SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Off topic

Off topic Posts not related to technology

Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
2^11

alvter will become famous soon enoughalvter will become famous soon enough
Default Imagining the Tenth Dimension

Many of you have probably seen this. I just saw it today. I think it's cool. Enjoy...

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJ6ROlTlUA

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBaYMESb8o
Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 AM
640k who needs more?

Game_boy is on a distinguished road

http://mathematicalmulticore.wordpre...nth-dimension/

This is terrible science. His ideas of compressing dimensions to a point doesn't help anything, and he's not explaining the ideas of string theory at all which are central to needing a tenth dimension. Time, and parallel universes, shouldn't be brought into the metaphor at all.

The tenth dimension, if it exists, would be a very, very small rolled up extent to explain properties of our current space.

Go and read The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene for a better understanding of what string theory means.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:55 PM
2^11

system7 will become famous soon enough

I love maths! Well done for raising the subject, Alvter!

Here's the familiar 5 Platonic solids that exist in 3 Space:

These have wonderful symettry. Here's the thing: In 4 dimensions there are 6. There is an extra one called a 600-cell. But go above that to 5D and above, and only 3 exist. Analogues of the tetrahedron, cube and octahedron. So really, 4D space/time is the most interesting place to live, if you follow.

In fact the most interesting 4D solid is the 24 cell, which is its own inverse. Jason Hise has visualised these in 3 dimensions at his site using what he calls MAYA 4D modelling software:
http://www.entropygames.net/

Personally, I love the tesseract, which is the 4D cube. I'll tell you about it if you want to know where it has taken me in trying to factorise the product of two primes, which is used in encryption.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM
itanic

fullermd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
So really, 4D space/time is the most interesting place to live, if you follow.
3-space is the only dimensionality where you can tie a knot in your shoelaces. What good's an interesting continuum you can't walk around in?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
2^11

James will become famous soon enough

Interesting. I'm gonna watch The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3346942339345# for some insight at least. I'm doing quantum electrodynamics atm and it's a complete head f**k tbh so I doubt this will make it worse.

Last edited by James; 04-20-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM
2^10

Thrillseeker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Interesting. I'm gonna watch The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3346942339345# for some insight at least. I'm doing quantum electrodynamics atm and it's a complete head f**k tbh so I doubt this will make it worse.
Don't take it too serious. Quantum ED probably will be revamped completely in 20 years. Here's a quote from Richard Feynman (one of the creators of QED):

Feynman, who originated the “renormalization” process (with Schwinger and Tomonaga), himself called it a “. . .shell game. . .Having to resort to such hocus-pocus has prevented us from proving that the theory of quantum electrodynamics is mathematically self-consistent. . .[renormalization] is what I would call a dippy process!” (Feynman, 1985) Asked for what he had won the Nobel Prize, Feynman replied, “For sweeping them [the infinities] under the rug.” (Gleick, 1992)

The "infinities" referred to are referencing that QED can't even calculate the rest mass of an electron without "renormalization", i.e. sticking known values into the formulas where they would otherwise blow up into infinite values.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM
2^10

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post

Here's the familiar 5 Platonic solids that exist in 3 Space:

These have wonderful symettry. Here's the thing: In 4 dimensions there are 6. There is an extra one called a 600-cell. But go above that to 5D and above, and only 3 exist. Analogues of the tetrahedron, cube and octahedron. So really, 4D space/time is the most interesting place to live, if you follow.
Yeah, but the higher dimensions would include all the lower dimensions, so I think your analysis fails. You'd make a good travel agent though.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Location: If you know where Voorheesville, NY is, my condolences!
rich wargo has a spectacular aura aboutrich wargo has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I really did understand string theory better after I read Greene's book. Delightful, and lots of pretty pictures.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 PM
640k who needs more?

Brother Michigan will become famous soon enough

I'm just going to go with my obligatory "no physics discussions until you take some classes" comment here.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 AM
2^10

Yeah, maybe we can learn all about "dark matter".