SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > GPUs

GPUs Talk about graphics, cards, chips and technologies

Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM
8-bit overflow

livebriand is on a distinguished road

Well apparently there is now a growing email chain at AMD trying to find out the truth, so hopefully we'll find out soon.

It is odd, I guess there could be a couple of reasons. Maybe there are 8 but 4 were disabled for power or some other reason. Maybe they just wanted to send Nvidia the wrong message too.

Last edited by livebriand; 04-21-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM
itanic

Dezeer is on a distinguished road

I do remember reading a news article about how Fiji had 4 ACE units and 2 HWS units (Hotchips slides) instead of the original 8 ACE units as per launch slides. There was also some speculation that maybe one HWS unit could work as two ACE, but I don't remember there being any further clarification about it.

Quote:
Not all ACE's are equal.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/a...6#post-1868282
Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM
8-bit overflow

Here's the answer.

Quote:
In Hawaii and earlier GCN GPUs, the hardware was designed to support a fixed number of compute queues (up to 8 per ACE). Starting with 3rd generation GCN, we added a Hardware Scheduler (HWS) capability that made it possible to virtualize the compute queues. This meant that any number of queues could be supported, and the HWS would assign them to the available ACEs as slots became available. Once we had enabled the HWS, the old representation we had with 8 ACEs handling up to 8 queues each no longer made sense, so we decided to update the block diagrams.

Each ACE block now represents a single wavefront/workgroup dispatcher. So Fiji & Polaris can dispatch up to 4 wavefronts/workgroups to the shader engines at a time, from any compute queue. Also the hardware scheduling capabilities are now shown separately, and there are two of these blocks because the HWS is actually a dual threaded microprocessor (i.e. it can run two scheduling threads concurrently).
Pretty big change actually, surprised more wasn't made of it during the Fiji launch.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 PM
2^10

sirroman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebriand View Post
Here's the answer.

Pretty big change actually, surprised more wasn't made of it during the Fiji launch.
Wait, so it was ->ACE->SE and now it's ->HWS->ACE->SE? The diagram clearly doesn't represent it.

In the end it just "unbounds" the compute queues? Then I imagine it simplifies the connections between all those ACEs before and SE. Each ACE could even be hardwired to a SE?

ACEs are going the way of the Dodo... (Since they don't need to manage queues and only dispatch whatever the HWS tells them)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:06 AM
>intel 4004

Stuckey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
Wait, so it was ->ACE->SE and now it's ->HWS->ACE->SE? The diagram clearly doesn't represent it.

In the end it just "unbounds" the compute queues? Then I imagine it simplifies the connections between all those ACEs before and SE. Each ACE could even be hardwired to a SE?

ACEs are going the way of the Dodo... (Since they don't need to manage queues and only dispatch whatever the HWS tells them)
I think (iirc) the ACEs also handle the hardware prioritization ? Basically whenever there is a free slot they report back to the HWS, which allows the HWS to assign high priority stuff to the first available slot, no matter which ACE becomes available first.

I'd guess they could change it so the HWS handles all parts of the process ? But I think the way they've done it should be more easily scalable. Because if you incorporated everything into the HWS I'd presume you would need a different sized 'super HWS' for each size of GPU ? Whereas with the HWS->ACE system you only need one HWS and to alter the number of ACEs ?

I think having HWS->ACE is more to do with scalability than integration. Could be wrong, but I think it's likely.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:04 AM
2^11

GeorgiD will become famous soon enough

As far as AMD Radeon RX Vega release date is concerned, it is expected that the high-end graphics card might get unveiled during the Computex Convention on May 30. There are also reports that claim AMD may debut the RX Vega at a special event before the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3 2017) that will kick off on June 13.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/ar...most-human.htm
Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM
2^10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey View Post
I think (iirc) the ACEs also handle the hardware prioritization ? Basically whenever there is a free slot they report back to the HWS, which allows the HWS to assign high priority stuff to the first available slot, no matter which ACE becomes available first.
Can an ACE dispatch to whatever SE? I don't think this was ever asked before.

I believe that now it makes more sense for an ACE to manage the utilization on "their SE" (after all, asynchronous compute is all about filling gaps) while HWS handle priority and locality among ACEs.

Quote:
I'd guess they could change it so the HWS handles all parts of the process ? But I think the way they've done it should be more easily scalable. Because if you incorporated everything into the HWS I'd presume you would need a different sized 'super HWS' for each size of GPU ? Whereas with the HWS->ACE system you only need one HWS and to alter the number of ACEs ?

I think having HWS->ACE is more to do with scalability than integration. Could be wrong, but I think it's likely.
We need to wait for Vega to see how it evolved, but it seems like the scales are 1:2 (HWS:ACE) and 1:1 (ACE:SE), btw they pointed out that each has dual cores.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:24 AM
8-bit overflow

Yes based on this info ACE's being locked to their own SE is what makes most sense. Not sure how that'll work with Hawaii/Grenada but I guess that would be two ACE's per SE.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes in Vega either.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 PM
>intel 4004

Stuckey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
Can an ACE dispatch to whatever SE? I don't think this was ever asked before.

I believe that now it makes more sense for an ACE to manage the utilization on "their SE" (after all, asynchronous compute is all about filling gaps) while HWS handle priority and locality among ACEs.

We need to wait for Vega to see how it evolved, but it seems like the scales are 1:2 (HWS:ACE) and 1:1 (ACE:SE), btw they pointed out that each has dual cores.
It's actually 1:4 (HWS:ACE). As the info livebriand obtained says, the block diagram shows two HWSs, but in reality it's a single dual threaded unit.

I'd imagine that should they ever need to increase the number of ACEs, they can do what they seem to have done with Vegas SEs, ie- buff the HWS without having to do a major re-design ?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:26 PM
2^10

Quote:
It's actually 1:4 (HWS:ACE). As the info livebriand obtained says, the block diagram shows two HWSs, but in reality it's a single dual threaded unit.

I'd imagine that should they ever need to increase the number of ACEs, they can do what they seem to have done with Vegas SEs, ie- buff the HWS without having to do a major re-design ?
You are right, I misread the quote from adored. That diagram is a mess...

Now scaling the HWS is just as difficult as scaling the Graphics Processor... There went the whole idea that it was integrated to increase scalability...

Tags
amd, vega