Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Article discussion

Article discussion Talk about front page articles

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
640k who needs more?

Seronx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
4K capabilities may be only HDMI 1.4 on "PR talk", no? Unless this Kaveri version has a beefed up GPU.
Four Sony-tweaked Kaveri cores/ 128 bit DDR3/DDR4 bus with 8GB
7770 Class GPU/ 128 bit GDDR5/XDR2 bus via a sideport with 2GB(Partially Resident Textures (PRT) the main focus)
Blu-Ray XL support
Sony GL will updated to a fusion between OpenGL 4.2 and the current SonyGL(The current SonyGL is with OpenGL ES 2.0)
HDMI/Displayport will most likely be the only two outputs

These are only estimations...Sony Orbis will be AMD's main reason for arguing about programming to metal

Last edited by Seronx; 03-28-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Administrator

charlie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seronx View Post
These are only estimations...Sony Orbis will be AMD's main reason for arguing about programming to metal
I have been screaming at AMD guys to push this, but they always take the politically correct route about partners and their products etc.

-Charlie
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator

charlie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-p...re-the-details

Orbis, SI GCN GPU, AMD x86 CPU. Kaveri Lite, anyone? Big win for AMD regardless.
Someone actually doubted me? Wow, who was it?

Seriously though, how long have 1) I been saying AMD won at least some of all the consoles? 2) Saying just this? I wonder when the stuff about the prior gen of aborted consoles comes out, IE the Intel based PS4 and the older XBox that the current Oban and Orbis replace?

-Charlie
Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 AM
2^10

Guild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Someone actually doubted me? Wow, who was it?

Seriously though, how long have 1) I been saying AMD won at least some of all the consoles? 2) Saying just this? I wonder when the stuff about the prior gen of aborted consoles comes out, IE the Intel based PS4 and the older XBox that the current Oban and Orbis replace?

-Charlie
No doubt that AMD won all of the console GPUs, that was bound to happen. For PS4, to be fair, the folks at [H] have been calling an AMD CPU+GPU for a long time.

Would love to hear more about the Intel PS4, would that be an Intel CPU fused with an AMD GPU?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 AM
2^10

Vithren will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Vithren

Quote:
Would love to hear more about the Intel PS4, would that be an Intel CPU fused with an AMD GPU?
Wasn't it based around LRB architecture?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 AM
2^10

Guild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vithren View Post
Wasn't it based around LRB architecture?
That explains why it was rejected...
Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 AM
2^10

integrated will become famous soon enough

Quote:
http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-p...re-the-details

Orbis, SI GCN GPU, AMD x86 CPU. Kaveri Lite, anyone? Big win for AMD regardless.
Why "Kaveri lite"?

Why would Sony want anything less than what AMD's offering on PC? If anything, they might order up a custom version that is a bit heavy on the GPU front.

Can AMD let Sony manufacture an APU containing x86 for themselves, or must AMD do the production (under the revised agreement with Intel)?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 AM
2^10

integrated will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
Manufacturing capabilities are aligned for that and it's timeframe. It's the most credible rumor as of yet. Including sensible things as "no backwards compatibility", which would be expected with this change.

4K capabilities may be only HDMI 1.4 on "PR talk", no? Unless this Kaveri version has a beefed up GPU.

I'm gonna try to keep an eye open related to TSV news, since there was talking about Sony using TSV extensively in their next console (maybe not at launch, though).

While I believe they might order a beefier Kaveri, don't be too surprised if this next generation of consoles does 2K the same way the current gen does 1080P
Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM
i386 bit

maarek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrated View Post
While I believe they might order a beefier Kaveri, don't be too surprised if this next generation of consoles does 2K the same way the current gen does 1080P
Hmm, you do realise that 2k and 1080p are basically the same? 2k is just 100 pixels wider.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM
640k who needs more?

JeeBee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seronx View Post
Four Sony-tweaked Kaveri cores/ 128 bit DDR3/DDR4 bus with 8GB
7770 Class GPU/ 128 bit GDDR5/XDR2 bus via a sideport with 2GB(Partially Resident Textures (PRT) the main focus)
Blu-Ray XL support
Sony GL will updated to a fusion between OpenGL 4.2 and the current SonyGL(The current SonyGL is with OpenGL ES 2.0)
HDMI/Displayport will most likely be the only two outputs

Whilst this is an opportunity for AMD to create a core that is x86-64 only, or even redo the entire front-end ISA, I guess that in reality it will end up being a bog standard PileDriver or SteamRoller based design. Sony tweaks would be to the uncore - USB3, SATA, Audio, etc, on the chip.

I would hope for better graphics - 28nm will be very mature by 2013, and 20nm will be imminent, so hopefully something more like a 7870 than a 7770. 2GB sounds about right for a 1920x1080x120fps (3D) capable console.
Closed Thread

Tags
amd, gcn, global foundries, jaguar, ps4, sony, x86