SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > CPUs

CPUs Talk about processors and related technology

Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 AM
2^10

gruffi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medallish View Post
Looks like Intel is going to offer up to 6 cores in laptops now, I doubt AMD will have 6 cores in Raven Ridge(there's just been no indication, and with CCX's 6 would be an odd number), but if this turns out to be a desired product in the laptops, might we actually see modified Ryzen CPU's for laptops?
Don't forget, AMD already offers up to 8 cores in laptops.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM
2^11

GeorgiD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottis View Post
If Ryzen 1700 is 65W at 3.0/3.7Ghz, how much do they need to drop frequency to make 45W version of that?
My guess is that not much for higher quality chips, maybe 2.5/3.3Ghz. That'd make pretty amazing high-end luggable cpu.
Even if they don't manage, somehow, to fit 8C/16T in a laptop formfactor, just throw us a 6C/12T where now we can find i7-5500s... That is a poor 2C/4T.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
It's fine with me that the APUs come later after the CPUs. It may do AMD good as public image that APUs are no longer the focal point of their company. Build high end desktop processors and then release strong APUs a couple of quarters later. Keeping in mind that AMD has already split up their CPU and GPU divisions so they can focus on what each does foremost. This allows AMD to focus on strong X86 and strong GPU execution, then marry the two later. It will also be good for them as a company to have new products to roll out as the market grows stale during the year or so idle in between generational improvements.
The public has no clue what AMD does or produces despite the millions of AMD based consoles sold.

The public is only buying ultraportables, not desktops. Missing back to school APU sales is a failure in strategy. Also don't forget if this happens you will get the "Why buy a zen APU when zen 2 APU is right around the corner?"

Last edited by boom; 07-17-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:22 PM
2^11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
The public has no clue what AMD does or produces despite the millions of AMD based consoles sold.
This should be because Sony and Microsoft don't put labels AMD Inside on the front panels of their things.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 PM
640k who needs more?

rarson is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Also don't forget if this happens you will get the "Why buy a zen APU when zen 2 APU is right around the corner?"
These two statements directly contradict each other.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarson View Post
These two statements directly contradict each other.
My point was it being late and another widget will be rumored. The public doesn't understand what chips are in their phone but they do understand "Why buy samsung S8 when S9 is coming soon?" I didn't what, if any, ultraportables to name for this example so I just said the chips. Sorry if that was confusing.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 PM
8-bit overflow

aeassa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiD View Post
This should be because Sony and Microsoft don't put labels AMD Inside on the front panels of their things.
Of course. Microsoft and Sony don't want a mere supplier stealing the show. These devices are about the Microsoft/Sony branding and the software ecosystem.

Nobody buying a game console cares one iota about the chip suppliers.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 AM
8-bit overflow

Drashek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My point was it being late and another widget will be rumored. The public doesn't understand what chips are in their phone but they do understand "Why buy samsung S8 when S9 is coming soon?" I didn't what, if any, ultraportables to name for this example so I just said the chips. Sorry if that was confusing.
Except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small minority
Good point, I will wait and buy the S9
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwhelming majority
I need a phone now, I'll get the S8

AMD make a sale either way. FYI it's very hard to convince people to wait to make a purchase even when they have no idea what they are buying.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 AM
2^11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeassa View Post
Of course. Microsoft and Sony don't want a mere supplier stealing the show. These devices are about the Microsoft/Sony branding and the software ecosystem.

Nobody buying a game console cares one iota about the chip suppliers.
There is no bad advertisement. If the AMD logo stays somewhere on the boxes while not opened yet, or on the devices themselves, it would be good for AMD.

AMD could ask Sony and Microsoft for this. Now, we all know that AMD products are good and it will have the desired effect.
AMD just needs to ask them, or to include a new sentence in their contracts which states that it's obligatory for Sony and Microsoft to state where their key hardware comes from. Otherwise, worse conditions on the contract, maybe no discounts, etc.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:43 AM
itanic

MirekCz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiD View Post
Otherwise, worse conditions on the contract, maybe no discounts, etc.
Really? Have you seen anyone doing this on their own hardware?
Only devices I know that does this are laptops/PCs and some premium hardware like we have XYZ sound system etc. - but those are always "premium" brands.

Consoles never really contained info about hardware and AMD is far from being a premium brand in comparision to Intel so there's nothing really to brag about...

It would be good for AMD to increase brand recognization, but forcing this in a contract might have ended with contract going to intel/nvidia which would be a much greater loss.