SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Off topic

Off topic Posts not related to technology

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM
2^11

system7 will become famous soon enough

The United Nations Refugees Charter is the most abused piece of stupid Liberal legislation ever conceived, IMO.

Rock up in my lovely UK Islands (mostly by jumping out the back of a Lorry at a ferryport...) and claim that everybody in your home countries' Village hates you is plain daft. We are expected to finance your endless appeals and give you financial support in our Court System.

It costs us a huge £1M per individual case. I'm not saying that anybody who fears for their life shouldn't be able to appeal to our civilised Western sense of Christian justice. I certainly want to help anybody who is having hard time. It's humanity.

Let me tell you a true story. I get most of my news from keeping my eyes open on the streets, rather than the media. Back about 2005 we suddenly noticed the streets of Portsmouth were filling up with foreign-looking Iraqis. We certainly observed it, but were forbidden to talk about it by Labour's Tony Blair's anti-racist legislation.

All along, we were assured that massive uncontrolled immigration was a GOOD THING. I can certainly see the benefit to Labour. These people vote Labour.

But actually, The House of Lords Committee concluded that massive immigration was a VERY bad thing for most of us. Employers love it. It keeps wages down, and profits up. But YOU and I taxpayers have to pick up the tab for all the social benefits that have to be paid out.

When was it? About 2010 when David Cameron scored a surprise election victory (or maybe a tie) for the Conservatives. IMO, that was a massive win for common sense from the massively overspending Labour Government that nearly bankrupted us.

At the time, I thought that 2010 election was make or break for the UK. Labour have been fiddling the constituency boundaries for years. Amazingly, us oldies and smarties, who've seen it all before, went on to vote for and win the 2015 election for a sensible pure Conservative administration that is determined to fix our broken economy and society.

It's very fashionable to deride the oldies as being out of touch, xenophobic and racist and fascist. I think it's a question of whether Civilisation will survive. And a future for our children. So far, so good. And of course, I HAVE FAITH.

Last edited by system7; 01-10-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 AM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdmaster View Post
...Also people getting into the country that want to live there should care about the host country wellbeing follow and respect the rules....
The current bankers, rich, and conservatives fail this UK "purity test." De-funding NHS and not paying billions in taxes does more damage.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:12 AM
2^11

JeeBee will become famous soon enough

Immigration increases wages for the middle class and higher earners, but drops them for unskilled work: http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.a...f-immigration/ - the biggest losers turn out to be longer-term low-paid migrants. That's hardly 'most of us'.

If the Labour government were overspending (mainly due to the short term effects of a global economic crash caused by long term effects of deregulation in the 80s by Conservatives) then what has happened since 2010 is a money waterfall down the drain with little benefit to working people (real term wages still lower than 2007). This long term economic downturn ties into that previous link - it's only then that immigration hurts.

So far we've got a nearly-destroyed NHS, a divided xenophobic society (a result of short term economic downturn, and long-term political ignorance), and a collapse in the opposition due to a pathetic left-wing coup that an even more pathetic right-wing coup couldn't overturn.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 AM
2^11

JeeBee, I enjoy talking with you. You have clearly been reading the Manchester Guardian's Communist, and even worse in American terms, Liberal views. But there is hope when you finally grow up into a World that, despite the vacuous promises of the NHS, actually doesn't care whether you live or die.

How do I express this? I was listening to the fashionably left wing and Northern and Manchester Guardian-reading Andy Kershaw this Christmas. He made a very definite statement about that bete-noir of the left, Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

He said, "Thatcher, I hope you DIE IN HELL for the hundreds of poor working-class troops you killed in the Falklands Conflict!"

I investigated this statement with help from books by Naval Rear-Admiral Sandy Woodward, Brigadier Julian Thompson of the Royal Marines, and the RAF men of Port Stanley Airport bombers Vulcan 607.

It was another close-run thing. Those despicable Fascist Argies would probably be abusing our 1,000 Anglo-Saxon women in the Falklands to this day but for our and Mrs. T's bravery in defending them. Amazingly we'd probably have retaken the Falklands from General Galtieri's Fascist Junta with a mere 20 casualties.

