Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 460

Thread: Entire GCN Lineup ? HD 7000 series Specs and Price

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatti View Post
    Well there really was no preset point of view everyone had to adhere to. You may look at it any way you want but if you think the view you hold dear is the only one appropriate and others are absurd then, as you say, we have nothing to discuss.
    Now with actual evidence we can say that AMD did the right thing, you can like it or not, subjective, your point of view and nothing to argue, now if people argue that AMD should price their cards lower because they prefer it that way there is little to discuss apart that they could spend their time more wisely begging in a church than whining on forums because AMD is not a charity company.

    There is logical thinking and comprehension involved, and some people have a lack of them. If the point of view was personal it would be like discussing with someone that he shouldn't like the colors he likes. For me it's expensive and more than 100$ for a card is expensive, but that's MY opinion, it's subjective, a user of those cards won't give a rat's ass about it, the same way a buyer of a Ferrari doesn't care what you think about the price of his car.

    The reality is that we all know that people didn't come and say: " oh, this price is too high FOR ME, I WILL PASS", no, that was not the point of all those discussions unless you live in a bubble, we saw generalizations, it's too high, who is going to upgrade, AMD should..., at the same time other people (including me) were arguing that the competition had higher prices, the supply was going to be low, etc. You don't need a high IQ to see that all was related to the point of view I'm citing.

  2. #62

  3. #63
    Wow this is like GTX 280 prices!!!
    Isn't unfettered Capitalism just grand?

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    373
    If they were not selling at all then people could say Amd priced them too high, but as they selling and nvidia is nowhere to be seen with their new gpu's and as Amd needs the money so good on them for getting their cards out first.

    For me they too high but that is me.

  5. #65
    itanic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by DCO View Post
    Now with actual evidence we can say that AMD did the right thing, you can like it or not, subjective, your point of view and nothing to argue, now if people argue that AMD should price their cards lower because they prefer it that way there is little to discuss apart that they could spend their time more wisely begging in a church than whining on forums because AMD is not a charity company.

    There is logical thinking and comprehension involved, and some people have a lack of them. If the point of view was personal it would be like discussing with someone that he shouldn't like the colors he likes. For me it's expensive and more than 100$ for a card is expensive, but that's MY opinion, it's subjective, a user of those cards won't give a rat's ass about it, the same way a buyer of a Ferrari doesn't care what you think about the price of his car.

    The reality is that we all know that people didn't come and say: " oh, this price is too high FOR ME, I WILL PASS", no, that was not the point of all those discussions unless you live in a bubble, we saw generalizations, it's too high, who is going to upgrade, AMD should..., at the same time other people (including me) were arguing that the competition had higher prices, the supply was going to be low, etc. You don't need a high IQ to see that all was related to the point of view I'm citing.
    You know you don't have to be so confrontational. Relax.

    So how would church charity be the better use of peoples time instead of complaining and not buying their cards? If people wouldn't pay these high prices they would naturally come down.

    I was well aware of your point of view. I was just expressing my own.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7,442
    Thing is, everybody has their own idea of value, i.e., what a product is worth to them. Some people have no issue spending $650 on a graphics card, others feel $100 is too much.

    AMD is perfectly justified in their pricing; don't forget that retailers are free to stick on whatever markup they feel people will accept. And the goal is not to sell the product at a "reasonable" price, it's to price it so that the demand is just fulfilled by available units at that price.

    If AMD were truly smart, they would auction those cards on Ebay. Cut out the channel, and get maximum revenue for those cards.

    So what if you feel you cannot afford one, or you feel it's not worth the price? That is not AMD's problem, nor anyone else's. You are not "entitled" to one. Enough people can and do, as long as every card gets snapped up off the shelves, perhaps AMD should perhaps price it even higher.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by rich wargo View Post

    If AMD were truly smart, they would auction those cards on Ebay. Cut out the channel, and get maximum revenue for those cards.
    Smart like 3dfx

  8. #68
    itanic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by krumme View Post
    Smart like 3dfx
    True. It would probably bite them in the ass in the long run.

