Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Entire GCN Lineup ? HD 7000 series Specs and Price

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by APU_Fusion View Post
    Are you implying they aren't making a dual GPU this generation? What does a Tahiti refresh have to do with the dual GPU or are you saying that they are going to delay the 7990 in favor of a single GPU refresh? Since there are going to be a number of 7970 OC already coming out how are they going to distinguish a new Tahiti? My post had nothing to do with the dual GPU.
    I don't know whether they'll make a dual gpu card or not. I just said that margins would be way bigger for two ultra-high-clocked single Tahiti cards than for one TDP-capped dual Tahiti card - and with chip availability about to become a limiting factor ...

As for differentiating a single Tahiti HD7990 from the HD7970 OC cards - the latter ones usually top out @ 1Ghz. Review sites consistently reported voltage-tweak overclocks to around 1250Mhz on the standard cards, though. Still a lot of headroom - even on cards that aren't specifically binned to sustain very high clocks.

Thing is, some customers want a dual card for whatever reason, mostly stupidity, two will overclock better, perform better, run cooler and quieter. Some customers want one ultra clocked card, and some want 4 single ultra clocked cores.

Now, if supply is limited that is one thing, if supply is not limited there isn't a particular reason not to offer all these types of cards. One guy might want a single card, at any cost, and will buy an Nvidia duallie card if AMD don't offer one. Ultimately if there are enough people that would buy a single dual card to make designing and building one worthwhile cost wise, it should get done.

power wise, lets be honest the vast majority of buyers of duallie cards are gamers, considering average gaming power is WAY below the TDP and infact lower average gaming power than a 6970, a 7990 dual gpu card should use less power than a 6970 in gaming, all you need is to drop the TDP/powertune limit a tad so it uses less power at stock in furmark should anyone be dump enough to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    I don't know whether they'll make a dual gpu card or not. I just said that margins would be way bigger for two ultra-high-clocked single Tahiti cards than for one TDP-capped dual Tahiti card - and with chip availability about to become a limiting factor ...

As for differentiating a single Tahiti HD7990 from the HD7970 OC cards - the latter ones usually top out @ 1Ghz. Review sites consistently reported voltage-tweak overclocks to around 1250Mhz on the standard cards, though. Still a lot of headroom - even on cards that aren't specifically binned to sustain very high clocks.
    You really didn't state it clear then as it seemed like you were implying they weren't going to make a "x2". Since the 7990 (dual card) has been on the roadmaps for a long time I am pretty sure they are making one. The initial batch of 7970 OC cards are clocking out at 1ghrtz but the rumblings of faster cards coming is pretty loud. That is what I was getting at. If there is a Toxic card out there at 1250-1300 and AMD releases a 7980 at 1150 it won't seem so amazing. All I was getting at.
    What you talkin bout Willis?

8-bit overflow
    @APU_Fusion: I really think our opinions on that subject are rather similar - we just express them in different ways and with different focal points

The only point I really differ is related to the factory overclocked Tahiti cards - I'd be very surprised if those rumblings you mentioned turned out to be true.

Keep in mind that Tahiti is basically confirmed to have some ROP redundancy, too (see the Rage3D interview). So it's not totally out of the question that HD7970 isn't actually specced to Tahiti's full potential - be it because of yield optimization or just to dilute NVidia's performance aims for the upcoming GF104 cards ...

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenmaster View Post
    Thing is, some customers want a dual card for whatever reason, mostly stupidity, two will overclock better, perform better, run cooler and quieter. Some customers want one ultra clocked card, and some want 4 single ultra clocked cores.

Now, if supply is limited that is one thing, if supply is not limited there isn't a particular reason not to offer all these types of cards. One guy might want a single card, at any cost, and will buy an Nvidia duallie card if AMD don't offer one. Ultimately if there are enough people that would buy a single dual card to make designing and building one worthwhile cost wise, it should get done.

power wise, lets be honest the vast majority of buyers of duallie cards are gamers, considering average gaming power is WAY below the TDP and infact lower average gaming power than a 6970, a 7990 dual gpu card should use less power than a 6970 in gaming, all you need is to drop the TDP/powertune limit a tad so it uses less power at stock in furmark should anyone be dump enough to run it.
    Unless AMD has changed away from the small die strategy they had, isn't the dual card supposed to be the top dog of the AMD lineup? Meaning that instead of going for that stupidly big single ?ber-GPU, they use a duallie as the top offering?

Yes, NV had the 590, but that really looked like an afterthought, badly executed, and still didn't beat the 6990. It came close, admittedly, and only (as far as I can remember) at the cost of blowing not only the TDP limints it had, but some of the components on the board as well....

Edit: With "afterthought" I mean it looked to me like it was put together in haste, after NV realized the 6990 would be so far ahead of the 580, that if they started whining about "but the 580 is the fastest single GPU-card....", it would only put them in a bad light.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crouch View Post
    Unless AMD has changed away from the small die strategy they had, isn't the dual card supposed to be the top dog of the AMD lineup?
    Well, they could do one thing and not leave the other undone.

Like ... release a full-performance Tahiti AND dual Pitcairn card

If they were Nvidia, they'd just rename the Tahiti-respin and release it as HD 8970, though

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Well, they could do one thing and not leave the other undone.

Like ... release a full-performance Tahiti AND dual Pitcairn card
    you mean to hell with yields, let them release 1300MHz GPU,
    because... we asked for it?

We didn't ask. We DEMANDED. :P

Quote Originally Posted by apu4life View Post

At the prices it would command, such a card only needs good enough yields to populate reviewers performance charts

Quote Originally Posted by apu4life View Post
    No, wrong. There is Tahiti XT and Tahiti Pro, the best of best chips could very well be called Tahiti XTX, and that won't hurt yields not at all. It's called binning.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    We didn't ask. We DEMANDED. :P
    Yes, because we are the most important- the customers and without us the corporation is lost... We also demand the 350-400$ price tag for Tahiti XTX.