Alas, the BBC News, which was the intelligence source for the crackpot Fascist dictators of Argentina, tipped them off that their bombs weren't being fused correctly and thus failing to explode on our ships, and that we were about to attack Goose Green within 12 hours, thus preparing the defenders and causing great British casualties.

So, if Andy Kershaw wanted to be entirely honest, he might have said "BBC, may you ROT IN HELL!"

I'm a great fan of telling the truth, and so, I'm sure are you.

But this is just another bit of questionable Manchester Guardian nonsense:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeBee View Post
...If the Labour government were overspending (mainly due to the short term effects of a global economic crash caused by long term effects of deregulation in the 80s by Conservatives) then what has happened since 2010 is a money waterfall down the drain with little benefit to working people (real term wages still lower than 2007)...
Mate, the Labour Government, who increased the State from 38% to 50%, had no spending limits in sight from 1997 to 2010 when they departed office with a memo saying to the incoming Conservatives (who are also Working People...) that there was no money left, because they had spent it all.

The Banking Crash was real. But was particularly tough because we just happened to be broke at the time. Thankyou, Gordon Brown....

David Cameron, Conservative Premier in 2010, said we faced a couple of years of hard times, then it would get better. Well, it was never going to be THAT easy.

Last edited by system7; 01-11-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 AM
2^11

The Falklands War, necessary as it was, was a stroke of luck for Thatcher, as it really helped her win the general election that followed soon after.

Labour had a surplus early on, so it's rather disingenuous to claim they had no spending limits. Naturally when interest rates are low, it is often wise to borrow to invest. Things weren't a problem until 2008, when the banking crisis occurred, and borrowing increased and no bankers were jailed for causing this: http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk...ficit_analysis

That note was a joke, it's a theme in government changeover. Don't read anything into it beyond the fact that the incoming ministers used it as propaganda instead of having a chuckle.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM
2^11

Quote:
The Falklands War, necessary as it was, was a stroke of luck for Thatcher, as it really helped her win the general election that followed soon after.
Quote:
The 1983 United Kingdom general election was held on 9 June 1983. It gave the Conservative Party under Margaret Thatcher the most decisive election victory since that of Labour in 1945.

Thatcher's first four years as prime minister had not been an easy time. Unemployment increased during the first three years of her term and the economy went through a recession. However, the British victory in the Falklands War led to a recovery of her popularity; the economy had also returned to growth. By the time Thatcher called the election in May 1983, the Conservatives were most people's firm favourites to win the election.[1] The Labour Party had been led by Michael Foot since the resignation of James Callaghan. They had fared well in opinion polls and local elections during this time, but issues developed which would lead directly to their defeat. Labour adopted a platform that was considered more left-wing than usual.[1][2] Several moderate Labour MPs had left the party to form the Social Democrats. The Social Democrats then formed the SDP-Liberal Alliance with the existing Liberal Party.

The opposition vote split almost evenly between the SDP/Liberal Alliance and Labour. With its worst performance since 1918, the Labour vote fell by over 3 million from 1979 and this accounted for both a national swing of almost 4% towards the Conservatives and their larger parliamentary majority of 144, even though the Conservatives' total vote fell by almost 700,000. This was the most recent election where a party in government increased its number of seats until 2015.

The SDP/Liberal Alliance finished in third place but came within 700,000 votes of out-polling Labour. By gaining 25% of the popular vote, the Alliance won the largest such percentage for any third party since the 1923 general election. Despite this, they won only 23 seats, whereas Labour won 209.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_1983

Quote:
Labour had a surplus early on, so it's rather disingenuous to claim they had no spending limits. Naturally when interest rates are low, it is often wise to borrow to invest. Things weren't a problem until 2008, when the banking crisis occurred, and borrowing increased and no bankers were jailed for causing this: http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk...ficit_analysis
I would say Labour inherited a rather healthy economy from the outgoing Conservative government of John Major. But let's look at Vince Cable's remarks in 2003:

