SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Misc Technology

Misc Technology Other technology related discussions

Old 03-26-2017, 03:04 PM
2^11

integrated will become famous soon enoughintegrated will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Their "choices were as broad as any industry player's" yet your solution is a PS4 clone? "Many paths they could pursue" yet AMD CPU and AMD GPU?

PS4 1.84TF
PS4 Pro 4.2TF

How powerful is your hypothetical console? Who would buy this late, weaker, me-too console when everyone could just buy a cheap PS4/Xbone that have 3 years of cheap games available?

You just described the Switch, except it costs more than the Xbone or PS4.

Nintendo just needs (as you ignored in my post) to slightly outperform PS4 (maybe by 10-15%) to make porting trivial. This could be done with competitive pricing (leave out optical drive for lower BoM, a smaller chassis and easier cooling. Allow USB storage, and you can cheap out on internal storage too with 32GB flash or so.

Such a machine blows Switch out of the water, costs less, can receive easy ports. Not portable, but that's not where full-priced games get sold.

Quote:
People need to wake up to the reality that Nintendo just isn't going to chase specs.

What is "chase specs"?
Old 03-26-2017, 03:06 PM
2^11

integrated will become famous soon enoughintegrated will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
...Xiaomi's margins on their high end phones is likely in line with, if not better than most consoles. So don't pull that card.

The Wii Launched at $250. Around 235 to wholesalers, and about $200 to make.

Looks to me like Nintendo threw an extra $50, if not more, on just to say "f--k it!"

Xiaomi doesn't earn anything off the phone after sale. (unless they're selling personal info )

Nintendo will rake in money off SW sales for every unit they move. Big margins aren't necessary at all.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrated View Post
You just described the Switch, except it costs more than the Xbone or PS4.

Nintendo just needs (as you ignored in my post) to slightly outperform PS4 (maybe by 10-15%) to make porting trivial. This could be done with competitive pricing (leave out optical drive for lower BoM, a smaller chassis and easier cooling. Allow USB storage, and you can cheap out on internal storage too with 32GB flash or so.

Such a machine blows Switch out of the water, costs less, can receive easy ports. Not portable, but that's not where full-priced games get sold.

What is "chase specs"?
The Switch isn't a late, me-too x86 console.

"Why isn't mario on PS4/Pro/Xbone/Scorpio?" Who is going to buy a late, me-too x86 console that is only 10-15% faster? The Pro is out and Scorpio is coming. To stay in the traditional console market, you must compete on specs and follow that market as it transitions into PC gaming-lite. Your hypothetical Nintendo console would be universally panned by reviewers who would just say get a PS4 or scorpio.

Mobile/portable gaming user base is growing every single year. Devs would gladly sell a $5 "not full-priced" game to a billion users.

As a consumer I agree with your points; however, it makes little business sense for Nintendo to do it.

Quote:
http://hothardware.com/news/reggie-f...s-every-day-us

"The reaction to Nintendo Switch has been remarkable. Every day were setting new records from a U.S. perspective, meaning, you know, today I can look back and see how I compare to the launch of the Wii or the Nintendo DS or the Nintendo 3DS, and Im setting sales records every day with the Nintendo Switch," the Nintendo boss told Fox News.
You can hate nintendo and you can hate nvidia but you can't deny the Switch is moving units, for better or worse.

Mario ifart game didn't sell well.

Tags
nintendo, switch