Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: How is ARM the future?

Quote Originally Posted by c0d1f1ed View Post
    Indeed, not in the short term. But people initially didn't expect Intel could even offer a viable mobile chip at all, ever. So they've already made a major leap and if they can keep some of this momentum then ARM is in trouble. The future is in favor of x86 because in more powerful chips the ISA is much less relevant, so Intel's fabbing and designing lead can shine through. ARM is going in the direction of wide out-of-order execution, 64-bit, SMT, etc. all of which are not ISA specific and for which Intel already has a decade more experience.

Medfield is the last design to use the old Atom micro-architecture. Silvermont is the first to bring a new micro-architecture in a tick-tock cadence...
    What major leap? All is see is that they finally caught up. Let's not interpret actual events with exaggerations. So far, we still have no Medfield on our hands and again you're jumping the gun with everything else. Right now all I see and am using are the recent, deliverable ARM milestones. Links please on what we have on Intel now... Because frankly we're going round and round with truth vs. speculations.
    Main Rig: Apple //e with 256K extended RAM, 8-bit 65C02 overclocked @ 4.77 MHz air-cooled. ProDOS, Dual 140K Disk Drives, US Robotics 14.4K MODEM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    What major leap? All is see is that they finally caught up.
    The major leap from "Intel can never create a mobile chip" to "it's nothing distinct, yet".
    Let's not interpret actual events with exaggerations. So far, we still have no Medfield on our hands and again you're jumping the gun with everything else. Right now all I see and am using are the recent, deliverable ARM milestones. Links please on what we have on Intel now... Because frankly we're going round and round with truth vs. speculations.
    How is looking at ARM today and concluding from this that they have nothing to worry about for the future, any less of a speculation than my opinion? You have no more truths about the future of ARM vs. Intel than I do. All we can do is evaluate how things might evolve based purely on technological grounds. You're just refusing to look ahead. Please read the title of this thread again.

It really doesn't take a big stretch of the imagination to realize what Intel might be working on right now. Think Bobcat, only better, on a much more advanced process.

The major leap from "Intel can never create a mobile chip" to "it's nothing distinct, yet".

How is looking at ARM today and concluding from this that they have nothing to worry about for the future, any less of a speculation than my opinion? You have no more truths about the future of ARM vs. Intel than I do. All we can do is evaluate how things might evolve based purely on technological grounds. You're just refusing to look ahead. Please read the title of this thread again.

It really doesn't take a big stretch of the imagination to realize what Intel might be working on right now. Think Bobcat, only better, on a much more advanced process.
    You're starting to look more and more like an Intel fanboy, which really is boring. So Intel will move on while ARM partners will stand still and Intel process and architecture advantages automagically mean power efficient SoC in the future. That's no stretch of imagination, that's just blindly believing in the almighty Intel.
    Speaking for myself.

(Sigh) we've been here before with the same Intel banter.
    Main Rig: Apple //e with 256K extended RAM, 8-bit 65C02 overclocked @ 4.77 MHz air-cooled. ProDOS, Dual 140K Disk Drives, US Robotics 14.4K MODEM.

Banned
    x86 cannot lower the platform cost unless they doing SoC and opensource enviroment such as android. Condition is harsher than ARM. That's what things look like now.

And who exactly said that? All we are talking here is that Intel would need to make a lot of performance compromises and/or sheer process advantages to get into the areas where ARM shines. Even then, it's not like they will suddenly take over ARM by surprise. Stop inventing statements.

And for the sake of argument. Let's say I PERSONALLY made the statement you just invented. That still does not, absolutely not, change the reality that Intel has not made a major leap with the Atom with Medfield.

Let's see. The trend is that ARM is gaining ground and popularity with the major players porting their OS to it when it was in the past the sole distinction of x86. The trend that for years now, Intel has been catching up...

So my statement that ARM will continue to grow and be competitive against x86 IS NOT as valid as YOUR claim that Intel will beat/surprise ARM?

Okay, I'm thinking, let's speculate... by 2013?...

All we can do is evaluate how things might evolve based purely on technological grounds.
    Wrong. That's all YOU can do. I left the tech stuff with exophase and laurent since they did a much better job than me. I, on the other hand, was basing most of my responses from actual trends, events and experience, if you haven't noticed the last few pages...

Telling me that I am not the "typical consumer" does not change those facts.

And Intel has the best fabbing technology and the best designers on the planet.
    None of that matters if the people making the decisions make the wrong decisions. Obviously that's been a problem at Intel, given their utter failure thus far to make competent GPUs or phone-level chips.

x86 is Intel's thorn. And being stubborn enough to immortalize it might be their own undoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    x86 is Intel's thorn. And being stubborn enough to immortalize it might be their own undoing.

Brilliant quotable!

I find it hard to believe the the behemoth will ever fall, but I agree 100% with your reasoning