SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > CPUs

CPUs Talk about processors and related technology

Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator

charlie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palliot View Post
It seems to deliver them quite nicely on the AC100. I would buy one in a heartbeat, if only there was a usable OS for it.
Feel free. I think the only thing NV brings to the table is graphics incompatible with the rest of the ARM world, and shorter battery life. Oh yeah, they can't do the same level of HD decode either.

Quote:
Didn't you say just a few posts up it sells for $10?
Regardless, tegra was never meant to do bluray or h264 high profile. If you can get away with almost 10x higher TDP, CE4100 is a logical choice for these apps.
MSRP is $35 or so, they are shopping it to volume customers at $10-12, but not geting many takers. They promised Tegra 1 could do everything HD that you would ever need, and T2 would do more. For some reason, that didn't work out.

Nvidia made promises, and delivered silicon that wasn't even close. Again.

Quote:
Two of those are REALLY shaky now.

-Charlie
Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Banned

Palliot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Feel free. I think the only thing NV brings to the table is graphics incompatible with the rest of the ARM world, and shorter battery life. Oh yeah, they can't do the same level of HD decode either.
The rest of the ARM world isnt compatible with itself. Or is Mali compatible with PowerVR? Moot point.

Shorter battery life. compared to what? An HP airlife 100 has longer battery life, but it also has a soc that is 2-3x slower. And it comes with android 1.6 (have fun with that on a netbook). And you cant buy it. So what other netbook has 6-8 hour battery life and weighs 870 gr?

As for HD decode. If for some weird reason I would fancy high profile h264 playback, weighing in over 50GB per movie on a portable device without harddrive and a screen thats only 600 pixels high, then what device would you suggest?

Quote:
Two of those are REALLY shaky now.
I imagine anything thats not a phone and based on android looks shaky right now. No android market. I could stop there. Barely working flash. No point and click interface. No scrolling. No printing. No office apps. It makes windows CE look good.

Thing is though, just about every new tablet or smartbook that pops up seems to be designed around tegra, and close to none are based on omap4 or u8500. Or moorestown. If tegra is only half as bad as you keep saying, why is that?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 AM
10^2

BioSehnsucht is on a distinguished road

It's nice not to re-encode everything to a lower format. That's why when I eventually get around to putting together a carputer I'm equipping it with a HD/BD combo drive (which I already have) so I don't have to rip/encode stuff.

So what if the screen will be at best 480P widescreenish, at least I can throw anything at it.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
8-bit overflow

Aesma is on a distinguished road

I agree. My ISP provides a free set-top box which can do a lot of things and is upgraded often software wise. For example reading of mkv files has been added. However, the hardware can't cope with high bitrate HD and that's annoying because I don't want to bother with transcoding. When it came out in 2006 it was more powerful than anything on the market, with a Sigma Design SoC which was still sold last year on the WD TV, but now obviously it isn't anymore (a new one should soon be available).

Tags
boxee, intel, nvidia, tegra, tegra 2