SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Off topic

Off topic Posts not related to technology

Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM
8-bit overflow

Drashek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottis View Post
I'd think we have already seen what happens when things get spiced up with god flavor. Sadly, us human seem to be in need of another massive culling again.
That is an abhorrent suggestion and anyone who truly believed it should be towards the top of the list. What the human race needs is the same level of education, health care and nutrition for everyone - we should be looking after the bottom line.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM
2^10

Rottis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drashek View Post
That is an abhorrent suggestion and anyone who truly believed it should be towards the top of the list. What the human race needs is the same level of education, health care and nutrition for everyone - we should be looking after the bottom line.
My point isn't about instigating or wishing something would happen to anybody else. It's an cynical observation about what's going on and what I expect the results will be.

Western societies need to change dramatically for world to change to better. We are what our politics are and most problems are caused by those politics during last several hundred years. There's much wrong with world, but it's not going to get better by doing what's being done.

Nothing wrong with driving to be a better person, but what should 'a better person' be in this situation? Rebel to force a change in current system? Voting sure doesn't seem to do any good as all options seem to be bad.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

system7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiD View Post
Guys, I have one serious trouble understanding something

What does it mean when someone tells you "you are no one"? Does it mean that the opinion of that person is at such level that they wouldn't differentiate if you exist or not? And if this person is your colleague and partner who otherwise wanted you to stay close in order to work with them?
It's all about the ego, isn't it?
Quote:
"While the history books are filled with tales of obsessive visionary geniuses who remade the world in their image with sheer, almost irrational force, I've found that history is also made by individuals who fought their egos at every turn, who eschewed the spotlight, and who put their higher goals above their desire for recognition." --from the prologue

Many of us insist the main impediment to a full, successful life is the outside world. In fact, the most common enemy lies within: our ego. Early in our careers, it impedes learning and the cultivation of talent. With success, it can blind us to our faults and sow future problems. In failure, it magnifies each blow and makes recovery more difficult. At every stage, ego holds us back.

Ego Is the Enemy draws on a vast array of stories and examples, from literature to philosophy to his-tory. We meet fascinating figures such as George Marshall, Jackie Robinson, Katharine Graham, Bill Belichick, and Eleanor Roosevelt, who all reached the highest levels of power and success by conquering their own egos. Their strategies and tactics can be ours as well.

In an era that glorifies social media, reality TV, and other forms of shameless self-promotion, the battle against ego must be fought on many fronts. Armed with the lessons in this book, as Holiday writes, "you will be less invested in the story you tell about your own specialness, and as a result, you will be liberated to accomplish the world-changing work you've set out to achieve."
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ego-Enemy-R...ryanholiday-21
It's quite a sneaky trick to become invisible, whilst pursuing your own goals in the World. Just get on with the work. It's all about the Action really. I think Running Back "Beast Mode" Marshawn Lynch said that.

Quote:
Yeah, in your Marxist dreams! And who says it's all about Humans. There is room in my World for Dolphins, Elephants and Squirrels and even unspoilt forests. But the fact is that 90% of living creatures die young. Otherwise we'd have a population explosion of any life form.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:25 AM
2^11

GeorgiD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Some context would help. Probably not as extreme as them saying that it would make no difference to them whether you existed or not but rather that you are not part of the "equation" so to speak.
The context I canot share. But I have found the answer to my question. Thanks, Google, you know everything

[QUOTE]When you mean you're not a person of importance, which do you say?:
(1) You're nobody.
(2) You're a nobody.

According to most dictionaries I've consulted, (2) is the answer.

But in reality do you ever say (1) instead?

Also, in a different context, could (1) ever be a valid statement?
If it could, what does (1) mean then?[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The second, but that's not quite the meaning. It doesn't mean "you're not a person of importance" (such as a public official). It means "you are of no importance at all". It would be a rude and cruel thing to say to someone.[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Although it is true that poets often bend syntax to their own purpose, in this instance Emily Dickinson speaks colloquially. It is not uncommon to hear "I'm nobody," in everyday speech, where it often serves as a kind of disclaimer: "I'm nobody; but, in my opinion, this painting is awful." As Paula pointed out, it would be rude and cruel indeed to say, "You're nobody!" Calling yourself a nobody, on the other hand, is socially acceptable, especially, unfortunately, for women.[QUOTE]

https://forum.wordreference.com/thre...obody.2770615/

When anyone says to you "you are nobody", that anyone stops to exist in your world.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:36 AM
8-bit overflow

Drashek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottis View Post
My point isn't about instigating or wishing something would happen to anybody else. It's an cynical observation about what's going on and what I expect the results will be.

Western societies need to change dramatically for world to change to better. We are what our politics are and most problems are caused by those politics during last several hundred years. There's much wrong with world, but it's not going to get better by doing what's being done.

Nothing wrong with driving to be a better person, but what should 'a better person' be in this situation? Rebel to force a change in current system? Voting sure doesn't seem to do any good as all options seem to be bad.
Far more reasonable than the "Holocaust / Great Leap Forward 2.0" I thought you were trying to peddle Rottis . I think the problem is with the shepherds and not the flock though.

I guess a "better" person would rebel or inspire change. Maybe all voting options are bad but some seem much better than others - usually the ones with the fewest votes and little media coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
...Yeah, in your Marxist dreams! And who says it's all about Humans...
That was you Steve

Tags
good person, goodness, love, values