SemiAccurate Forums  

 
Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Games

Games Video, board, and meatspace fun

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 PM
PhilTaylor PhilTaylor is offline
i386 bit
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: somewhere near Redmond
Posts: 37
PhilTaylor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Quite sad really, the MS studios were really ************ good, MS bought the right ones. Then again, given how well MS treats games internally, their death isn't really a surprise.

The flip side of that is that consoles are the only thing that has sales volume now, and they are stuck in DX9-ish mode. Until the consoles hit the next gen, no one is going to code for DX10/10.1/11/12.... unless someone pays them to do so. Intel is still splashing cash around from what I hear, and that is a good thing. Nvidia is scaling back unless you make ipod video transcode software, and ATI never threw huge wads of cash at devs in the first place.

We are at the point where MS is the major impediment to anything happening in the games industry other than stagnation and titles with an added 1 on the title. There is a solution, but the only way to do that is for Intel AND ATI to cooperate on a much deeper level than they ever have before, and piss MS off in the process. I would add NV in here, but I really don't think they will be relevant in a year, or alive in 3.

Sad times, but we are facing a games crash akin to the 80s for the same reason, floods of overpriced crap foisted on us by execs with their eye on the bank account. The same thing that is killing the music industry, radio and movies is now hitting games. *SIGH*.

I guess I will go down to the basement and fire up the Ms. PacMan machine.....

-Charlie
yes, its definitely sad.

the main reason I was excited to join MS in 1996 when Alex St John hired me was because DirectX was the ************-hottest thing in PC multimedia, MS or Apple, and was moving PC games in the right direction.

the parties didnt hurt either

Tempest for me Charlie
__________________
http://www.futuregpu.net
ex MS/ATI/MS, now speaking for self
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
suryasans suryasans is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 965
suryasans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Quite sad really, the MS studios were really ************ good, MS bought the right ones. Then again, given how well MS treats games internally, their death isn't really a surprise.

The flip side of that is that consoles are the only thing that has sales volume now, and they are stuck in DX9-ish mode. Until the consoles hit the next gen, no one is going to code for DX10/10.1/11/12.... unless someone pays them to do so. Intel is still splashing cash around from what I hear, and that is a good thing. Nvidia is scaling back unless you make ipod video transcode software, and ATI never threw huge wads of cash at devs in the first place.

We are at the point where MS is the major impediment to anything happening in the games industry other than stagnation and titles with an added 1 on the title. There is a solution, but the only way to do that is for Intel AND ATI to cooperate on a much deeper level than they ever have before, and piss MS off in the process. I would add NV in here, but I really don't think they will be relevant in a year, or alive in 3.

Sad times, but we are facing a games crash akin to the 80s for the same reason, floods of overpriced crap foisted on us by execs with their eye on the bank account. The same thing that is killing the music industry, radio and movies is now hitting games. *SIGH*.

I guess I will go down to the basement and fire up the Ms. PacMan machine.....

-Charlie
AMD have cooperate with some studios too. Without AMD and NVIDIA, Microsoft will not have developed the directx 11 specifications. Current games lives because online multiplayer games that become a big hit. I don't see any hopeless view in games industry. The current problem is Intel and Microsoft relations, who will the most attractive party to the developers? because Intel will integrate their proprietary OS within BIOS, and only makes MS honest recently with announcement to uses Windows 7.

Last edited by suryasans; 09-05-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
charlie charlie is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,326
charlie has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTaylor View Post
yes, its definitely sad.

the main reason I was excited to join MS in 1996 when Alex St John hired me was because DirectX was the ************-hottest thing in PC multimedia, MS or Apple, and was moving PC games in the right direction.

the parties didnt hurt either

Tempest for me Charlie
I got one of those too, it is sitting in the living room by the Gauntlett 2 machine. The Robotron 2084, Ms. PacMan, Xevious and Smash TV (in a boot camp cabinet) are in the basement.

-Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Beowulf Beowulf is offline
itanic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 218
Beowulf is on a distinguished road
Default

Back on topic:

I found another title for DX11.
Stalker: Call of Pripyat is apparently DX11 according to AMD:

Here
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
charlie charlie is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,326
charlie has disabled reputation
Default

Yeah, there are a few more. There should be enough to matter for christmas and early in Q1. Aliens Vs Predator looks really good, but that is all about balance. We will see if they got it right this time, they haven't since the first on the Jaguar.

-Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Beowulf Beowulf is offline
itanic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 218
Beowulf is on a distinguished road
Default

Uh oh, look like im in for another round of daipers...

AvP scares the crap out of me

Found some trailers for you guys to look at: Here. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2009, 06:22 PM
charlie charlie is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,326
charlie has disabled reputation
Default

You should see it on a 50 foot screen. You should see it on 3 50 foot screens. That said, things like this will justify 6 30" monitors and a dark room.

-Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Catapostrophé Catapostrophé is offline
itanic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Uppsala, Sweden (the home of Linnaeus and Celsius)
Posts: 241
Catapostrophé is on a distinguished road
Default

I would have thought that MS did their best to promote PC gaming by selling a broken console.

My fantasy is that OpenGL will become more popular with the adoption of OpenCL, both the adoption and the development of it. Perhaps Microsoft will look the other way and forget what would happen if games could be played on Linux.

How about if some combination of Apple, Dell, Warner, Acer, etc were to build a next gen OpenGL and OpenCL console and financed a dozen games or so for it?

Or maybe the EU could force MS to open source DirectX.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-13-2009, 03:38 PM
aka47 aka47 is offline
itanic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 151
aka47 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Uh oh, look like im in for another round of daipers...

AvP scares the crap out of me

Found some trailers for you guys to look at: Here. Enjoy!
OMG, some ten years ago, I remember playing that game MP, in a dark room, being a marine,

i ran out of flares...

I almost sh!t my pants.

I seriously missed that game

Please make the game DX11 , please make it last for long, please do not change that horror style...
__________________
“We will either find a way, or make one.” -Hannibal
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
charlie charlie is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,326
charlie has disabled reputation
Default

Having seen a few bits here and there, it looks good so far. That said, there is a lot you can do wrong with great graphics and crap gameplay. I am hopeful though.

-Charlie

P.S. Rebellion owns 2000AD. AvDredd?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dx11 games

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SemiAccurate is a division of Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc. Copyright © 2009 Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc, all rights reserved.