SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > OSes

OSes Talk about operating systems

Old 03-19-2017, 07:51 PM
8-bit overflow

rarson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoses View Post
I don't want Enterprise, or better said Software Assurance. Microsoft want's me to have it :-)
Yeah, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place for now. I don't know how the new version will change updates, but it's supposed to give more control to the user as to when updates are applied, but as far as I know, it's only when the computer restarts to apply them. I don't think that what you and everyone else is requesting is what Microsoft will be delivering.

Quote:
We still have to migrate from PII setups with Windows NT4.0 on production machines
Oh god. Good luck with that?

I love really old computers that run software ignorant of what is possible with the internet, since they usually are so old they don't need constant updates. Ah, the good old days. Too bad keeping them running is often a pain.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM
8-bit overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Please step outside your bubble and enter the real world where most users are completely computer illiterate.
Dude, really? This is what I hate about you. You constantly twist things around to make it fit your narrative. I repair computers for a living, I KNOW THAT MOST USERS ARE COMPLETELY COMPUTER ILLITERATE!

Quote:
Your simple demand of asking people to put more than zero effort into customizing windows is already too much.
No, it's not, it's highlighting the problem. The problem is that nobody can be ************ing arsed to spend a god************ minute looking into how the OS works to figure out how to make it work how they like, and ignoring that fact and saying it's all Microsoft's fault doesn't fix the base problem: COMPUTER USERS ARE STUPID. Yes, I'm continually frustrated by a lot of Microsoft's default settings and I think those same default settings lead to average users not having a clue about important things like file extensions. I wish a lot of the defaults were changed to force people to deal with real aspects of the operating system so that they aren't scammed so easily by emails.

ALL OF THAT SAID, do you know what annoys me the most? Idiots who can't do basic everyday tasks like installing a printer or connecting to WiFI, things that are easily done if you just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM. NOTHING replaces user education. I would never hire someone whose job involved heavy use of a computer if they can't even understand basic features of Windows.

Quote:
If someone breaks their perfectly working Win7 laptop from 2014, they now have no choice but to use Windows 10 if they purchase new.
So? What's the problem here? I can't buy a brand new Windows 98 laptop. What is the problem?

Quote:
Having 3 more years of extended support won't bring back their old laptop.
No, paying someone hundreds of dollars will bring back their old laptop, but they don't want to do that because they think they can buy a brand new laptop for less than $200. That's their problem. However they deal with it, that's on them. DON'T BREAK THE ************ING LAPTOP, IDIOT!

Quote:
This is bad for PC sales and bad for microsoft.
I fail to see the connection.

Quote:
Activation loophole is still wide open:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
1607 directly from Microsoft will still take Win7/8 keys perfectly during install.
I would say that's a good thing for end users, not sure why you're bringing this up. I still upgrade computers to Windows 10 as long as it keeps working. You're now making arguments FOR Microsoft, good job.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarson View Post
Dude, really? This is what I hate about you. You constantly twist things around to make it fit your narrative. I repair computers for a living, I KNOW THAT MOST USERS ARE COMPLETELY COMPUTER ILLITERATE!

No, it's not, it's highlighting the problem. The problem is that nobody can be ************ing arsed to spend a god************ minute looking into how the OS works to figure out how to make it work how they like, and ignoring that fact and saying it's all Microsoft's fault doesn't fix the base problem: COMPUTER USERS ARE STUPID. Yes, I'm continually frustrated by a lot of Microsoft's default settings and I think those same default settings lead to average users not having a clue about important things like file extensions. I wish a lot of the defaults were changed to force people to deal with real aspects of the operating system so that they aren't scammed so easily by emails.

ALL OF THAT SAID, do you know what annoys me the most? Idiots who can't do basic everyday tasks like installing a printer or connecting to WiFI, things that are easily done if you just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM. NOTHING replaces user education. I would never hire someone whose job involved heavy use of a computer if they can't even understand basic features of Windows.

So? What's the problem here? I can't buy a brand new Windows 98 laptop. What is the problem?

No, paying someone hundreds of dollars will bring back their old laptop, but they don't want to do that because they think they can buy a brand new laptop for less than $200. That's their problem. However they deal with it, that's on them. DON'T BREAK THE ************ING LAPTOP, IDIOT!

I fail to see the connection.

I would say that's a good thing for end users, not sure why you're bringing this up. I still upgrade computers to Windows 10 as long as it keeps working. You're now making arguments FOR Microsoft, good job.
Why are you upset over people not understanding computers? It's just a tool to access their apps. You hire people to use apps, not computers. Even computer literate people have gripes about windows 10 like auto restarts and forced telemetry reporting.

Do you also lecture people who know nothing about cars, electricity, plumbing, etc?

People don't want Windows 10. If their old Win7 laptop is broken or lost, consumers may defect from PC's faster.

People will pay extra for their apps to work, the OS to not suck, and hardware that doesn't suck. Apple gouges this market heavily.

The win7/win8 activation loophole was left open on purpose because of how bad adoption is going. My guess is pirated Win7/Win8 still activate as well, meaning Windows 10 is "free" for most.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:27 PM
8-bit overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Why are you upset over people not understanding computers?
Because when they need to do something simple, they don't make any effort to figure it out, they expect to be spoon-fed. And then when you try to spoon-feed them, it's a total pain in the butt because they don't know simple terms like "Start button" or "internet browser."

Quote:
You hire people to use apps, not computers.
Yeah, these are the same people who expect me to know how to use their apps because I know how to use a computer. I'm not a software expert.

Quote:
Do you also lecture people who know nothing about cars
Yes, all the time. People who don't understand the basics of how to operate a vehicle should have their license revoked.

Quote:
People don't want Windows 10. If their old Win7 laptop is broken or lost, consumers may defect from PC's faster.
People will use whatever version of Windows is available that will run their apps. Everyone has been saying they hate the new Windows forever. They eventually switch because they have to. I can't count the number of times someone has told me they hated Windows 7 because it's not XP.

Quote:
People will pay extra for their apps to work, the OS to not suck, and hardware that doesn't suck.
The average person will not, the average person will pay as little as possible for a machine that does whatever they want it to do and is decently responsive while doing it.

Quote:
The win7/win8 activation loophole was left open on purpose because of how bad adoption is going. My guess is pirated Win7/Win8 still activate as well, meaning Windows 10 is "free" for most.
Can't say I disagree with this at all.

Tags
acid trips in it, cupcakes, microsoft, new world order, what were they thinking, windows 7, windows 8.1