SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Misc Technology

Misc Technology Other technology related discussions

Old 04-21-2017, 06:35 AM
8-bit overflow

Toettoetdaan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
That timetable looks way too ambitious, especially considering the death of Moore's Law. You won't get a $5 SoC capable of flawlessly emulating GameCube next year.
I guess he switched N64 and GameCube in his list. Note that Dolphin for Android on a Snapdragon 600 renders Mario Kart at a playable framerate.
That is on a Arduino 320 that is already 10 times as fast as the original. So give it two years and a better emulator and it gets relatively close to a 5dollar SoC.

EDIT:
Ok, I did a bit of reading and I seems that a tweaked Snapdragon 835 without throttling is more playable like. So maybe we need to wait a bit longer...
Zen will be equal to Intel's 14nm offering.

Last edited by Toettoetdaan; 04-21-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toettoetdaan View Post
I guess he switched N64 and GameCube in his list. Note that Dolphin for Android on a Snapdragon 600 renders Mario Kart at a playable framerate.
That is on a Arduino 320 that is already 10 times as fast as the original. So give it two years and a better emulator and it gets relatively close to a 5dollar SoC.

EDIT:
Ok, I did a bit of reading and I seems that a tweaked Snapdragon 835 without throttling is more playable like. So maybe we need to wait a bit longer...
Yes, I reversed them.

Don't know if gamecube and beyond would be in that demand by then. Switch will be cheap as will VC titles/prices. NES, SNES, and N64 are likely the only ones to really sell.

2018/2019 should also see a Switch home console; just sell three different limited edition versions pre-loaded with a limited selection of a certain generations games.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

sdlvx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Yes, I reversed them.

Don't know if gamecube and beyond would be in that demand by then. Switch will be cheap as will VC titles/prices. NES, SNES, and N64 are likely the only ones to really sell.

2018/2019 should also see a Switch home console; just sell three different limited edition versions pre-loaded with a limited selection of a certain generations games.
NES-mini was a big surprise, apparently there is a big market of people who don't know how to use emulators. The people who are buying NES-mini are not hardcore gamers as they're probably not emulating on PC or their phones.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Banned

JeeBee will become famous soon enough

Some people just like official things, and devices that do specific things.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:54 PM
>intel 4004

testbug00 will become famous soon enough

So, I got a Mi Mix.

I'm 100% not getting a Switch now. I'll wait until the F.E. games getting released on it are on a future platform, or even unofficially emulate* them.

How the hell is the Switch as large, and as little battery as it is?

And before you jump in with the price Boom, it was the high end model, one of the highest margin Xiaomi products, at approx. $500 before VAT. With more expensive LTE, storage, RAM, display, materials, Cameras, SoC, etc.
Please recall as linked earlier, gross margin for average Xiaomi product is equal to Nintendo's gross margin on Wii. Similar should be expected for Switch. I also Assume a higher gross margin for highest end products.

*I have no problem emulating Nintendo products from a moral ground given they don't care about following copyright law themselves. If it doesn't apply to Nintendo regarding Nintendo products. It doesn't apply to me regarding Nintendo products from a moral ground.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:14 PM
>intel 4004

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
So, I got a Mi Mix.

I'm 100% not getting a Switch now. I'll wait until the F.E. games getting released on it are on a future platform, or even unofficially emulate* them.

How the hell is the Switch as large, and as little battery as it is?

And before you jump in with the price Boom, it was the high end model, one of the highest margin Xiaomi products, at approx. $500 before VAT. With more expensive LTE, storage, RAM, display, materials, Cameras, SoC, etc.
Please recall as linked earlier, gross margin for average Xiaomi product is equal to Nintendo's gross margin on Wii. Similar should be expected for Switch. I also Assume a higher gross margin for highest end products.

*I have no problem emulating Nintendo products from a moral ground given they don't care about following copyright law themselves. If it doesn't apply to Nintendo regarding Nintendo products. It doesn't apply to me regarding Nintendo products from a moral ground.
Would you like to share a link to where you purchased this for $500 USD shipped to America? Does it have a valid USA warranty? I see closer to $600 USD with no warranty = 2 Switches could be purchased.

Quote:
Cons:
Lacks AAA games
Lacks physical buttons
Lacks ability to dock to a TV.
No warranty

S8+ exists so we have valid, profitable device being sold in USA:
http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/ga.../buy/s/Summary

Quote:
Cons:
Lacks AAA games
Lacks physical buttons

Pros:
Option DEX dock adds TV connectivity but not really tested for gaming yet
Warranty
S8+ is $850 USD retail + dex dock. You can buy three Nintendo Switch units.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:57 AM
8-bit overflow

rarson is on a distinguished road

What are the AAA games available for Switch right now?

Regardless of how well the system itself sells, if the software doesn't sell, then it's a failure. Consoles make money by licensing third-party developers. That's the big knock on Wii: despite its success, its third-party library was largely shovelware. In my opinion, regardless of how well the Switch sells, the real question that still remains is whether or not it'll receive decent third-party support.

I hope for Nintendo's sake that it does, because the gaming industry needs Nintendo to keep trying new things, otherwise things are going to become very boring.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:12 AM
>intel 4004

testbug00 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Would you like to share a link to where you purchased this for $500 USD shipped to America? Does it have a valid USA warranty? I see closer to $600 USD with no warranty = 2 Switches could be purchased.
I paid $650 for it, which Given the Chinese VAT paid on it, an extra 10% for getting it in the USA is fine.

But, we're talking about MSRP and margins. Yes? So what I paid matters because....?

But, my point is the COGS.

The RAM+storage+cameras at at minimum $100, reaching up to $125 or so.

Excluding the more expensive display, (should be) much more expensive SoC, few extra dollars for supporting LTE.

And we're still talking Xiaomi's average gross margin of a bit over 10%.

I imagine on the high end products the margin is probably closer to 25%. Unless they actually keep target margins the same on all segments.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM
>intel 4004

Quote:
I paid $650 for it, which Given the Chinese VAT paid on it, an extra 10% for getting it in the USA is fine.

But, we're talking about MSRP and margins. Yes? So what I paid matters because....?

Excluding the more expensive display, (should be) much more expensive SoC, few extra dollars for supporting LTE.

I imagine on the high end products the margin is probably closer to 25%. Unless they actually keep target margins the same on all segments.
Who would pay $500-$650 for a Nintendo handheld? It matters because you need those margins on more affordable devices in the $299 range. What $299 device with 10-25% margins exists that would have been a better choice than Tegra that has same docking capabilities?

Day one profit of an unknown amount:
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/0...old-at-profit/

Why do you have to work backward from a $500-$640 chinese flagship to create a hypothetical competitor? Surely there is a device out their with the specs you want to create. Nintendo would have created an "xperia" smartphone and been laughed at. Look at how terrible Sony has done using smartphones. They got absolutely nowhere with the playstation brand, library, and devs. Devs just stayed with smartphones vs xperia devices.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

sdlvx will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Neo Geo (home version) and 3DO all aimed for those price points, and they failed massively. $300 is the high range for a successful home console. Look what happened with PS3 marketshare when the slim version was out at $299.

Tags
nintendo, switch