SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Misc Technology

Misc Technology Other technology related discussions

Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
2^10

AudioVoodoo is on a distinguished road

The HDMI output is less likely to be of use in the developing world although I'm pleased to see that they have included composite out for this reason. Second hand VGA monitors can be found in most countries now but adaptors from HDMI > VGA still cost money. A low resolution IDE on a TV via composite will cause eye strain; it was bad enough in the days of the Spectrum and C64. I do wonder if it's partially a nod towards the HTPC crews that will love the device for it's low power, again though the compromised audio out will limit this unless you go HDMI for audio too.

Given that I learnt my programming in exactly the environment of sharing machines I'd say it was very much possible. I used to move project between PC's and even Sun workstations using such arcane tools as Kermit and ZModem then cart them home on my single sided single density disks. I'll even confess to having spent an afternoon zipping up a directory structure to a number of floppies so I could have the Turbo Pascal environment at home. With access to cheap 8Gb flash drives there is no reason that the student could not have a complete Linux OS complete with IDE and all the space they need for code. In terms of the architecture it's not something that I can see most students being able to take advantage of. Reading the boot loader sequence details (it boots from the GPU in the first instance) give a hint of this. x86 is better understood and better documented and for a teacher with a mid level skill set probably more appealing.

At the moment USB power is not an option, the 6v requirement is part of this and also the USB ports are there only for connection, not for power. The lack of a consistent power solution so far is one of the big problems they need to resolve. It might actually make more sense for them to offer a battery pack taking commodity cells like AA's and letting the user charge these using local solutions. If people then want to find their own mains adapters they can. Parents like battery power as they feel less likely that little Johnny will blow anything up.

Given that schools have already invested in commodity HW they are unlikely to want to spend more on something which is propitiatory and which does not allow them to leverage the existing investment. I accept that you could use it as a network connected compute node running the code but they've not really opened up the I/O lines so you're looking at more USB based bridging solutions which all cost money. With a standard serial port it's much easier.

I still like it, I still want one. But I think it's the hobby market that will be the place they sell. It's the successor to Mini-ITX in my eyes.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:59 PM
2^10

AudioVoodoo is on a distinguished road

Some interesting feedback from Eban in the Slashdot interview:

http://interviews.slashdot.org/story...Your-Questions
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
8-bit overflow

chithanh is on a distinguished road

The Raspberry Pi will probably go on sale 0600 hours GMT http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/716
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
8-bit overflow

MeldarthX is on a distinguished road

Well I was just watching a new report where school in cambridge *I think* was using them to get kids interested in programming and seemed to go on a treat.

these are actually not bad for schools; 35 a pop; schools already got the keyboards, mice and monitors...good to experiment on and possibly test some code. might check it out for something to play with.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 PM
itanic

Kalvan is on a distinguished road

Frankly, forcing users to code only with the command line without using any GIU or even very many macros looks like something that will backfire if they want to try to train and inspire the next generation of programmers.

Instead, they should try to create a system that demonstrates how the hardware operates, and how that meshes with the code and programming environment in an interactive manner that encourages the user to try again when s/he makes a mistake using error messages friendlier and more informative than simply "Syntax Error," "Incorrect Statement," or "Bad Command or File Name."

Of course, that may just be me...
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
8-bit overflow

chithanh is on a distinguished road

I understand that buyers will initally have the choice between several Linux distributions.
  • Fedora, with a modern desktop and latest productivity software.
  • Arch Linux, with command line based tools encouraging you to get your hands dirty and start developing.
  • Raspbmc/OpenELEC, a turn-key multimedia system with XBMC so you only need to slap your Raspberry Pi to the back of your TV and enjoy.
However, I think that figuring out the inner workings of your system on your own is important. Too much hand-holding and dumbed-down interfaces are not going to turn this project into a success.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
itanic

Kalvan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
Too much hand-holding and dumbed-down interfaces are not going to turn this project into a success.
You are replying to somebody who first learned about programming on a TI 99 4/A. I posessed neither any way to overcome the tedium of one of the wordiest, most rigidly sequential, and most arcane dialects of BASIC, nor any actual access to the lower hardware.

The Orange Logic computer I managed to get for Christmas was much better. It used a procedural rather than sequential language, the programming environment actually had separate screen spaces for inputing code and seeing parts of it run in without committing your memory or disk space to the whole program, and you actually could access the hardware in manner that allowed you to know what you were doing.

Naturally, while I was away at college, my mom junked and sold it to a recycler.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 PM
640k who needs more?

hyc will become famous soon enough

Someone just needs to update "the Visible 6502" to modern day...