Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sea Islands - New GPU Architecture and HSA Features

Sea Islands - New GPU Architecture and HSA Features

VIA HardOCP - http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?im...hfMV8xX2wuanBn

Seems as if this article is wrong?

In any case, AMD doesn't appear to have a quick 'respin' with a new architecture this year, and Sea Islands will be coming next year.

Interestingly it looks like it will take til 2013 that AMD is able to get GCN into an APU. So they will offer a sort of tick/tock with their APU updates, the GPU portion will trail the discrete market about 1 year, and meanwhile they will continue to try to improve IPC and efficiency every year.

ooooopss Charlie didn't "sea" that coming...
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

This slide makes it clear that AMD is pushing hard to the hetrogenous computing paradigm.

They aren't able to compete right now with Intel on process tech or CPU IPC. But if more and more things can take advantage of the GPU's processing power, perhaps their lead in GPU tech will allow them to stay competitive with Intel, as even Ivy Bridge's GPU section probably will be quite a bit behind Trinity's GPU section.

If AMD can stick to this roadmap we are around 2 years away from seeing the combination of CPU and GPU into one.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Hmmm, why is Kaveri, the follow on to Trinity, using the 28nm process on this chart?
    "Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." - Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    Hmmm, why is Kaveri, the follow on to Trinity, using the 28nm process on this chart?
    Because it will be made on 28nm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    Maybe planning on TSMC for Kaveri?

AFAIK, GBF has not announced a 28nm version of their SOI process. This would imply that Kaveri is being made at TSMC, or on a non-SOI 28nm process at GBF.

Since AMD has never previously made their higher end CPUs on a non-SOI process, it's a surprising change.
    "Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." - Nikola Tesla

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5491/a...admap-revealed

Pretty clear that AMD is giving up competing with Intel at the high end of CPU's and will instead focus on 'mainstream'.

The problem is that right now Intel has a clear lead in the mainstream IMO with their ~$200 CPU's, i5-750, i5-2500k, i5 IVYBRIDGE VERSION, etc. I guess $200 isn't exactly mainstream, but you gain a lot of performance going from a $120 CPU to a $200 CPU.

Forget about competing with Intel at the high end, AMD has a ways to go to compete with Intel's 'mainstream'.

So, assuming that GCN in and of itself is pretty much in place until at least after the HD 9000 series, would it be safe to assume that the main thrust of the next series of discrete cards will DirectX 12 and/or single screen resolutions beyond 2560x1600?

Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

-Q