they dont suffer so much drops in FPS like me

Any idea what is my problem? should i focus more on spending my low budget cash on increasing ram? cpu? vid,card? or settings in wow that i am not aware i should adjust?

i have always played the main tank or main healer.. and so much time i've suffered a lot by running the game in so low fps.

in a couple weeks i'll have around $ 250 bucks to spend, what should i get?

sorry about my terrible english, my main language is spanish.

Last edited by callmesissi; 03-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 AM
2^10

Thrillseeker will become famous soon enough

Don't forget that since Wow is an online game your internet connection can also have an effect on your framerate especially for raids.

That being said assuming your internet connection isn't the problem, the next thing to consider is your videocard. The 6670 is a reasonable card, buts its not what you would call high end. It will run the game just fine however, but you may have to reduce some graphics settings.

I don't have the Wow control panel in front of me, so hopefully I get the names right for settings.

Make sure your anti-aliasing (multi-sample?) is set to 1 sample max. The graphics will look better with 2 or 4 samples set, but 1 is the fastest setting by far.

View distance should be set to about mid level. Some of the raids are pretty big and this may help. It will help your framerate even more in the big cities if they are crowded with people.

Setting the "Graphics" slider to either "good" or "fair" should automatically set your view distance to midway I believe, and should set all the other settings to something your card can handle.

Check your framerate after you change your settings (iirc the little thingey on screen tells your latency, cursor over it). You may want to write down your original settings before changing anything. Keep in mind that the 25 man raid will probably give you your lowest framerate in the game, so you should be hitting 40 fps or higher in most areas in the game to ensure you have 10-15 fps in the large raids.

You may want to check under the "advanced" menu also. I think setting "triple buffering" to Disable and "reduce input lag" to Disable may help framerate as well. Check and see what it says in game when you select those anyways, it should tell you their effect on framerate.

Unfortunately, if you reduce the graphical settings too far, sometimes its hard to see some of the ground area effects and debuffs in the raids. So keep that in mind, and if you have trouble seeing crap on the ground you may need to bump the graphic settings up a notch.

I don't think you need to buy a new card, just play with your graphics settings and keep note of framerate, and you should be fine. If you do buy a new card, make sure you have a large enough power supply in your machine to power it, some box manufacturers are notorious for putting in just barely adequate power supplies (I'm looking at you HP).
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM
2^11

James will become famous soon enough

Make sure your shadows aren't at maximum, that kills fps in wow like nothing else.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 PM
2^10

Thrillseeker will become famous soon enough

Ah, I didn't mention also that as a last ditch method you could lower the display resolution below the native resolution of your monitor.

That shouldn't really be necessary unless you have one of the older integrated video solutions.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM
itanic

rarson is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 6850 a couple weeks ago for $130. If you're looking for a good value, that's tough to beat right now. I can get great frame rates at my monitor's native resolution (1280 x 1024) with most of the settings turned up (I don't play WoW, though). You might want to also think about spending the extra $120 on a solid-state hard drive.

One thing I noticed is that I was getting random stutters in games that were really annoying. I'm not sure why, but I had installed Hydravision with the new card even though I don't use it (I guess Hydravision is useful for setting up different desktops or something, but I get everything I need out of my multi-monitor setup without it) and that seemed to be the issue. I uninstalled it and the random stutters went away.

I would also try downloading a program like EasyCleaner or CCleaner and giving your computer a good cleaning. Also check the processes in the startup list and remove anything you don't need. If you have the time and want to go even further, one of my favorite resources for tweaking services is Black Viper's web page, which will give you all sorts of information about services to help you figure out which ones you need and which you can disable. For instance, if you scroll down on the page I just linked, and click on Windows 7 Service Configurations, it not only tells you the status of each service for each Windows configuration, but you can also click on the individual services for an explanation of what they do, their dependencies, and various other pieces of information. Not sure which version you're using, but all the recent versions are covered.

Last edited by rarson; 03-21-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
itanic

By the way, if you're going to disable services, you want to use services.msc and not msconfig. Also, some of the services, like System Restore, you need to disable the "normal" way (Control Panel).
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
itanic

srps is on a distinguished road

Despite being old, WoW devs have actually updated the engine quite a lot since launch, polygon counts are way higher (just compare a worgen to a human character and you'll notice, for example, but even trees, grass, etc have had updates), they have dynamic shadow modeling which totally kills your GPU (keep it on 2-3 or disabled), there are more spell effects, etc etc and all.

I'm pretty sure your GPU is having trouble to render all the spell effects when chaos happens, so make sure particle effects are disabled, keep shadows low \ disabled (at lvl 1 they're so horrible so if you can't handle lvl 2 shadows just disable), select DX11 as GPU path (as it's faster than DX9), lower ground clutter and object distance.
I don't recall all settings and have no active acc. , but the game options do tell if they use GPU or CPU power, so...

The best upgrade for you is probably an HD6850 or HD6870, you can probably get any of them for under 150$ (probably with some rebate with the 6870) and you'll double your graphics' performance.

SSD won't affect your gaming, though it'll make your OS snappy.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
itanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srps View Post
SSD won't affect your gaming, though it'll make your OS snappy.
Yeah, but it sure is nice when everything loads faster.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 AM
2^10

fatty2nd is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't install a game to an SSD.