TSMC was showing off two wafers at Techcon, a production 20nm SoC and a pre-production 16nm without any qualifiers. Not many more details so for now just enjoy the pictures.
TSMC 20nm SoC is in production now
TSMC 16nm FinFETs are in development
On the 20nm front the wafers are not just in production, there are devices on the market using it that you can buy. No word on the higher performance variants but the SoC process is good to go. 16nm as the label suggests is still in development and that is on schedule. What is that schedule? Risk production in late 2014 so you should have 16nm FinFETs from TSMC in early 2015 if all goes well.S|A
Have you signed up for our newsletter yet?
Did you know that you can access all our past subscription-only articles with a simple Student Membership for 100 USD per year? If you want in-depth analysis and exclusive exclusives, we don’t make the news, we just report it so there is no guarantee when exclusives are added to the Professional level but that’s where you’ll find the deep dive analysis.
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- Intel’s 8th Gen Core CPUs are a minor step forward - Sep 25, 2017
- SemiAccurate digs out Intel’s 10nm process problems - Sep 11, 2017
- Intel foundry customer bails out - Sep 6, 2017
- Qualcomm outs the 9150 C-V2X chipset - Sep 5, 2017
- AMD’s Epyc pummels Intel’s new Xeon-W workstation CPUs - Aug 29, 2017