Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First GTX480 and GTX470 retail listings appears

8-bit overflow
    Hey Charlie,

do you honestly think it might of been a pr piece? I've been a lurker forever on most sites and only sign up if I need something to do at work *EG* or its important.

The development of Fermi has been very interesting to follow. I have a feeling they still need at least 6 months for this to roughly viable card. Its going to be fast but no where near as fast as they need it.....

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by spigzone View Post
    Talk about channeling Theo Valich.

ZERO difference between them on that article.
    There was a difference, I think the Guru one was original work.

-Charlie

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MeldarthX View Post
    Hey Charlie,

do you honestly think it might of been a pr piece? I've been a lurker forever on most sites and only sign up if I need something to do at work *EG* or its important.

The development of Fermi has been very interesting to follow. I have a feeling they still need at least 6 months for this to roughly viable card. Its going to be fast but no where near as fast as they need it.....
    If it wasn't PR, it was done after a long chat with one about their 'talking points'.

Fermi won't be viable until late Q3 at best.

-Charlie

8-bit overflow
    I'm very disappointed in Digitimes. It is now confirmed that the prices of 499$ and 679$ so many sites were talking about were all from sabrepc, and false.

Says nvidia PR on facebook :

"NVIDIA and our launch partners have not released pricing or pre-order information yet. Any Web sites claiming to be taking pre-orders should not be considered legitimate."

"The MaxPC story, and a ton of others, are also based on the SabrePC.com pre-order link. It's amazing to see how fast these things can spread online!"

"@Harrison. Hi, yes, all rumors and FUD at this point. And Sam, yes, I agree. Although, it will be fun to look back at all of the rumors and FUD after the launch event and see exactly how far off base all of these stories are." (I'm that "Sam", btw )
    found on guru3D forum

8-bit overflow
    From what I remember Guru has been Nv since the beginning.

The ATi reviews are there so as not to be too biased.
    I'm not saying he is personally biased, just with more Nv reviews than ATi, it looks that way.
    Maybe Nv enjoy sending him cards

RivaTuner is a good tool though, and its been opened to ATi as well, which is nice.

(Back on topic)
    I would expect Nvidia to delay the fermi cards until they can have the next version out.
    It will have been basically a year from when they were supposed to launch, so why not launch a card which is V2 of Fermi, one year later, stating that the TSMC problems have finally been worked out
    That would be enough time for a complete respin wouldn't it ? 12 months ?
    HP6735s, 2x2Gb, BDR, Intel SSD.
    Nook tablet - Cyanogenmod 7 32Gb SDcard

But how much money does it cost to keep spinning another half year towards the media, that it truly is TSMC's fault there are no 40nm chips. I mean, the increasing stock of HD5k cards should wake up both customers as well as most of the media at some point.

Further on, if they don't make any other changes except for what is needed to make the current design work (the B1 revision), they could be ready in about half of a year from the moment of tapeout.
    Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H||AMD A8-3850||Corsair XMS3 PC3-16000(2000MHz)||Sapphire Radeon HD6670||Fractal Design Define Mini
    Life, it all of a sudden comes back to you and you have no clue who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildead666 View Post
    From what I remember Guru has been Nv since the beginning.

The ATi reviews are there so as not to be too biased.
    I'm not saying he is personally biased, just with more Nv reviews than ATi, it looks that way.
    Maybe Nv enjoy sending him cards
    OT again, I do think Hilbert does definitely like nVidia H/W however that is a personal preference that only occasionally surfaces in his ATI reviews. I did notice he was very easy on the Green Team's GT220 when that should've been shredded.

From his HD 5850 review - he pushes the GTX285's PhysX as being important (which is such a red flag for an nVidia PR line), but in the same breath acknowledges that a lot of gamers don't see it that way and that PhysX definitely needs to become open platform. Not unbiased, sure, but also quite balanced I would argue.

The Verdict

Price positioning wise the main competitor of the Radeon HD 5850 is obviously the GeForce GTX 285. And though both cards are close to each other in terms of overall performance, the big phat winner here of course is the Radeon HD 5850 thanks to its feature set and price. See, with the 5850 you get to have DirectX 11 support and Eyefinity which are huge selling points. The GTX 285 is priced roughly 50 USD more expensive yet is a DX10 class card. Its advantage however is that it does come with PhysX support, but the reality here remains that you guys just don't seem to warm up about PhysX. I disagree, as I really like PhysX. Any additional feature that can enhance or benefit a game is much welcomed in my book. But sure, I do feel very strongly that PhysX needs to become an open platform for both ATI, NVIDIA and perhaps later on even Intel.
    Athlon II X3 455 (Rana) @ 3.83 GHz, GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0, 4GB DDR2, XFX HD 5850 @ 801/1099 MHz, Win XP Pro-32 SP3, Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB (OS) - recovered from BSY error on SD1A firmware, Vantec Ion2+ 550W, NZXT Hush

Banned
    After all he is a human being, just like all of us, and he has emotions and feelings at all.
    When people get emotional and any affection, usually their butts take over their heads and do the thinking.

What view of yours?

>intel 4004
    Quote Originally Posted by jackportd View Post
    After all he is a human being, just like all of us, and he has emotions and feelings at all.
    When people get emotional and any affection, usually their butts take over their heads and do the thinking.

What view of yours?
    Same here, this is not uncommon at all.

^ yep applies to me also of course +1 to this.
    Athlon II X3 455 (Rana) @ 3.83 GHz, GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0, 4GB DDR2, XFX HD 5850 @ 801/1099 MHz, Win XP Pro-32 SP3, Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB (OS) - recovered from BSY error on SD1A firmware, Vantec Ion2+ 550W, NZXT Hush