SemiAccurate Forums  

 
Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Off topic

Off topic Posts not related to technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1461  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:06 AM
GeorgiD's Avatar
GeorgiD GeorgiD is offline
2^11
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sofia Area, Bulgaria
Posts: 2,793
GeorgiD will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive View Post
Yes, and the tooth fairy sprinkles pixie dust on all the good children ;-)
Even George Lucas had more shades between dark and bright. Who defines what's good and what's bad? What constitutes good/bad? For life itself - as in nature, animals and plants - there isn't even good or bad. Just life.

What you call dark side, might be a legitimate cause. What's called good, oppressive or outright cruel.
There should be a special science dedicated to studying that. Or at least a very important and serious subject for that matter.

Watch the movie, I already told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiD View Post
Watch the movie 'The Choice Is Ours' 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5ivvcTvRQ
Reply With Quote
  #1462  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM
boom boom is offline
>intel 4004
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,792
boom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurent View Post
So you want France to choose a fascist. That's how you want to see the world getting better ?
Quote:
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
The world? Your world? Their world? Those are three completely different things to the far right with only the latter really mattering.

Don't worry. Once the scapegoat is taken care of, the alt-right will be the genie back in the bottle.
Reply With Quote
  #1463  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM
toughluck toughluck is offline
2^10
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Krakow Area, Poland
Posts: 1,489
toughluck will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurent View Post
Change Muslim to Christian and that still applies. Now think how *you* (assuming you are a Christian) would prevent Christians from killing physicians who practice abortion. Now should I blame you and your religion for that because you couldn't do anything?
While I am against abortion, I am also against the methods employed by these and their actions have been rightly condemned by pretty much every significant Christian denomination and they cannot count on support of any serious group.

Interestingly, although Christianity has clear leaders, it is compatible with the idea of separation of church and state.

Conversely, Islam is inexorably tied to civic and civil matters, and there is no room for secularism, as the head of an Islamic state is also the head of the local group of Muslims.
This is important because in the case of Muslim terrorist attacks, you have no central religious authority (or authorities) that could condemn the attack and that could invoke any sort of punishment or demand repentance from the perpetrator. Instead, you have multiple religious figures, none of which has any ultimate say in the lives of all Muslims.
Therefore, you have some groups that condemn the attacks, and other groups that do not.
Which one is right? It's convenient and comfortable to think that the former group has more Islamist mindshare, but frankly, it's also very naïve.

Quote:
Note that I tend to agree with you. More Muslims should make it clear that they condemn and do the best they can to get rid of their plague. But that doesn't mean I will call Islam a terrorist religion.
The problem with Islam is that apparently so far, Salafist mullahs have free rein in preaching at mosques across Europe.
While I have nothing against Muslims personally, immigrants should understand that they are only tolerated as long as they agree to common rules and laws in Europe*. However, as of yet, governments are unwilling to forbid Salafist teaching at mosques and evict radicals from the EU.

*) This is no different from expecting economic immigrants and guest workers from East Europe, particularly from Communist Bloc countries to follow laws of West Europe over the last fifty years or so. I'd really hope to think that if groups of such workers moved there and plotted a Communist Revolution, they would have been dealt with appropriately.
__________________
There are two types of people: Those who make backups and those who will.

Opinions presented in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1464  
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM
system7's Avatar
system7 system7 is offline
2^11
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 2,713
system7 will become famous soon enough
Default

As I've said so many times before, Good Ideas Win.

AFAIK life on Earth is purely experimental. We could be hit by a comet, or (even worse, IMO... ) a Labour Government tomorrow.

I was examining GeorgiD's recommended viewing: The Venus Project: The Choice is Ours.

I hate to say this, but some of the techniques employed reminded me of the hilarious satire which invented a bogus Religion Pyrasphere.

I am always deeply suspicious of well-meaning Wealthy and Intellectual Liberals proposing some sort of Utopia. Some sort of Star Trek future.

Talk about dream-World. But there was one thing they got right. Most of our biases are a result of conditioning and upbringing.

What's that saying? "A fool thinks himself wise. A wise man knows himself to be a fool." Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Which leads to the second thing the Venus Project got right. We must keep learning. I'm having a ball. The Universe is tremendously interesting. Mankind? Well, we are just Monkeys really.

But there is hope for us.
__________________
Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth, UK.
Reply With Quote
  #1465  
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Moral Hazard Moral Hazard is offline
2^10
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Basket of Deplorables, America
Posts: 1,241
Moral Hazard is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
The world? Your world? Their world? Those are three completely different things to the far right with only the latter really mattering.

Don't worry. Once the scapegoat is taken care of, the alt-right will be the genie back in the bottle.
What exactly is the difference between the "far right" and the "alt-right"?
__________________
“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - Gen Mad Dog Mattis

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #1466  
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Moral Hazard Moral Hazard is offline
2^10
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Basket of Deplorables, America
Posts: 1,241
Moral Hazard is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
What's that saying? "A fool thinks himself wise. A wise man knows himself to be a fool." Dunning-Kruger Effect.
Which explains my opinion of Bill Nye. I know I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to consider myself a "scientist", even if my MS has the word "science" in the name. Conversely I know the "science guy", with a bachelor's degree in engineering is even less qualified than me.

That said, I don't know if admitting my lack of expertise makes me "wise", though technically it is my last name.
__________________
“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - Gen Mad Dog Mattis

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SemiAccurate is a division of Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc. Copyright © 2009 Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc, all rights reserved.