SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Misc Technology

Misc Technology Other technology related discussions

Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
8-bit overflow

golfbum is on a distinguished road
Default IBM Blue*?

Seems all is not happy in the SC world wrt to IBM.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/edu...ue-waters.html

Process problems?

gb
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
>intel 4004

rich wargo will become famous soon enoughrich wargo will become famous soon enough

That is just one project, and we don't know the actual points of contention. Not too much should be taken from this. IBM is, and will remain for some time, the #1 SC vendor.

There is always that risk when you're dealing with bleeding-edge attempts. No guarantees that it will work as expected or that it can be developed on time and on budget.

Stupid government expects to get the same considerations as if it were COTS (commercially off-the-shelf). IBM couldn't meet the original specifications in the time frame and for the cost defined in the contract. They asked for some leeway; academic government bureaucrats said no, IBM says, "Then thank you for the opportunity, but we'll just take our toys and go home."

No big deal.
Oh, and everything I post in these or any other forums, or anywhere else online for that matter, is strictly my personal opinion. I do not represent anyone. Especially the alleged company of which I am no longer an alleged employee.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 AM
8-bit overflow

"Though she declined to answer technical questions, the FOIA documents mention clock speed as an issue."

If the clock speed was known going into the contract and IBM agreed, why would there be and issue after the fact? Unless of course the process wasn't yielding to speed.

gb
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 AM
>intel 4004

rich wargo will become famous soon enoughrich wargo will become famous soon enough

Which is always a possibility. The problem for IBM is that these government types wanted fixed price and fixed schedule. No room for potential showstoppers. So when one came along, IBM had to decline to continue.
Oh, and everything I post in these or any other forums, or anywhere else online for that matter, is strictly my personal opinion. I do not represent anyone. Especially the alleged company of which I am no longer an alleged employee.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM
8-bit overflow

FTFA, it appears that there were a series of requests and accommodations over the period of performance. Finally hit a tipping point.

gb