Fottemberg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Fottemberg

Huge news! Thanks!

Bits And Chips Site
Bits And Chips - ENG Twitter
Old 01-14-2017, 11:13 AM
2^10

Caza is on a distinguished road

Cavium on a buying spree. Can they make a profit on technology so good a tech giant like Avago drops it like a hot potato?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:53 AM
2^10

laurent will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caza View Post
Can they make a profit on technology so good a tech giant like Avago drops it like a hot potato?
Or perhaps this doesn't fit in Avago long term strategy.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:15 PM
itanic

aeassa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caza View Post
Cavium on a buying spree. Can they make a profit on technology so good a tech giant like Avago drops it like a hot potato?
Broadcom doesn't like to try to enter new markets as a challenger; the current management essentially buys leadership businesses, collecting them in a portfolio of strong semi businesses.

They simply didn't want to deal with the Broadcom Vulcan line because it will take years for this family to potentially gain traction in what is a highly competitive market, with no guarantee of financial success, IMHO.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:33 PM
640k who needs more?

8088 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeassa View Post
Broadcom doesn't like to try to enter new markets as a challenger; the current management essentially buys leadership businesses, collecting them in a portfolio of strong semi businesses.

They simply didn't want to deal with the Broadcom Vulcan line because it will take years for this family to potentially gain traction in what is a highly competitive market, with no guarantee of financial success, IMHO.
A very IBMish positioning. Anyway, I don't see it so much competitive. How many companies will offer competitive ARM for servers? I count Fujitsu, Qualcomm, Cavium with this acquisition, AMD when the time is right... and Intel when the writing will be in the wall and if they continue believing that "only the paranoid survive".
Old 01-15-2017, 05:21 PM
itanic

aeassa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
A very IBMish positioning. Anyway, I don't see it so much competitive. How many companies will offer competitive ARM for servers? I count Fujitsu, Qualcomm, Cavium with this acquisition, AMD when the time is right... and Intel when the writing will be in the wall and if they continue believing that "only the paranoid survive".
Not quite IBM'ish, because Broadcom is exceptionally good at weeding out losers. Look how long they hung onto the money-losing fab/microelectronics division before finally throwing in the towel, and they are still acting like OpenPOWER will actually be successful :P

No, Broadcom tosses out under-performing businesses, buys great ones in a very cold, detached fashion -- it's either leadership & generating tons of cash, or it's gone. I'm a fan of this way of doing business.

As for AMD and ARM...wouldn't hold my breath. Lisa Su has been quite clear that for merchant products they're all-in on X86, ARM for custom jobs only. I don't think AMD is going to pour $$ into the continued development of competitive ARM cores just in the hopes that somebody will come to them and be picky enough to say, "I want a customized ARM core, none of that x86 stuff or off-the-shelf ARM cores."

My guess is that the extent of AMD's future use of ARM will be in semi-custom jobs using stock ARM cores.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:44 PM
640k who needs more?

8088 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeassa View Post
Not quite IBM'ish, because Broadcom is exceptionally good at weeding out losers. Look how long they hung onto the money-losing fab/microelectronics division before finally throwing in the towel, and they are still acting like OpenPOWER will actually be successful :P

No, Broadcom tosses out under-performing businesses, buys great ones in a very cold, detached fashion -- it's either leadership & generating tons of cash, or it's gone. I'm a fan of this way of doing business.
IBM didn't attach so much to the microelectronics division because it didn't want to lose it. It had long term contracts to fulfill (that still has) and somebody had to carry on that dead weight and invest to make it viable. Something tricky to jettison. And they ended with very angry shareholders when they had to pay for it to be removed from the company.

About OpenPower... well, the thing is that Power is one of the last standing projects. They have abandoned already most hardware sales. Even they pulled the plug with the legendary Blue Gene. Power is one of the pillars of their remaining high end systems that currently is their main bread and butter. They are trying to get a minimum marketshare so that the only systems they use don't become totally niche and in the way of extinction. If OpenPower doesn't get much traction I see them becoming a pure software company when most companies become able to get away from Z systems.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 AM
8-bit overflow

Melkhior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
How many companies will offer competitive ARM for servers?
Well, the first batch of silicon has come and gone already. AMD seems to have silently pulled the plug on the A1100, AppliedMicro has been bought out by someone not interested in the server business and Cavium is apparently giving up on ThunderX (why it took so long I'll never know).

So, second round. Now we have Cavium apparently back with Vulcan (which can't be worse than ThunderX), Fujitsu for the HPC market (the SVE announcement), and the announcement by Qualcomm. None of which is going to be in the hand of end-users anytime soon, apparently.

So what's left? Well, the ones we don't hear about, the Chinese players. HiSilicon seems to ship the D02 and D03 motherboards domestically and to Linaro (and has for a while). The announcement by Phytium. And probably mores...
Old 01-16-2017, 04:14 AM
2^10

laurent will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkhior View Post
Cavium is apparently giving up on ThunderX (why it took so long I'll never know).
What makes you say that? I had the feeling that ThunderX is gaining some traction in cloud business (some providers offer ThunderX machines). I might have missed some news...