SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > GPUs

GPUs Talk about graphics, cards, chips and technologies

Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
i386 bit

Malice is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd throw in some facts for context.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

The 560 is climbing rapidly, looks like the "448 core" ti is a winner for NV, at least in terms of uptake. Assuming nvidia is actually making a profit from it, if I were AMD, I'd be moving to counter that card ASAP.

Last edited by Malice; 01-12-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
itanic

tifosi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkenmaster View Post
To a certain degree, maybe, but when you know roughly speaking what something costs, and how much profit people are making. You can draw a conclusion as to what is "fair" spending.

But then thats life, nothing is fair. However, AMD really shouldn't ignore that there has been a very strong feeling amongst enthusiasts that Nvidia is screwing them and AMD is not, and they are making a BIG move against that. Yes, that is one group of people, and yes, a lot of them will still buy AMD. But given the same priced cards, people like buying from the underdog or the guys who they feel are doing the right thing.

AMD would almost certainly still be making a very decent profit at cheaper prices, not massively but a bit.

Coming in closer to 580gtx pricing would, force Nvidia to make less profits, or force Nvidia to look worse, either is a win. Secondly, even with lower supply, lets say for example that 10k people buy a high end GPU in the uk this week, there are only 1k AMD 7970's available, the other 9k see 580gtx pricing and think, meh, its roughly the same performance/pound, I might just go Nvidia.

Even if they take a little less in profits, you'll get a lot of people waiting for stock of 7970's rather than just going Nvidia if the prices were better.

Also, AMD should find a way to both, have a proper god ************ed supply line to the UK rather than having us at the mercy of the god ************ed exchange rate, and many of the retailers here buy iin smaller shipments from US based distro's, rather than AMD shipping in massive quantities to UK distributors, it all add's to pretty awful UK pricing on products the retailers choose to price gouge on.

If I was AMD I would both keep customers happy and their image intact by taking more direct control over supply in the more important markets and keeping back supply to stores who get heavily into price gouging. AMD don't lose any money, their customers get a better deal, retailers don't get to own their customers through stupid pricing, when AMD and the customer win....... AMD win.

ultimately the biggest fail of 7970 is the clock speeds. Every forum I go on people are saying its barely faster than the 580gtx, and had they simply ignored the 300W, which they've done before, Nvidia WILL do with the big kepler(and maybe GK104 as well). A stock 7970 vs a stock Gk112/gk110/gk100(whatever it ends up being called) will look AWFUL, while overclocked the gap will close considerably because GK100 is likely to be a 350-400W card and not have much overclocking headroom while the 7970 is a 300-350W card that has been unclocked to the tune of 50-100W for no apparent reason.

There was no need for it, it does make the card look slower than it is, trying to get an Joe Average to understand that the card is just heavily underclocked rather than not very good is almost impossible, getting an Nvidia guy on a forum to admit it is beyond impossible.

AMD already smashed the 300W barrier, officially, with the 6990, Nvidia did it unofficially with the 480/580gtx and more officially with the 590gtx.

Even do a 6990 launch, AMD couldn't have made it more clear, here's a safe lower TDP option and here's the really cool overclocked bios option, and look all our slides show things related to massive overclocking potential and a cooler than can cope with 400W easily........

The whole launch was a show saying, we've got this safe TDP stock setting but for the love of god use the overclocked higher TDP setting if you buy this card, we want you to do it.

At least do the same thing with the 7970.
About the 7970 pricing... I think the new CEO is just trying to sell himself to the board, and hence the aggressive price gouging. Oops, i mean pricing. Sarcasm is intended. There's no competition, and AMD has a superior product, and company has a new CEO out to prove a thing or two. I'm not exactly surprised, but feel a little betrayed. Your point about enthusiasts feeling that "AMD doesn't screw enthusiasts" does hold water. Then again, now do i change the stance on the same? With 5870 they introduced new price bracket, but they explained why, and persisted with the 6970. Now, all of a sudden we have no competition, and i find a stick up my bum... Either don't make promises, or if you do, you better keep them.

Last edited by tifosi; 01-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 AM
8-bit overflow

poul is on a distinguished road

It's not AMD's fault, that the prices are gone mad. If the initial price would have been 10-20% lower, then AMD and its partners would have earned less initially. Eventually the price will probably settle around $499.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 AM
itanic

Lorien is on a distinguished road

Let me remind those complaining about the price that the 7950, 78xx and 77xx cards are coming to fill the rest of the price and performance gamut. The 7970 is not the only card being released so please get rid of that misplaced sense of entitlement. I cringe reading those posts.

By the way, why didn't anyone cry about the price tag of the 6990? I wonder if the announcement of the 7990's price will spawn an occupy AMD movement
Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 AM
8-bit overflow

Yes, I hope AMD sticks to their price guns for the next 6 months or so, I mean, until NVIDIA comes out with something competetive.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
2^10

integrated will become famous soon enough
Default How can people still be moaning about the 7970's price???

- Brand new architecture (perf will only go up with driver releases)
- Demolishes competition
- uses FAR less power than competition
- ~20% perf increase from OC on stock cooling/voltage
- supports newer DX version than competition

- costs $50 more than "competition"

Get over your biases, this is an irrational response to AMD offering a vastly superior card for only $50 more.

I would never buy a $400 card, let alone 5-550, but for those who will this is a great deal!

Last edited by integrated; 01-13-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: FAR
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
>intel 4004

rich wargo will become famous soon enoughrich wargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatti View Post
Rich: Also in the same vein that I'm not entitled (duh) to a card AMD is not entitled to my money (duh, again). Never claimed it was AMDs problem if I don't buy one but it will become AMDs problem if enough people decide their not going to pay that much.
Yep, I agree. It would be AMD's problem then. But for anyone to blather on based on personal belief and antidotal "evidence" about how AMD is charging too much for the 7990 shows, to me, an attitude born of a sense of "entitlement". I am not accusing you of any such attitude, just that I get that from reading all the commentary posted on this site about the 7990 pricing.

Bottom line, too bad for someone wants one and can't afford it. Life is full of disappointments. My suggestion is to get used to it and open a savings account. Stop spending your money on pot, crack, beer, and fruityco products. Save it for that new AMD graphics card instead. You'll be happier and healthier in the long run. Until the 8990 comes out, of course.
Oh, and everything I post in these or any other forums, or anywhere else online for that matter, is strictly my personal opinion. I do not represent anyone. Especially the alleged company of which I am no longer an alleged employee.

Last edited by rich wargo; 01-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
8-bit overflow

Prices will of cause come down, when the market starts to get saturated, but that's not happening before February or even March. So, I don't hold it against AMD, nor reckon earning som money and ROI a sin, The funny thing is, that if it was the green team with the high prices, it would be considered normal and okay.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 PM
2^10

integrated will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poul View Post
Prices will of cause come down, when the market starts to get saturated, but that's not happening before February or even March. So, I don't hold it against AMD, nor reckon earning som money and ROI a sin, The funny thing is, that if it was the green team with the high prices, it would be considered normal and okay.
Because NV is a "premium" product, and AMD is a "bargain" product.

Even when AMD is far superior it must remain cheaper - internet wisdom
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 AM
2^11

distinctively will become famous soon enoughdistinctively will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich wargo View Post
Stop spending your money on pot, crack, beer, and fruityco products.
I'd only be willing to give up the things that are a complete waste of money. Therefore everything stays except the fruityco products.

Tags
amd