Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 470

Thread: Console refresh ~xmas '12: who's in the running?

  1. #361
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeBee View Post
    So with a 32nm shrink and just using four cores we could be looking at a <200mm^2 Power7 implementation? Personally, I think this would be a major contender for what the Wii U will incorporate.
    Yup I agree. The Wii-U looks to have a bigger enclosure than the Wii so that would suggest to me a higher power budget.

  2. #362
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Kudelski View Post
    Why are you thinking so? Power7 is an 8-core CPU with TDP around 200 W. Is 4C Power7 @ 100 W really imposible? 100 W CPU + 100 W GPU can make a rather small console. Especially, that IBM can move to 32 nm in some time, and reduce TDP for next revisions of Wii U.
    8 core is up to 300w I thought?

  3. #363
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    8 core is up to 300w I thought?
    On second thought it might be even higher.
    IBM power server enclosure with a 16 core max has a 1600w max rating.

    I couldn't find any concrete details on Power7 Watts. Watts per socket seem to have been scrubbed from anywhere it might be found.

  4. #364
    Quote Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    8 core is up to 300w I thought?
    I was under the impression that a 8C implementation was ~800 W. A single, high-clocked core would be easy to develop for and would be ~100W.

  5. #365
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Makedon View Post
    I was under the impression that a 8C implementation was ~800 W. A single, high-clocked core would be easy to develop for and would be ~100W.
    The TDP is 200W for a 3.8GHz, 8C Power 7, according to an old post I found on AnandTech's forums. It has 1.2 billion transistors. 800W must be a system power consumption.

    Wii U is multi-core, that much is already known.

    It really isn't hard to imagine a quad-core Power 7 on 32nm running a bit slower only eating 50W.

  6. #366
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    478
    Lol mabye a quad core running at 800mhz.
    I don't think the WiiU is going to need 16 slow as hell threads.
    Not to mention the programming headache multithreading would create by using a slow quad core.

    Moderately clocked Double or a high clocked single would be more powerful for a console.

    Keep in mind each core can do 4 threads.

  7. #367
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    On second thought it might be even higher.
    IBM power server enclosure with a 16 core max has a 1600w max rating.

    I couldn't find any concrete details on Power7 Watts. Watts per socket seem to have been scrubbed from anywhere it might be found.
    Somehow IBM managed to produce Xbox360 tricore CPU based on G5.
    At the same time IBM did not manage to clock G5 higher in almost 3 years, leading to Apple ditching PPC and moving over to X86.

    The crazy Nintendo WiiU rumor is that it has a custom build Power6 3.5ghz quod core chip. It would be 30% faster then todays top intel hexacore chip.

    We could always dream that it is true

    To bad that Nintendo pairs it with a 3-4 year old GPU.

  8. #368
    Quote Originally Posted by shompa View Post
    Somehow IBM managed to produce Xbox360 tricore CPU based on G5.
    At the same time IBM did not manage to clock G5 higher in almost 3 years, leading to Apple ditching PPC and moving over to X86.
    The Xbox's Xenon isn't something better than what Conroe was at that time. Additionally it could also be due to Intel's pricing.

    Quote Originally Posted by shompa View Post
    The crazy Nintendo WiiU rumor is that it has a custom build Power6 3.5ghz quod core chip. It would be 30% faster then todays top intel hexacore chip.
    And yet this thing's TDP would be less than 100W? On 45 nm SOI? Could someone with more technical insights comment on this?

    In any case, I still think that despite AMD the GPU vendor of choice, IBM will remain the CPU/design provider.

  9. #369
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by shompa View Post
    Somehow IBM managed to produce Xbox360 tricore CPU based on G5.
    From what I remember the core is closer to the PPU from the CELL than a G5...

  10. #370
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,482
    Quote Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    Lol mabye a quad core running at 800mhz.
    Keep in mind each core can do 4 threads.
    It doesn't take that much clock reduction to allow a voltage reduction, and thus drastic power consumption drops.

    Dual core is an option of course, that would be ~50W at 3.8GHz already, not bad for 8 threads - and it's not like the threads are coarse multi-threading so it's not like one thread would only get 1/4 of the clocks (as an old Niagara SPARC chip would have done, for example).

    But it's all speculation right now. The Power 6 rumours have some credence because IBM might be more amenable to using that IP in a consumer console rather than Power 7.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux