The roadmap as shown
This time, it isn’t exactly anything we weren’t expecting, with two of the three code names, Kabini and Kaveri, floating for a long time. Vishera is new, but the chip itself is basically a Piledriver server CPU in desktop form. Nothing too spectacular.
More interesting is Kaveri, the successor to Trinity. It will have a Steamroller CPU core, likely the first chip on the market with it. It also has a GCN/Southern Islands/HD7000 GPU, plus today’s obligatory catch phrase, HSA. This is where it begins.
A bit lower on the scale is Kabini, the next generation Brazos replacement. It uses Jaguar cores and GCN GPUs shaders, but should be familiar to anyone following the space. Once again, the interesting part is less with the chips themselves, but who else puts IP in their own potential variants. Hang on folks, this is going to be interesting.S|A
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- AMD releases a blue RX 5700 called Radeon Pro W5700 - Nov 19, 2019
- Intel sort of delays Cooper Lake but it is on time - Nov 19, 2019
- Centaur’s new CPU is the first x86 with an AI co-processor - Nov 18, 2019
- Intel outs Ponte Vecchio and Sapphire Rapids - Nov 17, 2019
- CPU startup Nuvia breaks cover - Nov 15, 2019