Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Finance, Legal, Policy

Finance, Legal, Policy that kind of stuff goes here

Old 01-10-2017, 05:34 AM
2^11

Fottemberg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Fottemberg
Default Intel CEO Wants Tax Cuts, Not a Trade War

http://www.investopedia.com/news/int...rade-war-intc/

Currently Intel pays not so much: http://www.intc.com/releasedetail.cf...&ReleasesType=

Bits And Chips Site
Bits And Chips - ENG Twitter
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 PM
2^10

Moral Hazard is on a distinguished road

Corporate income taxes are a terrible idea, and I would support just getting rid of them. One big problem is we don't know for sure who pays them, though it has to be somebody (the first law of the economics of taxation: only a person can pay a tax). The current thinking, or at least the thinking 20 years ago when I was taking my "economics of taxation" class, is that the majority is probably paid by the owner (lower dividends), but some portion may be paid by employees (lower wages) or customers (higher prices).

To the extent they are paid by the owners you've got another problem, which is that we're already taxing capital in the form of capital gains taxes. As such you have double taxation.

There's also an issue that corporate income taxes are probably the most volatile source of tax revenue, falling off dramatically every time there's a recession, whereas personal income taxes and sales taxes are much steadier.

Eliminate corporate income taxes. Treat realized capital gains as any other income instead of taxing it separately (for most this would be a tax increase, though it would be a cut for some, and would partly offset reductions in tax revenue from eliminating the corporate income tax).

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
Old 01-16-2017, 04:52 AM
8-bit overflow

Spartak is on a distinguished road

Ridiculous that a company with 14e9 income can't afford to pay its tax. All they want is to put more money in their pockets.
Core i7-4770k with Thermalright True Spirit 140, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 Mobo, 4x4 GB TeamGroup DDR3-2133, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB, 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256 GB in RAID 0, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 HDD, Corsair RM750x PSU, LG BH10LS30 BD-RE, Ultron Cardreader, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, LG 23MP68VQ FullHD monitor
Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 AM
2^11

NTMBK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartak View Post
All they want is to put more money in their pockets.
They're a company. Their entire purpose is to make money for their shareholders.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:50 AM
8-bit overflow

Spartak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
They're a company. Their entire purpose is to make money for their shareholders.
And that's why such wishes have to be taken with a cup of salt
Core i7-4770k with Thermalright True Spirit 140, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 Mobo, 4x4 GB TeamGroup DDR3-2133, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB, 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256 GB in RAID 0, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 HDD, Corsair RM750x PSU, LG BH10LS30 BD-RE, Ultron Cardreader, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, LG 23MP68VQ FullHD monitor
Old 01-27-2017, 05:35 PM
2^11

Fottemberg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Fottemberg

Latest Intel financial results say:

- Intel has to pay $1,5 billions every quarter to get out of debt (About $20 billions)
- Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group is a bottomless pit
- 2016 vs. 2015 (GAAP): revenue is higher (59,4 vs 55,4), but net income is lower (10,3 vs 11,4)
- cash is now just $5 billions

Also PC market is shrinking very fast. The future is high end SKUs.

Bits And Chips Site
Bits And Chips - ENG Twitter
Old 01-30-2017, 09:07 PM
8-bit overflow

aeassa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fottemberg View Post
- cash is now just $5 billions
https://www.intc.com/investor-relati...n/default.aspx

Cash and short-term investment: $8.785B
Trading assets: $8.314B
Total cash investments: $17.099B

You were looking at just "cash and cash equivalents" ($5.56B), but you missed the short term investments as well as trading assets, which are essentially "cash" for the purposes of this discussion.

Their long term debt is $20.65 billion, and their short term debt is $4.634 billion.