SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Games

Games Video, board, and meatspace fun

Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 PM
2^10

Moral Hazard is on a distinguished road
Default Steam Summer Sale Suggestions (Specializing in Spectacled Stuff)

The Steam Summer Sale ends if a couple days. For the most part I'm pleased with my haul as I already had a few games I wanted that I considered overpriced as they were (specifically Borderlands: The Pre Sequel and some big, older Bethesda games, namely TES4 Oblivion, and Fallout: New Vegas) but which became reasonably priced during the sale (Borderlands games' DLC is still a mess though). And, of course, I had to pick up Panzermadels: Tank Dating Simulator (hopefully a reference to WW2 won't get me banned, but I have no idea what violates the new rule).

If anyone has any suggestions on what they think is good, the floor is open (and not limited strictly to Steam itself, GoG, Humble Bundle or others are welcome).

The other issue is that, with Vega 10 cards coming out in a few weeks, I intend to buy a new PC, possibly even with 2 GPUs, and a VR headset (presumably an HTC Vive due to its relative openness, though the Oculus is significantly cheaper at the moment).

Question: Do I buy the games now, while they're cheaper but I don't yet own the set, or wait until I do? Assuming I buy now, what VR games do you people suggest I get? I have a personal preference for space combat (and expect I'll love Space Citizen in VR when it releases around 2030 or so), though I hear that EVE Valkyrie, the current best of the lot, is extremely expensive relative to the amount of content, and, of course, the game that looked most exciting turned out to actually be a single Star Wars Battlefront space mission exclusive to PSVR.

I sense much fear in Intel.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:17 AM
640k who needs more?

London Dave is on a distinguished road

I hope, for your sake, the new Vega arch is rubbish at mining, else be prepared to pay a figurative arm and leg, assuming you can find stock :/
Old 07-04-2017, 10:31 AM
2^10

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Dave View Post
I hope, for your sake, the new Vega arch is rubbish at mining, else be prepared to pay a figurative arm and leg, assuming you can find stock :/
We'll see. It's going to be at least a month from now, and by then the "mining" market may well have crashed. After all, at the moment the vast majority of "demand" for cryptocurrencies is from speculators betting the price will go up. At some point the bubble pops, the price starts falling, people sell to try to salvage gains, driving the price down farther until they're effectively worthless.

If you want to see evidence of this, look at how many mods ads there are online and how much more coverage there is of "mining tools" and "investment opportunities" than there are actual ecommerce websites and applications using the cryptocurrencies (this is especially true for "Ethereum" which has gone up dramatically despite not even technically being released yet).

Honestly this is just the 2010s version of the tulip mania and the Beanie Baby fad.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:27 PM
2^11

NTMBK will become famous soon enoughNTMBK will become famous soon enough

I hope the market crashes soon. I'd love to pick up a cheap 470 to put in my HTPC.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 AM
640k who needs more?

London Dave is on a distinguished road

From an environmental perspective, it's a bit of a disaster. All that extra kit and power usage for fools gold.

I too hope it crashes through the floor. Must be having an effect on the gaming market
Old 07-06-2017, 04:28 PM
2^10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
I hope the market crashes soon. I'd love to pick up a cheap 470 to put in my HTPC.
If it were a regular market repeated thefts at major exchanges or by manipulating the algorithm would have driven Ethereum out of the market to already, not even mentioning that cryptocurrencies in general have facilitated a massive new criminal industry: ransomware. However the demand side is being driven by novice investors (who are also the ones buying the hardware), Chinese "investors" (often using borrowed or government money) and crime victims paying the aforementioned ransomware. When the market crashes, I don't know. However the psychology of these things is that when they start to go, they tend to go fast.

In most markets with an issue of speculation, like housing, loses tend to compound, either because fearful investors try to salvage what value they can or because of margin calls. Ultimately, though, there's a bottom because there is a fundamental value to the item being traded. That's not the case here. There's nothing that fundamentally makes Bitcoin or Ethereum more valuable than most other cryptocurrencies.

The more I guess is, if you have cheap electricity, be patient and you should be able to try 4xcrossfire cheap some day.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:24 PM
640k who needs more?

Zolishoru is on a distinguished road
Default Paranoia

Just a simple question: how does it compares Nvidia's marketing budget with the overall cryptocurrencies market?
Edit:
Or, to be more direct: how much money would one need to keep the AMD cards out of market for the back-to-school period by buying off some Ethereum?
/edit
/paranoia
/OT

Last edited by Zolishoru; 07-06-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Tags
reality, sale, steam, summer, virtual