SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > CPUs

CPUs Talk about processors and related technology

Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 AM
2^10

Seronx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
Obviously it is a 14nm Planar Fd-SOI process. A shrink of FDX22.

!!!

obvious sarcasm is obvious
The direct successor to 22FDX is 12FDX.

At this point and time both nodes have the analog and phy performance of two FinFET nodes ahead of them.

22FDX(20nm FEOL) = 14nm FinFET (Intel)
12FDX(13nm FEOL) = 7nm FinFET (TSMC)

Any corporation who doesn't go FDSOI and has a mobile/embedded focus will get blown away by FDSOI parts by competitors.

Last edited by Seronx; 08-08-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:12 AM
2^10

Caza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abwx View Post
Actually they have an integrated SB but not with as much ports as Promontory, that s a smart choice as it s easier to upgrade an external SB than the one in a SoC...
I think even Kaveri had an internal mini-southbridge but they didn't sell it that way. They sold it as an APU so they called it an APU.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:51 AM
2^10

Abwx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caza View Post
I think even Kaveri had an internal mini-southbridge but they didn't sell it that way. They sold it as an APU so they called it an APU.

That wasnt the case, Kaveri had an external SB even in its mobile variant although this latter model was consuming only 0.75W instead of the 4W or so of the DT version, full integration of a complete SB was done with Carrizo, and previously also in Kabini/Beema.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM
2^11

JeeBee will become famous soon enough

I think that having a minimal but feature-complete southbridge in the SoC is a good move by AMD. It can be used as-is on mobile and SFF systems without the I/O extender promontory chip.

You don't need more than 2 SATA ports on these systems, especially if not having a southbridge opens up a fast PCIe option for a SSD.

I really hope that we have 10Gbps USB 3 on-board at some point.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:55 AM
640k who needs more?

Alps will become famous soon enough

I didn't say Zen has been delayed, I said it's late. Are the partners getting ready for the back to school season? Updating their catalog with Zen parts? Uhmm, not around here. But let's assume the usual business, non-intel-loving amd partners being briefed by amd after the intel-loving tech sites, so this silence would be perfectly normal. But where is the marketing? Where is the logo? Where is the hype building?
Consumers are going to buy skylake systems in the back to school, so overpriced that they're not gonna replace them in a while. Businesses are buying skylake in the holidays, because the distributor channels are filled with skylake, so guess what is gonna be sold 'em.

Last edited by Alps; 08-09-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:04 AM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alps View Post
I didn't say Zen has been delayed, I said it's late. Are the partners getting ready for the back to school season? Updating their catalog with Zen parts? Uhmm, not around here. But let's assume the usual business, non-intel-loving amd partners being briefed by amd after the intel-loving tech sites, so this silence would be perfectly normal. But where is the marketing? Where is the logo? Where is the hype building?
Consumers are going to buy skylake systems in the back to school, so overpriced that they're not gonna replace them in a while. Businesses are buying skylake in the holidays, because the distributor channels are filled with skylake, so guess what is gonna be sold 'em.
Tough to market and hype something that AMD can't even get out the door (AM4 boards). Raven ridge had no shot to be ready to combat skylake for fall sales.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:32 AM
2^11

JeeBee will become famous soon enough

IIRC there is a Zen Logo, a circular swooshy thing.

The problem is that everything we can see suggests Zen is nowhere near. AM4 board rumours are thin on the ground (remember when we thought AMD would launch them in March?) and Bristol Ridge on desktop is mythical.

I know AMD like keeping things close to prevent leaks, but at some point they've got to start building some kind of hype, even with their inept marketing efforts. We can write off that hopeful October Zen release because the hypey hints (likely via Twitter :/) would have started already in order to keep people waiting instead of buying.

There was a rumour that Promontory had a USB bug. The lack of boards with it and Bristol Ridge suggest that this is true, and maybe everything is delayed for the new stepping (hopefully not at the transistor level).

But yeah, if AMD could do Zen for holiday sales they would. Back to School is missed but there was never any indication it would be hit, and mobile Stoney Ridge/Bristol Ridge are more than adequate here when the high end is all Macbook sales.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 AM
640k who needs more?

NaroonGTX is on a distinguished road

I don't think we'll get Zen or BR anytime soon on desktop. I was hopeful to just be able to build a BR system ahead of time to abandon my ancient FM1 platform, but it doesn't look like even that will launch until Nov/Dec timeframe.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 AM
>intel 4004

DCO will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresdenboy View Post
A core complex might be tightly integrated, similar to CUs in the GPU, where there are also no half enabled CUs. Of course, a CU contains much less logic.
Jaguar:
http://static.betazeta.com/www.chw.n.../Jaguar-CU.jpg
I don't see any reason why they should have less flexibility with the new cores.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:33 AM
640k who needs more?

Dresdenboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
Jaguar:
http://static.betazeta.com/www.chw.n.../Jaguar-CU.jpg
I don't see any reason why they should have less flexibility with the new cores.
OK, they might technically do it. But there are now 2 complexes in SR, disabling cores in just one of them might cause some imbalances. And disabling cores in both CCX' might create an unusal topology.
AMD K12 looks to be at least a 4-wide design with SMT
AMD's Zen core (family 17h) to have ten pipelines per core