Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6000 series leaks have started

Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post
    How about acceptable Blu-ray 3D movies hardware decoding performance?
    I would say that the ability to decode 3D Blu-ray movies is an aspirational benefit for most, not an actual benefit. Good on the marketing collateral of course.
    Athlon II X3 455 (Rana) @ 3.83 GHz, GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0, 4GB DDR2, XFX HD 5850 @ 801/1099 MHz, Win XP Pro-32 SP3, Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB (OS) - recovered from BSY error on SD1A firmware, Vantec Ion2+ 550W, NZXT Hush

>intel 4004
    The point of these cards would be small form factor HTPCs or OEMs (if price and volume is right), so what's so bad for it being the "baseline" in 3D graphics rendering performance? It's still a step up from the current IGP offerings from AMD.

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    No no no, you got it wrong. I meant that whoever has a 4350 shouldn't need to upgrade to a 6450 or 6350 or whatever it's going to be called.

Sorry, I meant the 4350 this whole time, which is the lowest-end card from ATI.
    So in practice what's the difference between UVD 2.2 and 3, and HDMI 1.3 and 1.4?
    Sure, having 5.1 surround sound is a good feature that some people may pay for, but the rest does sound like marketing gimmick and very little value.
    I'm a bit confused about your reasoning regarding the "need to upgrade". Personally, I get the need to upgrade when I feel the stuff I want to do are taking too long, not just when there are new products out on the market.

kalizec
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    No no no, you got it wrong.
    Obviously I didn't... that's for me to decide.

I meant that whoever has a 4350 shouldn't need to upgrade to a 6450 or 6350 or whatever it's going to be called.
    Precisely my point... but the way you use the argument makes me think you think that HD 6350 is meant to be an upgrade for people with HD4350. And it's my point that. that is not it's target group.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crouch View Post
    I'm a bit confused about your reasoning regarding the "need to upgrade". Personally, I get the need to upgrade when I feel the stuff I want to do are taking too long, not just when there are new products out on the market.
    I also get the need to update when the noise from my case distracts me from enjoying music or video.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by kalizec View Post
    Obviously I didn't... that's for me to decide.

Precisely my point... but the way you use the argument makes me think you think that HD 6350 is meant to be an upgrade for people with HD4350. And it's my point that. that is not it's target group.
    No, you obviously got it wrong. My argument is that there is no need for the HD6350 to be manufactured in the first place. 265586888 understood me and presented arguments as to why this card will be manufactured.
    I didn't comment any further because even though I don't know anyone who will be interested in this 6350/6450, there's no point in me bashing it. In my opinion, there's already too much low-end on offer as it is.
    So while I don't agree with AMD's decision to market a card with the features 265586888 mentioned, because a 4350 would do the same things really, it's not really my problem.
    I'm still waiting on the iToilet, the iCook, and the iPickMyNose - alvter
    As the philosopher B. Bunny said, "What a maroon". - Charlie
    Yeah, my bad again. Definitely need cuppucino with diced bacon. - 265586888

8-bit overflow
    If you browse through HP/Dell/Lenovo/Toshiba's product offering you will notice a lot of the "premium home" and "premium work" range include one of these basic GPU's or it is available as a upgrade for a base model.

I agree there is little use in them other than providing dual monitors on desktops and maybe a bit of graphics performance on notebooks, but they make up a huge part of AMD's and nVidias sales. From some of the recent sales figures I have seend listed on topics on S|A, ~66% of cards sold are less than US$100. I would guess that at least half of these (i.e. 33% of the total market) is one step above IGP.

I want to point out from low-end that these generally don't ever get upgraded.
    Most are sold in new machines and while performance is kind of irrelevant past some point,
    oems do want to be able to market their machines with cool new generation names.

So, the cards get updated and are actually new tech, that's a bonus.
    While gaming in general sense is not what these cards do, some games do target this level of cards. Like Sims, for example.
    You can get of this kind of machines from Your Local Mart cheap and it works for 95% of home users right out of the box.

The most important thing is, we won't need to listen to any more garbage about Sandy Bridge having entry level discrete graphics.

The 5450 scores P1100 in Vantage btw, so this is 50% faster by the looks of it.

Edit - actually I'm getting a whole lot of different results for the 5450 in Vantage, not sure whats going on there. Just below 1000 on graphics score seems about right.

>intel 4004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottis View Post
    I want to point out from low-end that these generally don't ever get upgraded.
    Most are sold in new machines and while performance is kind of irrelevant past some point,
    oems do want to be able to market their machines with cool new generation names.

So, the cards get updated and are actually new tech, that's a bonus.
    While gaming in general sense is not what these cards do, some games do target this level of cards. Like Sims, for example.
    You can get of this kind of machines from Your Local Mart cheap and it works for 95% of home users right out of the box.
    True, more ticks in the checkboxes, the more the OEMs want the GPUs.