Quote:
Cable is credited by some with prescience of the global financial crisis of 2007–2010. In November 2003, Cable asked Gordon Brown, then Chancellor, "Is not the brutal truth that ... the growth of the British economy is sustained by consumer spending pinned against record levels of personal debt, which is secured, if at all, against house prices that the Bank of England describes as well above equilibrium level?" Brown replied, "As the Bank of England said yesterday, consumer spending is returning to trend. The Governor said, 'there is no indication that the scale of debt problems have ... risen markedly in the last five years.' He also said that the fraction of household income used up in debt service is lower than it was then."[19]

In his book The Storm, Cable writes, "The trigger for the current global financial crisis was the US mortgage market and, indeed, the scale of improvident and unscrupulous lending on that side of the Atlantic dwarfs into insignificance the escapades of our own banks." In an interview about the book, Cable was asked whether he had warned about this. Cable replied, "No, I didn’t. That’s quite true." He continued, "But you’re quite right, and one of the problems of being a British MP is that you do tend to get rather parochial and I haven’t been to the States for years and years, so I wouldn’t claim to have any feel for what’s been going on there."[20]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_...nancial_crisis

Quote:
That note was a joke, it's a theme in government changeover. Don't read anything into it beyond the fact that the incoming ministers used it as propaganda instead of having a chuckle.
Is not humour often a device to convey an uncomfortable truth?

The truth is we are still grappling with a huge, and maybe unsustainable National Debt:
http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

£50,000 per taxpayer? £80,000 per taxpayer? All growing at £5,170 per second. It's not good. I actually feel a little distressed.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:16 PM
2^11

OMG. It's all gone quiet. Maybe Labour (and Gordon Brown, I'm looking at YOU here, rather than that hopeless moderate leader, Tony Blair...) DID mess up on their Ponzi scheme to increase the State's influence on our paltry lives.

I was watching that National Debt checker: http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/.

It's even worse than I thought. Apparently, every UK baby or recent globalisation immigrant starts with a State overdraft of £80,000 just by being here.

Every night I look into S/A for stimulating ideas about the way things actually are, so I can make wise decisions about the future and my strategy to deal with it.

And it always seems to me, that the best strategy is to assemble the facts about the way things are, is the first step. THEN draw some kind of conclusion.

According to the Manchester Guardian, the UK hardly exists anymore. Especially since a mere 20% of the UK Island's population are determined to fight us 80% English.

But as I always say, we actually rub along quite well with the fringes.

Quote:
Now all is changed. The empire on which the sun never set has been consigned to the dustbin of history.
Mate, that's fighting talk. I haven't given up.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:19 AM
2^11

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
The truth is we are still grappling with a huge, and maybe unsustainable National Debt:
http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

£50,000 per taxpayer? £80,000 per taxpayer? All growing at £5,170 per second. It's not good. I actually feel a little distressed.
Well national debt has to be compared to GDP.

As long as Britain doesn't do something that could crater GDP massively then it's sustainable, if not ideal. Generally the best solution is to grow GDP and thus minimise the debt relative to GDP.

I really can't think of something Britain is doing that will crater GDP in the near future though. Nope, nothing.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:35 PM
>intel 4004

boom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well national debt has to be compared to GDP.

As long as Britain doesn't do something that could crater GDP massively then it's sustainable, if not ideal. Generally the best solution is to grow GDP and thus minimise the debt relative to GDP.

I really can't think of something Britain is doing that will crater GDP in the near future though. Nope, nothing.
Quote:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...mond-1.2937678

British chancellor Philip Hammond has infuriated German politicians for implying a “hard” Brexit would see London adopt a new role as a tax haven before the gates of the EU.
Race to the bottom for the bankers will do wonders.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM
2^11

A tax haven just as the world is turning against these institutions... maybe it will work as a short-term plan, but 50% of UK exports are to the EU and if these are massacred or even blocked then the country is FUBAR.

Never mind - we'll have a great trade deal with New Zealand, to whom we export 0.25% of our exports.