SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > CPUs

CPUs Talk about processors and related technology

Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
2^10

Moral Hazard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
A small form factor, 8 core 16 thread high performance computer. What a time to be alive. I have a feeling AMD is going to end up saving Steam Machines.
The dream machine is an 8 core Zen chip with a high-end GPU (Vega 10 or better), be it integrated or MCM, and with a 32GB UMA consisting of 4 stacks of 8GB HBM2 (totalling 1TB/s of bandwidth). Put it into a SFF case with a built in power supply and motherboard with a single 2TB NVMe SSD being the only internal addition. No internal drive bays or expansion slots. Instead have integrated liquid cooling in addition integrating the heat sink into the metal case (ideally copper, though aluminum is ok). Plenty of ports for external expansion though (a couple HDMI 2.x, a couple DisplayPort, a few USB 3.x ports, a couple 10Gb ethernet ports, etc). Bluetooth and wireless ethernet included too, of course.

Yeah it would cost >$2,000, but if it wasn't dramatically higher I'd buy it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 PM
itanic

os2wiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiD View Post
I heard that MSI bioses are the better than AsRock's
You must be joking. MSI Titanium bios is a near disaster. This latest major official April release v 1.4 actually lowers memory speed from past releases for those who use all four dimm slots. It also lacks bclock settings.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 PM
2^10

Moral Hazard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2wiz View Post
You must be joking.....
That is the most common reason why people put a '' in their post.

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

sdlvx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
That's going to require Zen APU's to not suck + be cheap + cheaper MB without gaming BS like:
Don't forget Zen desktop APU's are likely a 2Q2018 product.
I would sort of assume that, and Steam Machine target audience would do just fine with "xXUb3rXx PrO G4M3R LeD SySt3m" type stuff, look how successful Razer is.

I don't think they even need an APU for a nice small form factor gaming PC. Vega Nano (if it exists, I wouldn't be surprised if we got one) + 6 or 4 core Ryzen would fit into a small case and be a really nice small form factor system.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
I would sort of assume that, and Steam Machine target audience would do just fine with "xXUb3rXx PrO G4M3R LeD SySt3m" type stuff, look how successful Razer is.

I don't think they even need an APU for a nice small form factor gaming PC. Vega Nano (if it exists, I wouldn't be surprised if we got one) + 6 or 4 core Ryzen would fit into a small case and be a really nice small form factor system.
kabylake pentium + vega nano may deliver the same thing for less. AMD bought ATI to design an APU. Zen APU's had better bring the ability to build an APU-only "console" for very cheap i.e. 1080p+$399 OTD price. HBM shouldn't be even needed yet.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Banned

JeeBee will become famous soon enough

Assuming the Ryzen APU has a large GPU L2 cache and uses the Vega tiling rasteriser, a lot of bandwidth needs will be removed, so performance should still scale well from Carrizo graphics performance even using (hopefully somewhat faster) DDR4 still.

11CUs at ~1200MHz would be 1.7 TFLOPS, a really decent figure for a non-console APU.

But even a 560 would be better. So get a 4C8T Ryzen and that today. Mini-iTX AM4 boards and 5xx GPUs are out there for those who want a compact system.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned

sdlvx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
kabylake pentium + vega nano may deliver the same thing for less. AMD bought ATI to design an APU. Zen APU's had better bring the ability to build an APU-only "console" for very cheap i.e. 1080p+$399 OTD price. HBM shouldn't be even needed yet.
Pentium G4560 falls apart in performance at 1080p on anything stronger than a 480 or GTX 1060. Vega would be starved by a Pentium G. Something like that would need something around 7700k performance at minimum.

I think Ryzen 1400 at $170 with a Vega would do just fine. At that price range it's either 2c/4t Kaby Lake i3 or 4c/8t Ryzen 1400. I am too lazy to look at benches, but I image the Ryzen 1400 would scale much better with a faster graphics card than the i3.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:14 AM
2^11

GeorgiD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2wiz View Post
You must be joking. MSI Titanium bios is a near disaster. This latest major official April release v 1.4 actually lowers memory speed from past releases for those who use all four dimm slots. It also lacks bclock settings.
Then use the prior BIOS version and wait for the next to try it out... if something has gone wrong with the latest one.
I also heard that AsRocks mainboards are total disaster.
MSI are the better..
Old 04-22-2017, 03:55 AM
2^11

muziqaz will become famous soon enough

I heard that all the motherboards are complete disaster do not buy them and leave the high end tech
Old 04-22-2017, 06:27 AM
2^11

GeorgiD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziqaz View Post
I heard that all the motherboards are complete disaster do not buy them and leave the high end tech
You heard, ok, who told you, where did you hear it from?

I suspect that you know only about yours and don't have information about the others

Tags
am4, amd