SemiAccurate Forums  

 
Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Misc Technology

Misc Technology Other technology related discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1441  
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
sdlvx sdlvx is offline
2^11
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,208
sdlvx will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
have you looked at the data usage of some multiplayer games?
I think I broke 1MB for a 30 minute game of HotS once.

I am sure there are games which can use much more data, but that it is entirely possible to design multiplayer around using very little data.

The switch already has build in controllers, game carts and a fan. That's very different from android tablets.

being able to tell rock/paper/scissors and how far away your hand is along with a bunch of garbage like that is a non-meaningful differentiation.



I've tethered for playing multiplayer games. Have you?
I've tethered before, it was pretty underwhelming. I'm not in a major city, so I always had between 80ms and 200ms of latency, and the signal would randomly fade and cause a lot of connection problems.
__________________
Being unable to quote multiple people in a post is not a strong argument for being skilled in tech.
Reply With Quote
  #1442  
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Moral Hazard Moral Hazard is offline
2^10
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Basket of Deplorables, America
Posts: 1,142
Moral Hazard is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
Nintendo had to emphasize how 3DS is not going away and ask people to keep on buying it. And how Switch is a home console, which has a portable function, but "first and foremost", it is for using it at home.
That's quite a narrow needle to thread. They've done video output from Nintendo DS before (albeit through the GameCube). They could have just added video output to the "New 3ds", and sold it for $100 less than The Switch, if not at an even lower price. It still would be "a high enough resolution to be fun."

As it stands it seems like the market for The Switch might only ever exist because Nintendo refuses to add video out to the "New 3ds" (assuming the Switches' "high enough resolution to be fun" 720p isn't prefered to the "New 3ds'" "high enough resolution to be fun" 480p effective resolution, which it shouldn't be since, as I have stated, they are both "high enough resolution to be fun").
__________________
“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - Gen Mad Dog Mattis

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #1443  
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
boom boom is offline
>intel 4004
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,547
boom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
have you looked at the data usage of some multiplayer games?
I think I broke 1MB for a 30 minute game of HotS once.

I am sure there are games which can use much more data, but that it is entirely possible to design multiplayer around using very little data.

The switch already has build in controllers, game carts and a fan. That's very different from android tablets.

being able to tell rock/paper/scissors and how far away your hand is along with a bunch of garbage like that is a non-meaningful differentiation.

I've tethered for playing multiplayer games. Have you?
"Nintendo Switch exclusive online access provided by Verizon Wireless."
or
Insert a sim card - "This device is not supported on XYZ carrier."

It's another thing that takes resources away that were dedicated to games. I am pointing out that adding an LTE radio would snowball into even more non-gaming features creeping into the device. I think holding these features back for SwitchV2 is a better idea. I would rather Nintendo focus on nothing but games, games, and games.
Reply With Quote
  #1444  
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
boom boom is offline
>intel 4004
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,547
boom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moral Hazard View Post
That's quite a narrow needle to thread. They've done video output from Nintendo DS before (albeit through the GameCube). They could have just added video output to the "New 3ds", and sold it for $100 less than The Switch, if not at an even lower price. It still would be "a high enough resolution to be fun."

As it stands it seems like the market for The Switch might only ever exist because Nintendo refuses to add video out to the "New 3ds" (assuming the Switches' "high enough resolution to be fun" 720p isn't prefered to the "New 3ds'" "high enough resolution to be fun" 480p effective resolution, which it shouldn't be since, as I have stated, they are both "high enough resolution to be fun").
Don't innovate. Fix old, no new. Fall back to 480p (you didn't explain how this would work) to 1080p/4K TV sets. The NES classic outputs 1080p.
Reply With Quote
  #1445  
Old Today, 12:52 AM
testbug00 testbug00 is offline
>intel 4004
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,460
testbug00 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
"Nintendo Switch exclusive online access provided by Verizon Wireless."
or
Insert a sim card - "This device is not supported on XYZ carrier."
I think the problem of making a "universal" SIM card slot was solved.


Quote:
It's another thing that takes resources away that were dedicated to games. I am pointing out that adding an LTE radio would snowball into even more non-gaming features creeping into the device. I think holding these features back for SwitchV2 is a better idea. I would rather Nintendo focus on nothing but games, games, and games.
Completely valid.

However, I think that cutting the bundled dock/joycon dock and including LTE (exclusively for online gaming even) would be a better design choice. Such a setup would actually be a very "good" way to justify cost for multiplayer, you get "free" LTE connectivity for multiplayer games with the subscription (up to .5 GB a month (which would be a lot based on games I've tracked data usage for)).
__________________
-Q
Reply With Quote
  #1446  
Old Today, 03:40 PM
JeeBee JeeBee is offline
2^11
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,953
JeeBee will become famous soon enough
Default

If the industry makes a viable eSIM, and a cheap-enough LTE solution (it only needs to be one of the lower rates), and if the per-device patent/licensing fees aren't stupid on top, then it could become viable in a future Switch. I think adding mobile connectivity may end up adding a lot of red tape in signing off the device too, so another reason to leave it out.

That's assuming that people want to play online multiplayer games more than single player and local multiplayer games.
Reply With Quote
  #1447  
Old Today, 05:47 PM
boom boom is offline
>intel 4004
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,547
boom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
I think the problem of making a "universal" SIM card slot was solved.



Completely valid.

However, I think that cutting the bundled dock/joycon dock and including LTE (exclusively for online gaming even) would be a better design choice. Such a setup would actually be a very "good" way to justify cost for multiplayer, you get "free" LTE connectivity for multiplayer games with the subscription (up to .5 GB a month (which would be a lot based on games I've tracked data usage for)).
eSIM's can still be blocked. You really underestimate the greed of carriers extorting nintendo for more profit on the services. You're asking Nintendo is bundle this service into their online multiplayer fee. That is thousands of carriers to negotiate with.

I stated I thought Nintendo would pursue a "whispernet" type LTE service for the device. I'm not upset if Nintendo chooses to devote all resources into games and building a successful platform first.
Reply With Quote
  #1448  
Old Today, 05:53 PM
boom boom is offline
>intel 4004
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,547
boom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeBee View Post
If the industry makes a viable eSIM, and a cheap-enough LTE solution (it only needs to be one of the lower rates), and if the per-device patent/licensing fees aren't stupid on top, then it could become viable in a future Switch. I think adding mobile connectivity may end up adding a lot of red tape in signing off the device too, so another reason to leave it out.

That's assuming that people want to play online multiplayer games more than single player and local multiplayer games.
Don't forget qcomm played hardball during the negotiations--if they happened:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...or-device-used

Thousands of carriers around the globe with region free Switches. Region free devices = people would demand mobile data to be region free.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nintendo


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SemiAccurate is a division of Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc. Copyright © 2009 Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc, all rights reserved.