Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel cuts revenue outlook

640k who needs more?

Intel cuts revenue outlook

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ve-supply.html

$1B shortfall = 10M processors (@ $100 ASP).

WD revenue shortfall is $900M ie 20M+ hard drives so Intel's explanation makes sense.

I saw this one coming but didn't expect such a large drop. I didn't expect AMD to be hurt at all by this, not sure what to think now.

>intel 4004
    Shrink of the Euro PC market, not unexpected at all...

This really shouldn't affect AMD much at all. If anything the cheaper cost of AMD parts means the HD price increase can be partly absorbed by the OEM's much easier.

The razor-thin margins they have on intel products means a price increase is the only option.

it will affect AMD, NVDA, etc. etc. Ya don't sell a white box OEM product without a harddrive in it and if you don't have a harddrive why are you buying more gpus to put in it?
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

-Q

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    it will affect AMD, NVDA, etc. etc. Ya don't sell a white box OEM product without a harddrive in it and if you don't have a harddrive why are you buying more gpus to put in it?
    Because I spent 3 years porting Crysis onto punch cards so that I wouldn't need an HD!

On topic: Anything that hits the OEM's ability to sell computers, will hurt the component manufacturer's as the OEM's buy less to avoid sitting on a massive inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    I wonder how this is going to impact the SSD market.

I don't think that they can make the difference in desktop but in notebooks this might be slightly offset.

640k who needs more?
    Rory downplays hard drive shortage:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...112720488.html

So Rory, does that mean AMD will meet expectations (unlike Intel)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Rory downplays hard drive shortage:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...112720488.html

So Rory, does that mean AMD will meet expectations (unlike Intel)?
    I can't read the whole article but if RR is saying AMD basically won't be affected then it's strong support for many of my views, not to mention very strong proof of AMD being constrained by supply more than any other factor.

OEM's will take AMD chips first, then intel for the rest. That is what should happen here. AMD first, intel the rest that AMD can't supply - therefore only intel really sufferers with this hard drive shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
    I wonder how this is going to impact the SSD market.

I don't think that they can make the difference in desktop but in notebooks this might be slightly offset.
    It might, at most, move up the timeframe in which the general switch to SSDs is made. I don't see it as doing too much. Designs are already in, production rolling forward, shipments etc. It might hit the next laptop design, or you might just see a different product mix being offered than originally planned (more likely in my mind).

That said, Rory's downplaying of this really makes me shake my head.
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

-Q