SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Article discussion

Article discussion Talk about front page articles

Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM
2^10

toughluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkhior View Post
If you're willing to replace copper with fiber, 2nd hand 4 GBits FC gear has become quite cheap for longer distance and even for switched stuff. For high-speed, low-latency, short distance between only two systems, 2nd hand copper IB DDR is hard to beat (IB switches are big and *noisy* for the most part).
Crud, prices start at a mere two bucks. Pity I don't have a raised floor at home and that I have to move my desk around, I'd have to think of a way to make the connection flexible enough to not break when I push or pull the desk.
With SCSI target mode on Linux (or COMSTAR on Solaris), it's absurdly easy to set it up.
Really the only problem is to connect the two ends together. I'd prefer to use a switch in between, but it would be in the attic where it gets hot in Summer and drops below zero in Winter.
Maybe an LC-LC coupler just to split the patch cord in two so if it breaks, I don't have to pull the whole length...
The idea is unbelievably enticing...

Opinions presented in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Last edited by toughluck; 04-25-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:59 PM
8-bit overflow

JohnJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughluck View Post
Crud, prices start at a mere two bucks. Pity I don't have a raised floor at home and that I have to move my desk around, I'd have to think of a way to make the connection flexible enough to not break when I push or pull the desk.
Indoor microwave antennae. You get the added bonus of not having to get up from your desk to heat up your lunch.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:57 AM
2^10

chithanh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Hasn't PC gaming been static for a while now? IIRC ~$30B and 25-35% of gaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronspink View Post
Both pc gaming hardware and software have been growing.
I will quote myself from the Nintendo thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
In absolute numbers, PC gaming is slightly growing (from USD 30.0 bln in 2013 to USD 31.9 bln in 2016).
When it comes to share of the gaming market, PC gaming is declining, from 40% in 2013 to only 32% in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJay View Post
Indoor microwave antennae. You get the added bonus of not having to get up from your desk to heat up your lunch.
According to Wikipedia, microwave links use transmission power "typically from 30 mW to 0.3 W", so it will not significantly heat your lunch even if you point the microwave transmitter at it the whole morning.

Last edited by chithanh; 04-26-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 AM
2^10

toughluck will become famous soon enough

I didn't see the slides in the Nintendo thread, but I would like to say that they're an example of a couple of really great presentation slides I've seen recently.
Well-aligned graphics, original, no clip-art, quite pretty, and on top of that, informative!
Did we finally get out of PowerPoint hell?

Opinions presented in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
In absolute numbers, PC gaming is slightly growing (from USD 30.0 bln in 2013 to USD 31.9 bln in 2016).
When it comes to share of the gaming market, PC gaming is declining, from 40% in 2013 to only 32% in 2016.
30%, 31%, 30%, 27%. If you remove "web games" doesn't it remain static then a decline finally in 2016? Seems those people left for mobile with only 5% left; don't need a PC to run a browser game.

It's still a large healthy market for the time being but I don't see the market growing without guidance and huge investment. Microsoft needs to push Win10 gaming or Valve needs to push Steammachines/"build a console" strategy. The only thing we have is AMD and Ryzen which won't provide a meaningful uplift for the PC market.