SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Off topic

Off topic Posts not related to technology

Old 04-21-2011, 11:43 AM
2^11

James will become famous soon enough

Still got about 1/4 of it to go but it's been a really good read. I've seen lots of these cases where the community is hell-bent on propping up the current solution even when it's questionable at best.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
2^10

Thrillseeker will become famous soon enough

Yeah, a lot of neat stuff in there. I find it funny that the paper was written by a land surveyor with a degree in french lit.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

system7 will become famous soon enough

Actually, I found D.L.Hotson's two papers rather vague and unsatisfying, and just the sort of thing that will appeal to the scientifically untrained crackpots who believe in Aliens, conspiracies and stuff!

http://openseti.org/Opening.shtml

He supposes arbitrarily that a neutron is composed of 9180 (136x135) electron-positron virtual pairs, Why? Well really because it gives 1836 as the neutron mass when divided by 10.

Actually, I could do a lot better myself by supposing that a string-like 10 dimensional hypersphere has a unit radius. What is it's hypervolume? Pi to the fifth divided by 120= 2.55016404. Now place 720 of them on the edges of a remarkably symmetrical and unique 4D 600-Cell and you get 1836.11811 electron masses.

FWIW, the Proton is actually 1836.15267 electron masses, and a neutron is 1838.68366. But with a bit of fudging for relativity and fine structure constant I think it might work. It certainly has mathematical elegance!

Dirac's Equation is certainly a fine piece of work, which predicts the positron on the back of a beermat calculation, and their may be a case for supposing the Aether really exists, but D.L.Hotson does nothing beyond vague handwaving.

Now to get back on topic, here is a 4 dimensional Hypercube exhibiting TWO rotations around TWO planes, one of which is complex. Notice that the correct description of rotation is around a plane, not an axis as we erroneously think in 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xN4DxdiFrs

In fact most 10D theories like Einstein's General Relativity and Tensors in general use 4 dimensions of space-time and 6 other variables. Whether you choose to call the 6 extra variables dimensions is a matter of convenience in creating a 10D matrix to do the maths. I personally prefer to think we live in a 4D space-time universe.

Last edited by system7; 04-24-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
2^10

Actually, I would say all the loads of followers who say the "aether" doesn't exist are more likely "politically motivated" scientists.

Tesla believed in the aether. I think it's up to people to disprove it, and the Michelson Morley experiment was a bunch of malarkey. Pretty hard to prove something doesn't exist when you don't even vaguely know what that something is.

Radio waves travel through a vacuum just fine. What is "waving"? You have two choices:

1) aether exists
2) action at a distance exists

I'll back #1 with Tesla any day. You are free to back #2 with Einstein.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 PM
640k who needs more?

Brother Michigan will become famous soon enough

I'm just going to go with my obligatory "no physics discussions until you take some classes" comment here.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 AM
2^10

Yeah, maybe we can learn all about "dark matter".
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 AM
640k who needs more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
Yeah, maybe we can learn all about "dark matter".
There is empirical proof of dark matter. We know it exists, we just don't know exactly what it is made up of.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Banned

Well, dark matter is really just a new problem with the horribly complicated standard model (SM) of particle physics, which is difficult to reconcile with gravity theory. The SM seems to add another particle and force every time the maths fails to predict reality! Currently SM theorists are hoping finding the Higgs Boson might save its bacon, but it's tottering!

Getting back on-topic, 10D string theories are really quite elegant, but the 11D M-Theory might be needed for further progress, and even to unite the 5 main current string theories.

Where does string theory come from? Well really the experimental observation that excited states of the Hadrons (protons, Mesons) seem to be related to the SQUARE of the rest mass. This needs a Hooke's Law force that was quite unexpected, and strings of gluons and such just might make it work. This methodology is rather like Feynman's QED theory which started as a successful attempt to calculate the anomaly from Dirac's predicted g-factor of 2 in the electron magnetic moment.

Prof. Leo Susskind of Stanford Univ. elegantly explains it here in his lecture course:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Stanford...20/25haxRuZQUk
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
640k who needs more?

DM can exist within the standard model, but we're getting very close to ruling it out with the new results from XENON. Either we'll find out what it is in the next decade or we'll have evidence for maybe moving from the standard model of today to something like a supersymmetric model. Or we could be on the wrong course entirely, but we'll have evidence for or against that stance, as well. That's science at work, my friends!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

I don't know why we are getting waylaid by DARK MATTER in this discussion of 10 Dimensions! Dark Matter is just the heavy particles that don't figure much in the statistics, like Left Tackles in football. They are just those fat guys who don't really do much except make up the protective weight of the galaxies, like heavy neutrinos. You may disagree.

I've been watching "The Elegant Universe" which is a nice show. Everything about String Theory is pretty. I liked the way that the genius mathematician Leonhard Euler's Beta Function cropped up in strong interactions:

The Beta function is composed of Gamma functions which are a continuous factorial with an interesting value of Root Pi at value half. Then we move on to the crucial observation that the strong interaction and gravity share the same SO(32) 10D symmettry which is what 496 (half 31x32) as an answer tells you:

Lastly, I enjoyed looking at alternatives to small round objects within our own 3D/4D world. Strings are loops sometimes, a bit like doughnuts or vortices that Dolphins like playing with:

Very neat. I could say more about these Bubble Rings or Strings, because the way they interact is quite surprising and instructive.