    Rich: Also in the same vein that I'm not entitled (duh) to a card AMD is not entitled to my money (duh, again). Never claimed it was AMDs problem if I don't buy one but it will become AMDs problem if enough people decide their not going to pay that much.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,237
    But the evidence shows otherwise, I would call that FUD.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by rich wargo View Post
    Thing is, everybody has their own idea of value, i.e., what a product is worth to them. Some people have no issue spending $650 on a graphics card, others feel $100 is too much.

    AMD is perfectly justified in their pricing; don't forget that retailers are free to stick on whatever markup they feel people will accept. And the goal is not to sell the product at a "reasonable" price, it's to price it so that the demand is just fulfilled by available units at that price.

    If AMD were truly smart, they would auction those cards on Ebay. Cut out the channel, and get maximum revenue for those cards.

    So what if you feel you cannot afford one, or you feel it's not worth the price? That is not AMD's problem, nor anyone else's. You are not "entitled" to one. Enough people can and do, as long as every card gets snapped up off the shelves, perhaps AMD should perhaps price it even higher.
    To a certain degree, maybe, but when you know roughly speaking what something costs, and how much profit people are making. You can draw a conclusion as to what is "fair" spending.

    But then thats life, nothing is fair. However, AMD really shouldn't ignore that there has been a very strong feeling amongst enthusiasts that Nvidia is screwing them and AMD is not, and they are making a BIG move against that. Yes, that is one group of people, and yes, a lot of them will still buy AMD. But given the same priced cards, people like buying from the underdog or the guys who they feel are doing the right thing.

    AMD would almost certainly still be making a very decent profit at cheaper prices, not massively but a bit.

    Coming in closer to 580gtx pricing would, force Nvidia to make less profits, or force Nvidia to look worse, either is a win. Secondly, even with lower supply, lets say for example that 10k people buy a high end GPU in the uk this week, there are only 1k AMD 7970's available, the other 9k see 580gtx pricing and think, meh, its roughly the same performance/pound, I might just go Nvidia.

    Even if they take a little less in profits, you'll get a lot of people waiting for stock of 7970's rather than just going Nvidia if the prices were better.

    Also, AMD should find a way to both, have a proper god damned supply line to the UK rather than having us at the mercy of the god damned exchange rate, and many of the retailers here buy iin smaller shipments from US based distro's, rather than AMD shipping in massive quantities to UK distributors, it all add's to pretty awful UK pricing on products the retailers choose to price gouge on.

    If I was AMD I would both keep customers happy and their image intact by taking more direct control over supply in the more important markets and keeping back supply to stores who get heavily into price gouging. AMD don't lose any money, their customers get a better deal, retailers don't get to own their customers through stupid pricing, when AMD and the customer win....... AMD win.


    ultimately the biggest fail of 7970 is the clock speeds. Every forum I go on people are saying its barely faster than the 580gtx, and had they simply ignored the 300W, which they've done before, Nvidia WILL do with the big kepler(and maybe GK104 as well). A stock 7970 vs a stock Gk112/gk110/gk100(whatever it ends up being called) will look AWFUL, while overclocked the gap will close considerably because GK100 is likely to be a 350-400W card and not have much overclocking headroom while the 7970 is a 300-350W card that has been unclocked to the tune of 50-100W for no apparent reason.

    There was no need for it, it does make the card look slower than it is, trying to get an Joe Average to understand that the card is just heavily underclocked rather than not very good is almost impossible, getting an Nvidia guy on a forum to admit it is beyond impossible.

    AMD already smashed the 300W barrier, officially, with the 6990, Nvidia did it unofficially with the 480/580gtx and more officially with the 590gtx.

    Even do a 6990 launch, AMD couldn't have made it more clear, here's a safe lower TDP option and here's the really cool overclocked bios option, and look all our slides show things related to massive overclocking potential and a cooler than can cope with 400W easily........

    The whole launch was a show saying, we've got this safe TDP stock setting but for the love of god use the overclocked higher TDP setting if you buy this card, we want you to do it.

    At least do the same thing with the 7970.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux