Page 181 of 270 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2691

Thread: Cayman speculation

Quote Originally Posted by incognitus View Post
    It would be the first time in history that the drivers that come shipped with a new retail card are in any way purposefully crippled. Have in mind that the average Joe installs the CD driver and rarely checks for a new one.
    Other than that, I am sure that the drivers get better over time, just as with any other GPU in history. But purposefully crippled - I'd say not, but who knows.
    Purposefully crippled? The 6970 is still trading blows with the 570 and he said unoptimized not crippled. There seems to be a concerted effort to call out an epic fail before the card is released.
    What you talkin bout Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenmaster View Post
    You've got the maths wrong, 389mm2 is about 52.5% bigger, not 35% bigger.

Either AMD made a GF100 type mistake, it was meant to have 1920 shaders and they are releasing it as 1536shaders, then AMD are not releasing a part thats 50%+ bigger than Barts with anything but, minimum 45% + performance. Assuming maybe due to the limits it really needs a 384bit bus or something to max out 1536 4d shaders and more internal bandwidth and the well actually enlargement from 32 to 40nm means they couldn't fit one or two really important tweaks in.

As I understand Charlies news story on 4d/Ni front end +evergreen shaders, the 6870 ended up being the slightly earlier easier NI front end + evergreen back end hybrid chip, the 6970(and rest of series probably) looks set to be a better performance/mm2 4d architecture with the same front end as barts at a guess(some differences, dispatcher, schedualer HAVE to be different, rops, tmu's, mem controller probably all the same).

That means 6970 really has to have the performance improvement found in barts front end, because thats where they pinched the design from to start with.

I'm still not convinced its retail, if I worked at Powercolor and potentially previous leaks had been traced and people fired, if I was to do benchies myself, OR give a card to a friend I'd give it a retail box(they'll be all over the warehouse) and print some stickers and tell him to say he got it anywhere but from me. Maybe it is retail and its one of those boards that always tend to get out, the 6850 with too many shaders, the 4770 with too many or too few shaders, the batch with the wrong bios, the 465gtx with 470gtx hardware but the 465gtx bios so 470gtx card limited to 465gtx performance by mistake, these things happen, and when they happen its usually one of the first batches of cards from the company rushing to get a card out asap.

I just can't see in any way a 255mm2 Barts, + 52.5% in size, + if a 4d shader for the sake of argument rounds out to give identical performance to a 5d shader, effectively 1920 5d shaders = 1536 4d shaders, a 15-20% increase in speed, just not going to happen.

If there was ANY chance the card might die, they'd pull it and either release a 6970 2x6870 core card, or have started working on taping out a 1920 shader Barts with better memory chips on for higher bandwidth. Even if it cost millions in R&D, AMD would NOT release something that sucked that badly.
    That is what get doing basic math hungover and no coffee my bad. There will be epic laughter one way or another very soon

I don't see an epic fail here. 6970 = Performance <> 570, as expected and announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    I really take Charlie's comment as a "I'm very surprised, I was expecting more, now I don't know whacha say".

Let's stop dreaming. C'mon, slap yourself on face 10 times or 'til wake up. There is no friendly magical driver, there is no misinformation, there is no conspiracy driver holding back performance. New AMD kids came to fight GTX 570, period.

Like Charlie loves to say, "if you have a champion, show it. If you don't have it, spin."

I can't see a single reason why AMD would hide a killer product. The answer is quite simple: there is no killer product.
    I don't think many of us think its going to be a killer product. In fact, I think most are guessing performance just a little under the 580. The performance on par with the 570 just seems to low. Admittedly, the available benchmarks are mostly synthetic. Conclusions would be difficult. Also, there may really be an updated driver allowing say, 5% improvement on average.
    When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning" I sleep in till noon because I'm a problem solver!

Quote Originally Posted by APU_Fusion View Post
    That is what get doing basic math hungover and no coffee my bad. There will be epic laughter one way or another very soon

Seek medical attention ... or caffeine. Fast.
    When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning" I sleep in till noon because I'm a problem solver!

I don't see an epic fail here. 6970 = Performance <> 570, as expected and announced.

Not here too much but in other forums. Disappointment and horrible and AMD is doomed lol. If numbers hold up a 6950 at 389mm2 at 5870 performance levels that was 334mm2 is a fail. Assuming accuracy of course.

Now that you show the chart with pretty colours and bars, the numbers seem a little more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by distinctively View Post
    Seek medical attention ... or caffeine. Fast.
    I am so hangover I am too lazy to turn on notebook and am trolling forums on iPhone the wait is killing me but rum distracts me even if a bit. I am itching for new gaming/Photoshop workstation and am hoping the 6970/6990 doesn't disappoint

8-bit overflow
    Like Charlie loves to say, "if you have a champion, show it. If you don't have it, spin."
    Well, since ATI has not launched the card yet, there's nothing to show. The whole point behind their secrecy is to show things at a pre-determined time. And only then.

I can't see a single reason why AMD would hide a killer product. The only possible one would be: there is no killer product.
    Explain how nobody knew anything about Barts until mere days before launch. And even then, there was speculation and misinformation everywhere.

Hmmm, too much stuff out there is totally made up to make any serious comments at this point, we'll see in a couple of days when we'll try to figure out which sites aren't in nVidia's pocket as to tweaking reviews...

I do have an observation though, Cayman is as far as I know the first AMD GPU designed from the start with GPGPU computation in mind, if the card proves to be a little less capable on the games side I would look at what they brought to the table on the GPGPU side as well as price point and availability before screaming failure. Designing a GPU isn't all about getting the highest numbers, like a lot of things it's about the right balance of features and performance as well as the price point in the end. I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting for the reviews but I'm not sure we'll get all of our answers the first day...