SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Tech support

Tech support Questions about things going wrong

Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM
2^11

Nerdmaster will become famous soon enoughNerdmaster will become famous soon enough
Default amd 7750 problems

I have changed yesterday the gpu and psu of my computer since my brother kept complaining about new steam games not having high fps on his gpu. I took apart both our computers and interchanged the psus and gpus. I went from 800W coolermaster and amd 6950 to 520W chieftech and amd 7750.

So after i changed the gpu i noticed that the drivers didnt install automatically. (i had already changed 2 - 3 times gpu to test different generation gpus from a friend of mine and always drivers installed automatically.) Yes i know its not recommended to change cards without uninstalling drivers but i was to bored to do that.
I manualy removed old drivers and rebooted. Then manualy installed newest amd drivers. Then rebooted again. As the computer started when i logged in to windows artifacts and dots popped all over the place. They were moving to several parts of the screen and i waited 5 minutes but they didnt go away.

I removed the display port cable from my 2k new dell monitor and replugged it. The monitor didnt display anything. I pressed the power button and the computer shut down normaly. I rebooted at least 5 times and the monitor was always black. Then i grabbed an hdmi caple and connected the monitor with the card (while also having the dp cable attached). As soon as i did that the monitor suddenly started displaying from the dp cable and my computer thougth that i had connected 2 different monitors to it). After removing the hdmi cable things kept working ok even after several reboots.

I have tested my computer for 5 hours straight surfing the net and typing to word, run furmark for ~30 mins and played games for 2 hours. The card has idle temp 33C and max temp under furmark ~63C. Gaming temps are ~57C. Nothing out of the ordinary happened indicating that the gpu had any problem.

Also my monitor with my previous gpu had once in 1 year displayed everything in a green tune after i opened the monitor. Turned off and then on the monitor and colors where displayed correctly.

Also i found out that the 7750 does not downclock its ram on desktop even though it should do so after the computer runs for some hours. It downclocks but to normal ok when i reboot thought.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell happened?
Old 12-31-2016, 11:00 AM
2^11

NTMBK will become famous soon enoughNTMBK will become famous soon enough

For a start, that 7750 is slower than the 6950 it replaced...
Old 12-31-2016, 11:20 AM
2^11

Nerdmaster will become famous soon enoughNerdmaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
For a start, that 7750 is slower than the 6950 it replaced...
I am well aware of that, but since i dont want to play new games it does not bother me at all. The replacement was carried out to avoid purchacing a new gpu for the other computer (rx 460 starts from 140 euros and gtx 1050 from 180 euros).
Old 12-31-2016, 01:27 PM
>intel 4004

testbug00 will become famous soon enough

I recall seeing at some point (I think with wattman release) people were seeing their cards VRAM not go into idle, or rapidly bounce back and forth between idle and load.

Don't know if this is just a sensor error, or a real error.

But, for the RAM clocks, going back to pre-wattman drivers is a "fix".