Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > OSes

OSes Talk about operating systems

Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 PM
2^10

boom is on a distinguished road
Default Windows 9 2014; Windows 10/Cloud only 2016

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...em_Rumour.html

Quote:
Finally, Microsoft plans a major breakthrough with what is currently known as Windows 10. The operating system will rely on cloud technologies and will feature all-new user interface that could be controlled using eyesight. The very first Windows 10 concept assembly for internal use at Microsoft will become available on September 1, 2013, next week. What is unclear is whether Windows 10 is due in 2015, a year after Windows 9, or will be available only in 2016, in case the software giant has Windows 9.1 in plans. Given that a lot of Microsoft innovations are curtailed by hardware manufacturers, it is more logical to expect a cloud-based modular OS with all-new UI and numerous advanced capabilities to arrive rather later than earlier.
The new CEO had better kill this off ASAP.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 PM
2^11

testbug00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...em_Rumour.html

2nded

/10char

-Q
Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 PM
>intel 4004

rich wargo will become famous soon enoughrich wargo will become famous soon enough

Windows 9 and 10? C'mon, TinyFlaccid, I am barely off of XP and onto 7. And if you are going to start insisting my computer be connected to intertubes at all time, you can suck my c**k. That is so not going to happen. First off, most of my client sites do not allow internet access from their control networks, which, or course, they shouldn't. Second off, rest of my clients aren't anywhere where you can get cell coverage, much less internet access. What a pantload of useless parasites.

How about doing something really novel and useful, like writing an OS that is actually useful and not just a pile of crap for the terminally shallow? Stop f**king around with the UI, and fix the internals!
Oh, and everything I post in these or any other forums, or anywhere else online for that matter, is strictly my personal opinion. I do not represent anyone. Especially the alleged company of which I am no longer an alleged employee.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 PM
2^11

testbug00 is on a distinguished road

I should say, in terms of a cool factor, the eye-controlled thing would be cool... MS (of today) would probably force it down everyone throats, even if they didn't have a webcam.

Also, they are very vague in their wording (no big surprise) so you are overblowing the cloud thing.

Agree with rich wango on the other parts

-Q
Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM
itanic

engywuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
3rded :-)

But "The very first Windows 10 concept assembly for internal use at Microsoft will become available on September 1, 2013, next week." - on a *sunday*? This reeks "quite improbably".
Old 09-02-2013, 02:59 AM
8-bit overflow

Rottis is on a distinguished road

And so the cycle completes. We are moving back to using dumb terminals.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:31 AM
640k who needs more?

Zizy is on a distinguished road

I cant read the article, but from the quote dont think this means cloud only. I assume it is going to be similar to Office 365 - licensed, emphasis/ability to save stuff online, all settings and programs also saved to the cloud, ability to run programs without local install and so on.
So, nothing is really taken away except ownership (and most likely also privacy should you decide to use these online features).
Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 AM
2^10

fatty2nd is on a distinguished road

Isn't this basically Chrome OS?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 AM
2^10

Stuckey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottis View Post
And so the cycle completes. We are moving back to using dumb terminals.
Yep. Same thing, different reason prehaps ? Before it was because it was easier/cheaper to centralise processing/storage. I think now it's because the 'dumb terminals' in question (read tablets) can only ever use a handful of watts. Well, unless you want a battery the size of a cinderblock, and a heatsink to go with it.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM
8-bit overflow

Rottis is on a distinguished road

That's why we are moving to thicker tablets for serious users.
Best terminals already had caches and local processing of few things.
Anyhow, PC:s scaled better than Main Frames, but I think lots of the software was a big step backwards in usability for tasks at hand.

Main frames scalability problem was cost (greed of companies providing it) and restrictions of distance (latency, cost).
Cost of distance is mainly mitigated by now, but latency isn't, distance to server is much higher.
Reliability is also not as good as it was with dedicated cables, we have a lot more points of potential failure.
We do have local processing advantage now, which can cover lots of latency/performance issues, but not completely hide such.
Remote performance is also subject to cost/greed.

Well, do you trust Microsoft with your data and availability of service?