Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FUDO: AMD needs to follow nVidia's example and bribe developers.

Bullet and Pixelux looks good, free and platform-agnostic, plus AMD is actually showing some endeavors, there is no point for game devs to pick PhysX over this, unless "money talks", of course

Will we see a larger move to these physics tecs now that Valve have gone cross platform with source/steam? I think so

With OpenCL on the Mac implented in the OS, and OpenCL a download away for the PC, why not? Hmmm... I wonder if HL2: E3 would have these updates in it? They said the engine was getting redone extensively.

>intel 4004
    Because AMD helped them to port some portions of the engine from CUDA to OpenCL.

>intel 4004
    Well, at least you can notice AMD is very active in bringing OpenCL to the masses, compared to NVIDIA's "My CUDA will be the best, but we have the most comprehensive support for major GPGPU technologies (1)" viewpoint with a footnote "(1) including OpenCL and DirectCompute"...

Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post
    Because AMD helped them to port some portions of the engine from CUDA to OpenCL.
    Well, well, well, that's a handy competency for the future for AMD to have developed isn't it.
    Athlon II X3 455 (Rana) @ 3.83 GHz, GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0, 4GB DDR2, XFX HD 5850 @ 801/1099 MHz, Win XP Pro-32 SP3, Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB (OS) - recovered from BSY error on SD1A firmware, Vantec Ion2+ 550W, NZXT Hush

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by Harison View Post
    free and platform-agnostic
    I guess this is the end for Bullet physics... It'll die out like opengl and physx will win.
    Free and open platform can't win against money.

....or was that a bit too pessimistic?

(It's just a gut feeling, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised)

8-bit overflow
    Look at http://corecodec.com/, nice blue theme. Been their standard colours since forever. If you go into technologies, matroska or coreplayer, same blue theme.
    Then go into coreavc, suddenly green nvidia theme.
    + a nice nvidia logo.
    + a nice commercial for netbooks and ion.

Massive bribery?
    This is what OpenCL is up against, and this is the reason OpenCL can't possibly win.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyLancer View Post
    tbh, if that is what it takes to bring 50/50 market dist of gfx...

DO IT ATI!!
    Here's the problem, Nvidia can bribe people to code for physx.
    ATI can't bribe people to code for Bullet.
    1. They don't have the cash.
    2. It's useless and retarded to bribe someone to use Bullet, since nvidia can also run OpenCL. It's like paying someone to program for your competitor(and you)...

This is why I think Bullet will fail and physx will win. And in the same way, just look at coreavc, it's basically become 1 gigantic nvidia commercial now, Cuda is going to win that race too. There just isn't any way "free and open" can win against money.
    Nvidia had this in the bag the moment they gained majority of marketshare and found out it was a damn clever idea to bribe key companies.

So they're not going to gain Bullet physics marketshare by bribing, and they're not going to gain videocard marketshare with Bullet physics. They need some other miracle to gain back marketshare.

Quote Originally Posted by DFT View Post
    I guess this is the end for Bullet physics... It'll die out like opengl and physx will win.
    Free and open platform can't win against money.

....or was that a bit too pessimistic?

(It's just a gut feeling, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised)
    Yeah, that's why OpenGL is used on PS3, ID/Carmack is using it for years and even in the dawn of DX11 don't see reasons to change, maybe that's why OpenGL is used(?) on Macs...
    'Couse its dead.
    But I understand what are you saying. OpenGL is not very popular among developers and that can be taken as being dead.

I really hope that this (surprising) AMD move will be noticed by developers community.

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheRacer14 View Post
    With OpenCL on the Mac implented in the OS, and OpenCL a download away for the PC, why not? Hmmm... I wonder if HL2: E3 would have these updates in it? They said the engine was getting redone extensively.

Maybe PDMM would be included, but probably not with Bullet - Valve is using heavily modified Havok physics since HL2 and I suppose that change like that would be too severe, too time consuming and if PDMM could be added to already existing physics systems in Valve universe - they wont switch.
    The engine: they've been adding to it since EP1, so we can expect quite a bite. Did you seen Portal 2 screens? Quite beautiful and showing what Valve's been up to.

Look at http://corecodec.com/, nice blue theme. Been their standard colours since forever. If you go into technologies, matroska or coreplayer, same blue theme.
    Then go into coreavc, suddenly green nvidia theme.
    + a nice nvidia logo.
    + a nice commercial for netbooks and ion.

Massive bribery?
    Well, if you'll take "we have the technology to help you and maybe even people to help you doing it, but you have to put our technology logo on the page etc" as a bribe then yeah, it is a bribe. But CUDA is here for a quite long time and they couldn't use OpenCL simply because it didn't exist at the time.

This is what OpenCL is up against, and this is the reason OpenCL can't possibly win.
    *snap*
    This is why I think Bullet will fail and physx will win. And in the same way, just look at coreavc, it's basically become 1 gigantic nvidia commercial now, Cuda is going to win that race too. There just isn't any way "free and open" can win against money.
    Nvidia had this in the bag the moment they gained majority of marketshare and found out it was a damn clever idea to bribe key companies.

So they're not going to gain Bullet physics marketshare by bribing, and they're not going to gain videocard marketshare with Bullet physics. They need some other miracle to gain back marketshare.
    Bullet already got about 10% of market share, IIRC.
    Quite a big part of render engines is being rewritten to OpenCL. Vray, for example, was working on CUDA version, they even showed it but even then told the press that there will be OpenCL version.

My point is that developers don't just see OpenCL and go "OMG OPENCL RUN RUN TO YOUR CUDA COVERS". : )