SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > OSes

OSes Talk about operating systems

Old 10-14-2016, 12:07 PM
640k who needs more?

rarson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Are any of your customers going to leave Microsoft?

Goal is to get the one-time licensed businesses to start paying up to stop the update madness/take back control of their PC's:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...or-businesses/
My business customers are small local businesses. They don't use enterprise software. They have a couple of office computers running consumer Windows. Given the simplicity of their setups, you'd think that it'd be easy to keep their OSes running properly.

It's clear to me that Microsoft WANTS to transition to a subscription service, but I can't possibly see how that will work given what a mess Windows 10 updates are for the average person. It's tempting to look at how Apple has been upgrading OSX over the years, but at the same time their hardware targets are much more focused. I don't think there's an easy answer here. I understand Microsoft not wanting to have to support an OS for an entire decade but home users don't really need new OSes that often. Even the small businesses don't.

The phrase "Surface Enterprise Initiative" makes no sense to me. Why is Microsoft trying to push Surface products into the enterprise space? If you ask me, Microsoft has been screwing up basically everything since the launch of Windows 8 (and I actually like Windows 8, at least in 8.1 form).

Updates for Windows 7 are a pain in the ass now, too. Probably because Microsoft is spending less time and energy to fix the issues that arise.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 PM
8-bit overflow

Queamin is on a distinguished road

W10 will not update at moment for me when I update and restart, the next time I shut down it still wants to still do a update so I give up with it at moment cannot be bothered to sort it out
Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarson View Post
My business customers are small local businesses. They don't use enterprise software. They have a couple of office computers running consumer Windows. Given the simplicity of their setups, you'd think that it'd be easy to keep their OSes running properly.

It's clear to me that Microsoft WANTS to transition to a subscription service, but I can't possibly see how that will work given what a mess Windows 10 updates are for the average person. It's tempting to look at how Apple has been upgrading OSX over the years, but at the same time their hardware targets are much more focused. I don't think there's an easy answer here. I understand Microsoft not wanting to have to support an OS for an entire decade but home users don't really need new OSes that often. Even the small businesses don't.

The phrase "Surface Enterprise Initiative" makes no sense to me. Why is Microsoft trying to push Surface products into the enterprise space? If you ask me, Microsoft has been screwing up basically everything since the launch of Windows 8 (and I actually like Windows 8, at least in 8.1 form).

Updates for Windows 7 are a pain in the ass now, too. Probably because Microsoft is spending less time and energy to fix the issues that arise.
Microsoft has been gutting non-Enterprise editions i.e. removing what used to be there. I think it will get worse. Win10 consumer edition will be gutted further. All pro features will be moved to Enterprise SaaS. Microsoft is looking to turn all business customers into SaaS customers, by force if necessary. That is why I asked if your customers (businesses) would leave Microsoft.

We're well past Win8 failures of chasing the fleeing consumer market. It's all about the enterprises now for windows. It's the businesses, small to large, that are going to end up paying dearly if they stay on Windows.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:45 PM
640k who needs more?

Quote:
Microsoft has been gutting non-Enterprise editions i.e. removing what used to be there. I think it will get worse. Win10 consumer edition will be gutted further. All pro features will be moved to Enterprise SaaS. Microsoft is looking to turn all business customers into SaaS customers, by force if necessary. That is why I asked if your customers (businesses) would leave Microsoft.
I think you're overestimating my customers. They wouldn't know the difference between 7 Pro and 7 Starter. It is basically invisible to them. They need an internet connection, a printer, and an OS that runs their particular pieces of software and that's about it.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:52 PM
640k who needs more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queamin View Post
W10 will not update at moment for me when I update and restart, the next time I shut down it still wants to still do a update so I give up with it at moment cannot be bothered to sort it out
First thing to do is run chkdsk /f in an elevated command prompt. After that's done, open Event Viewer and check the chkdsk log (it'll be in the Application log with a Source of "Wininit") to see if it actually made corrections to the file system. The next step is to open up another elevated command prompt and use the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

You need to be connected to the internet for that command to work. After that's done, run sfc /scannow. If that doesn't fix your update issue, you may be looking at some deeper issues with the OS that will require more attempts to fix. One go-to tool that has a lot of useful features is Tweaking.com's Windows Repair All-in-One, but you really don't want to be using that without knowing what you're doing.

If you're interested in fixing the problem and would like some help I'd be happy to try to help you, or if you have any questions. Probably best to use PM at this point for further help, but I must warn you, I don't always get to check the forum every day.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:06 AM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think you're overestimating my customers. They wouldn't know the difference between 7 Pro and 7 Starter. It is basically invisible to them. They need an internet connection, a printer, and an OS that runs their particular pieces of software and that's about it.
But they know the difference between a previously working feature and a disabled feature. All businesses are going to be pushed to SaaS Win10. Plans should be made now to virtualize windows 7 or migrate to to another OS. January 14, 2020 is right around the corner.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM
640k who needs more?

Quote:
But they know the difference between a previously working feature and a disabled feature. All businesses are going to be pushed to SaaS Win10. Plans should be made now to virtualize windows 7 or migrate to to another OS. January 14, 2020 is right around the corner.
You're missing the point. They're not missing any Windows features. They couldn't care less about the OS, as long as the computer boots and runs their specific software.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:47 AM
2^11

GeorgiD will become famous soon enough

If your Windows 10 still is not updated to Creators Update March 2017, you can manually do this, by following this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

https://www.techpowerup.com/232159/w...e-for-download
Old 06-29-2017, 06:35 PM
8-bit overflow

minosi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're missing the point. They're not missing any Windows features. They couldn't care less about the OS, as long as the computer boots and runs their specific software.
Boom is right. It is just too hard to comprehend the arrogance unless you had to live through it.

Current Microsoft position seems to be that "as long as the computer .. runs their specific software" is NOT part of the deal anymore. Their main business *goal* now is to
a) force you to Windows Store Apps by actively breaking compatibility, including essential features like "ability to print" or "ability of my data to not be lost"
b) force you to SaaS where you will be at their mercy even more due to the arbitrary service terms enforced byt their monopoly position

Microsoft is no longer in the business of selling software. They are now effectivelyu in the business of racketeering (forcing e.g. WS subscription with arbitrary EULAs) on the consumer side and selling you drugs (functional Win32 ecosystem) for your organs (data) on the business side.

Do read e.g their Cognitive Services terms. They pretty much say that by using their products as a hard-paying customer you are "voluntarily" giving them the right to datamine then do whatever they please with the data.

A company which does not already have a non-MS strategy in the pipeline is already their food. It just does not know it yet like pigs being fed for the slaughterhouse do not.

This is also why companies systematically migrate their back office systems to HTML-based interfaces. They may not migrate away from MS. But they are gradually investing in the possibility of doing so, should it come to worst. It is a jungle out there and anyone under $1B IT budget or so is seen as the food by the predators. And the bigger dinosaurs are at risk too, if they are not careful.

EDIT: less emotions

Last edited by minosi; 06-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Tags
microsoft, windows