SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Tech support

Tech support Questions about things going wrong

Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
itanic

garethace is on a distinguished road
Default Send Large Files

I guess, a lot of the threads I open these days have to do with finding out the 'best of breed' in softwares, to perform utility type of jobs, like imaging a hard disk drive, doing backups, or more ambitious projects such as building a wireless network.

There is another task, which software is beginning to do more these days, I notice - and that is the sending via internet - of quite large files. Whether it is sending them to yourself, or another person. I am so used to the days, when my limits to my e-mail attachment size rarely breached a megabyte, and even then, there were always problems. But it appears that nowadays, we are seeing solutions and utility applications, to deal with files in the multiples of gigabytes in scale.

How this technology works, to get a file that large to transfer itself efficiently over a network, is interesting I am sure. Maybe the internet traffic nowadays, is dominated by a lot of large file size traffic, in the form of HD video and audio etc. All the same, the notion of sending a file, in the region of a gigabyte in size freaks me out. But I can see the need for it, at the same time. I can witness everyday now, the size of files that regular office applications sometimes generate. Don't even get me started about uncompressed Photoshop work files. They can get very large in size, very quickly - even though the final output image, when compressed down - can hold a lot of quality, and be quite neat in size. The working files for many image manipulation software's out there, generate huge files.

I can appreciate how sending those things around, on the internet, presents a challenge, that needs to be solved.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
2^11

TakeANumber will become famous soon enoughTakeANumber will become famous soon enough

Isn't it solved already, in the form of bittorrents ? Perhaps this is not the sense you meant it in?

And I think several clients can set up as a small tracker, so if you can communicate with your transferring partner the relevant info, like IP addresses, you should be able to do it somewhat easily. In a sense, the torrent file would be like a checksum that was pre-sent , so the receiver would know if a piece was correct or not and ask for a resend if necessary.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
itanic

garethace is on a distinguished road

I hadn't considered bittorrent, in this context. But of course, it is another element to it all. Last December, when I was looking a good bit at wireless routers, network attached storage and that kind of technology, the ability of standalone storage hardware, to act as a bittorrent client - even when all computers were switched off - was deemed to be a useful feature to have.

Clearly, the technology I described, like that built into file compression softwares nowadays, of a web service, where you can e-mail your files to - and others, even if they don't own the compression software on the other end - can download these massive files, from the web service - is probably only a slight variation on the bittorrent concept.

Instead of having a network attached storage device though, on your living room floor, you are working with a virtual storage device out on the network somewhere, which is enabling your e-mail recipient, to use your online storage, to download the large file, over on their end.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM
bit

ju8191 is on a distinguished road
Default ForgetBox is a solution

There are now a lot of softwares that propose solution for sending big files by mail.

I am using ForgetBox and i very satisfied.

It is free, there is no size limitation for the files you want to send and it runs in background. You can even close your computer and when you open it after it will continue the download where you stop.

Here is the link : http://forgetbox.com/
Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 AM
2^10

GeorgiD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethace View Post
I can appreciate how sending those things around, on the internet, presents a challenge, that needs to be solved.
I see no challenge at all which needs to be solved when one can transfer large files via Skype.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-sky...loadSkype-side
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM
itanic

Bitey is on a distinguished road

ehh...ftp?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 AM
2^10

AudioVoodoo is on a distinguished road

Megaupload?