SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Misc Technology

Misc Technology Other technology related discussions

Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 PM
640k who needs more?

rarson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Does the device deliver a seamless docking experience as promised? Yes.
You can't possibly claim that without defining what you mean by "seamless docking experience."

Quote:
The only other option Nintendo had was to launch a 5-6TF x86 console for $399-$599.
That's an idiotic statement. They could have released a decently powerful handheld console with the Switch concept that wasn't $100 overpriced. Maybe like $299 or max $349. But the current hardware is barely worth $199.

Quote:
I have no idea why you think I am defending some faceless corporation. How many times do I have to say I do not care whether Nintendo survives at all?
That's your problem, not mine. Your vehement defense of Nintendo demonstrates your bias.

Quote:
Nintendo has been irrelevant for quite a while now except for the Wii and 3DS/2DS. It comes as no surprise they put those two things together.
THEY DID THAT WITH THE WII U, GENIUS. The entire idea of the Wii U was taking the second screen and making it moveable. Glad to see you're paying attention. You're not even grasping Nintendo's ideas, yet you're trying to irrationally defend them to death. Wow.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM
640k who needs more?

rarson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrated View Post
You keep saying this, but it makes no sense. Nintendo's choices were as broad as any industry player's - wider thanks to their in house library.
This. Nintendo has been getting away with this for about a decade now. How much longer can they milk their brand for substandard hardware implementations? That's my main question. I don't think they can keep this up. I thought they'd have learned at least five year ago, but they're still doing it. They think they're above the rest of the hardware players, and to a degree, they still are, but their IP alone is not enough to make people want to buy their hardware.

I bet the Switch is selling like crazy, because people are talking about Zelda like crazy. But once again, people are going to realize that the Switch is a cheap piece of crap and Zelda isn't that great and nobody wants to buy $300 worth of hardware for a single game. How long can Nintendo keep burning gamers before the gamers start deserting them?

I was with boom months ago defending Nintendo and the Switch concept because I thought it made business sense, in addition to being a good overall concept for certain gamers, but jeez, they brought to market a really piss-poor product. It's not nearly as good as I expected, AND it's $50 more expensive than it should be. For what I expected, not even what was delivered!

It's "seamless" sliding the thing into the dock. What a joke. It's got an output that can connect to a TV. That's the least one can expect from a device released in 2017. Oh, and it also performs worse when plugged into the TV, great. This is both a home and portable console? Gee, it doesn't seem like it. Especially when it's own cheap, plasticky dock ends up scratching the hell out of the screen when sliding it in.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 AM
640k who needs more?

Zolishoru is on a distinguished road
Default Zelda?WTF?

Now let's see how well the Switch will sell without Zelda? Anybody?
/Definition of nosedive
/I've seen skyworditis and switchicus zeldaitis
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 AM
2^11

NTMBK will become famous soon enoughNTMBK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolishoru View Post
/Definition of nosedive
Well anyone who might want to buy the Switch won't already have Zelda (outside of the tiny Wii U hardcore, who would probably buy one anyway). And it's not like Zelda is being withdrawn from sale...?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 AM
640k who needs more?

Alps will become famous soon enough

Here's the full list of triple A games being developed right now:
Phew, that was a mouthful.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM
>intel 4004

DCO will become famous soon enough

Quote:
/Definition of nosedive
Zelda, the most over hyped game ever, at least they did something good paying reviewers, if it was between 8-9 this thing would be already DOA.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM
2^11

NTMBK will become famous soon enoughNTMBK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
Zelda, the most over hyped game ever, at least they did something good paying reviewers, if it was between 8-9 this thing would be already DOA.
Any proof of this supposed bribery, or are you just talking out of your arse?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
>intel 4004

testbug00 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
Well anyone who might want to buy the Switch won't already have Zelda (outside of the tiny Wii U hardcore, who would probably buy one anyway). And it's not like Zelda is being withdrawn from sale...?
Yes. But the sales of people buying a Switch because of Zelda is probably done.

Or will be over the next week or two.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 PM
2^10

chithanh is on a distinguished road

I think a good proxy for the stock situation is the price that scalpers are able to fetch off ebay.
Here in Germany they have been around 360 since launch, which is almost 10% above retail price (329). This means that demand still exceeds supply, though not by much. After PS4 launch, there was 20% scalper markup for months.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
About Zelda, there is really not much else to play on the Switch right now. I guess this game made the difference between an ok launch and a disastrous one. But I don't think people were paid to give good reviews, instead Nintendo wields the stick against those who don't.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrated View Post
You keep saying this, but it makes no sense. Nintendo's choices were as broad as any industry player's - wider thanks to their in house library.

Nintendo made a greedy/stupid move here.

Nintendo could have packed 8 improved little AMD cores in with more GPU than PS4 and 8GB RAM and sold it for $200USD. Nintendo games would shine, and third-party games would flow because running at least a bit above PS4 specs means easy ports.

It wouldn't compete with the half-generation boost machines, but it would be a huge leap from WiiU and it would equal the machines that hold back gaming on the Scorpion.

They could have launched a practical ARM handheld for 150-200, or a great one for $250.

Sell a pro controller with an HDMI cable and you have superior "dock".

My ravings may not be the best options, but they are options. Nintendo had many paths they could pursue. I think this was a cynical cash-grab handed to them by Nvidia, which is why Nintendo was so far behind on SW development...
Their "choices were as broad as any industry player's" yet your solution is a PS4 clone? "Many paths they could pursue" yet AMD CPU and AMD GPU?

PS4 1.84TF
PS4 Pro 4.2TF

How powerful is your hypothetical console? Who would buy this late, weaker, me-too console when everyone could just buy a cheap PS4/Xbone that have 3 years of cheap games available?

http://nintendoeverything.com/more-t...ne-for-switch/

If this rumor is true, Nintendo wanted less than 4GB of RAM. People need to wake up to the reality that Nintendo just isn't going to chase specs.

Tags
nintendo, switch