Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wii2/"Project Cafe" specifications

The R700 rumor fills me with sadness. A VLIW4 design would make everyone happier. I doubt the R700 rumor simply because the memory controller, I thought the R800s and R900s had more efficient memory controllers. For a console design efficiency should trump everything else. Let's think this through, 1080p 3D 60fps for the screen and four 720p or 1080p 3D 60fps controllers. How much GPU would be needed for that? Perhaps each Wii2 controller has a 3DS inside and downloads a program from the console into RAM.

8-bit overflow
    From the description, the displays on the controller are 540p (960x540, qHD, WVGA+). At the least, each one would need some sort of WirelessHD or similar receiver, probably a Bluetooth module, and a few other electronic components. The screens alone would probably run Nintendo ~$30 (judging from isuppli's iPhone Retina Display estimate). So I wouldn't be surprised if the total package costs $80.

I'm thinking that the goal is to run two 1080p30 video streams. And I doubt VLIW4/VLIW5 is neither here nor there in terms of the performance that developers will extract from the hardware.

It brings to mind the recent "close to metal" piece on Bit-Tech. Having a static platform and access to lower level APIs, much more performance will be realized.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...l-to-directx/1

I have to admit, having a small screen on the controller seems like a really great idea. There are certain game types that can't be played multiplayer on a single screen, since you can always see all the information your opponent is seeing.

This opens up all sorts of different types of games not doable. Even something simple like texas holdem wasn't playable on a single screen with multiple players.

Nintendo always seems to be a step ahead in actual game playability.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    I have to admit, having a small screen on the controller seems like a really great idea. There are certain game types that can't be played multiplayer on a single screen, since you can always see all the information your opponent is seeing.

This opens up all sorts of different types of games not doable. Even something simple like texas holdem wasn't playable on a single screen with multiple players.

Funny, I was just thinking about how screens on the controller sounded really stupid. But you're right, it does open up a lot of possibilities... I wonder if they'll have games that run off just the smaller screen as well...

Quote Originally Posted by podspi View Post
    Funny, I was just thinking about how screens on the controller sounded really stupid. But you're right, it does open up a lot of possibilities... I wonder if they'll have games that run off just the smaller screen as well...
    Technically the XBox 360 has this if you also have a Windows 7 Phone...

As for R700 being the chip, I remember hearing about two 40nm designs of the 4770 (RV740). I know I'm grasping at straws but maybe the pipecleaner GPU lives on?....

Quote Originally Posted by kalizec View Post
    Except that those two 'parts' are two rather large parts in a modern CPU. To give you an indication, see the picture below.

In the image below you'll see a Cypress (HD5870) die. The blue and green bits are basically the two equivalent parts they had in Cell. The blue parts are the shaders. The green parts are 2/8's of the memory controller. Cell can reach 25,6 GB/s, Cypress has approximately six times that 153,6 GB/s. Hence I only marked out 2 of the 8 memory controllers on Cypress.

http://qequoia.nl/semi/cypress-edited.png
    Thanks for going all the troubles just for answering my question.

Lightbulb

Have you read this:

Project Cafe: The Tech Behind Nintendo's Next Console
    New pricing, hardware, design, and release information uncovered.

...According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November...

!!!

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post

Multiplayer RPG's with single screen gaming each players HUD is on their controller, touch screens will be handy could offer an almost comparable PC experience (button wise)
    My get up and go got up and left.

Quote Originally Posted by podspi View Post
    I wonder if they'll have games that run off just the smaller screen as well...
    That would be kind of wild if each controller could act like a handheld game system, and the main screen would just give global information updates.

Imagine the old M.U.L.E. game from Atari 800 days, but the only thing that shows on the main screen are the land auctions and bidding wars.