SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Article discussion

Article discussion Talk about front page articles

Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM
2^10

chithanh is on a distinguished road

I think x86 is ahead of ARM in Chromebooks. But Chromebooks are only a small minority of PC sales, and PCs are only a small minority of personal computing devices.

<10% of personal computing devices with less than 4 GB RAM would sound about right.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 AM
640k who needs more?

schroeder is on a distinguished road

Well you have to wonder how much of that is due to Intel's "something revenue" tough.
Once they pull the plug, that numbers will probably take a deep dive.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoses View Post
I don't think that AMD or Intel will develop something appropriate to this segment. Memory is here more expensive than CPU/SoC. Some of big guys (Mediatek?) may sell relatively cheap variants of their SoCs with 2GB RAM, 128bit memory bus on package. It would help with performance in <200USD phones.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-r-1...?skuId=5202900
vs
Quote:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-fli...?skuId=4290098

10.1" HD touch-screen display
Multitouch gesture control allows accurate response. 1280 x 800 native resolution. IPS technology for wide viewing angles.
Rockchip Cortex A17 processor
4GB system memory for basic multitasking
16GB flash memory
360° rotating technology lets you switch from a Chromebook to a tablet with ease.
ARM Mali-T764 graphics
ARM chromebooks are already beyond 2GB. HP looks to be getting into them as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM
2^10

pmoses is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
ARM chromebooks are already beyond 2GB. HP looks to be getting into them as well.
Thanks. In 4GB devices is x64_64 still majority, at least from what I see.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:14 PM
>intel 4004

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...ight-move-time

Quote:
Additionally, recommended minimum specifications for a Windows 10 "CloudBook" are listed for hardware manufacturers:

Quad-core (Celeron or better) processor.
4GB of RAM.
32GB of storage (64GB for 64-bit).
A battery larger than 40 WHr.
Fast eMMC or solid state drive (SSD) for storage technology.
Pen and touch (optional).
Windows Cloudbooks are here to save the PC market.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 PM
2^10

chithanh is on a distinguished road

The article's author apparently fails to grasp why Chomebooks are successful in the education market, and babbles about cost, battery life and .exe viruses. Anyway, let's see if Microsoft manages this time to convince OEMs to make sub-$200 Windows notebooks that don't suck.

Here Microsoft is lying to themselves though. My sister's Acer Chromebook C720 cold-boots in 10 seconds.
And sign-in to Windows Desktop when you use roaming profiles (like Chromebooks do) is nowhere near 5 seconds for any real-world use that I have encountered.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 PM
2^10

sirroman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
The article's author apparently fails to grasp why Chomebooks are successful in the education market, and babbles about cost, battery life and .exe viruses. Anyway, let's see if Microsoft manages this time to convince OEMs to make sub-$200 Windows notebooks that don't suck.

Here Microsoft is lying to themselves though. My sister's Acer Chromebook C720 cold-boots in 10 seconds.
And sign-in to Windows Desktop when you use roaming profiles (like Chromebooks do) is nowhere near 5 seconds for any real-world use that I have encountered.
Are those performance differences (cold boot and login) really relevant for the intended market..?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Banned

JeeBee will become famous soon enough

Resume to Login Screen is relevant, but when we're talking about 2 or 3 seconds then what's the issue?

Cold boot will happen once a day if that. If it's under 20s already then it's not an issue. However we all know that Windows historically slows down here over time. Also there is the Anti-Virus slowdown effect.

I can see how in a school setting the all-day battery life is critically important. These devices are charged up overnight in a charging cabinet, and during the day access to charging facilities will be lacking. OTOH I don't see students needing to use their device all the time, but then again, devices might be multi-student so still in constant use.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 AM
2^10

sirroman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeBee View Post
Resume to Login Screen is relevant, but when we're talking about 2 or 3 seconds then what's the issue?

Cold boot will happen once a day if that. If it's under 20s already then it's not an issue. However we all know that Windows historically slows down here over time. Also there is the Anti-Virus slowdown effect.

I can see how in a school setting the all-day battery life is critically important. These devices are charged up overnight in a charging cabinet, and during the day access to charging facilities will be lacking. OTOH I don't see students needing to use their device all the time, but then again, devices might be multi-student so still in constant use.
Yes, "close enough" should be... enough..?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 AM
>intel 4004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
Are those performance differences (cold boot and login) really relevant for the intended market..?
No, but that is the only way Microsoft knows how to compete and fill in checkboxes. They can't admit that without a monopoly no one wants anything their company provides. "Boxes are checked, we have a competing product!"

Windows Cloud exists to fight Chromebook+Android apps. Google's increasing incompetence is the only thing saving windows.

Quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11291/...b-ram-from-279

The computer will initially ship without the Google Play Store, but the manufacturer promises that Android apps will be coming to the Flex 11 “soon.”