Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: 28nm APU speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by gljvd View Post
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/amd-e-series/

What a disapointing update by amd . They simply can't execute at all. The same c-60 is going to service the tablet market again in 2012. What are they thinking

Everybody +dog already knew about that.

I did read , did you read the last few sentences ? It states that it MAY lead to the new parts being avalible in Q4 mabye a bit earlier , but it can all go wrong.

This was also from Nov and we haven't heard anything yet now we see Bravos 2.0 slated for a fall release according to the newest slides. So if the 28nm chips are hitting in Q4 then whats the point of Brazos 2 ? It would have even less ofa shelf life than Krishna/ Wichita.

Infact if wichita /krishna were canceled due to a short 6 month shelf life , then brazos 2 would also have a 6 month or greater shelf life to make sense . So we are looking at what ... Sept - Feb for 6 months of avalibility... but that only gives us the time frame that got Wichita / krishna scrapped. So if its even longer I don't expect any 28 parts from amd till this time next year.

Correct me if I'm not reading this right.
    You are seeing it as if Brazos 2.0 is new silicon, it's not. Brazos 2.0 is the same silicon of Brazos 1.0, so there's no need for new masks, tests, stocks, channel connections, etc etc, all which incurs costs. At best there's a respin thrown on there, but that is much cheaper than green-lightning Krishna/Wichita.

So, instead of putting Krishna/Wichita on the market and have a bad ROI (Return on Investment) based on their very narrow shelf life... AMD just enhanced Brazos's ROI, by increasing it's shelf life with minor changes.

Maybe the only real silicon on Brazos 2.0 is the Z-series, but AMD needs to go with it for time-to-market reasons.

Yet it still doesn't address having a new tablet cpu ready for windows 8 launch.

8-bit overflow
    Yet it still doesn't address having a new tablet cpu ready for windows 8 launch.
    Honestly, I don't think it is that important. I believe uptake of Win 8 is going to be relatively slow. Don't get me wrong -- I'm incredibly excited for it, but I don't think there is going to be a huge rush to buy new stuff. AMD has been executing fantastically lately -- part of that is knowing when to cut a project loose and dedicate resources to a future one. This is one of those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by podspi View Post
    Honestly, I don't think it is that important. I believe uptake of Win 8 is going to be relatively slow. Don't get me wrong -- I'm incredibly excited for it, but I don't think there is going to be a huge rush to buy new stuff. AMD has been executing fantastically lately -- part of that is knowing when to cut a project loose and dedicate resources to a future one. This is one of those cases.
    You disagree that in the fall MS will have a huge marketing push for windows 8 and its tablets and that having an extremely competetive tablet part ready in time for its launch would have been extremely good for AMD .

Aside from Trinity I don't actually see AMD executing well. Llano was late and had horrible yields , bulldozer... was well bulldozer , The radeon 7x00 series hit on time and did well for a few minutes but Nvidia has rained on that parade and AMD has yet to have an answer for that or even a 7990 after 6 months from the 7970 and after the the dual nvidia card.

I personal thought AMD wanted to push APUs but it seems like they are leaving a huge upcoming segment of the market empty with tweaked year old chips.

What is gljvd on about? The tablet chip is Z-01, not C-60.

Secondly, there's a Z-03 Hondo coming for Windows 8 launch which is C-60 performance within 4.5W TDP.

So if the 28nm chips are hitting in Q4 then whats the point of Brazos 2 ? It would have even less ofa shelf life than Krishna/ Wichita.
    A naming scheme update, with a little clock speed increase using the current silicon.

Some new information concerning Kabini from Guru3D
    New devices ids (some maybe not):
    [...]
    AMD9833.1 = "KB 2C 12W (9833)"
    AMD9834.1 = "KB 2C 5W (9834)"
    AMD9831.1 = "KB 4C 17W (9831)"
    AMD9832.1 = "KB 4C 17W (N-1) (9832)"
    AMD9830.1 = "KB 4C 25W (9830)"
    [...]

The radeon 7x00 series hit on time and did well for a few minutes but Nvidia has rained on that parade and AMD has yet to have an answer for that or even a 7990 after 6 months from the 7970 and after the the dual nvidia card.

I personal thought AMD wanted to push APUs but it seems like they are leaving a huge upcoming segment of the market empty with tweaked year old chips.
    How can nVidia rain on AMD's parade when it's hardly got any top tier product availability to rain with?

How can you say that AMD is leaving a huge market segment empty when it has tweaked chips to fill it with?

Please explain.
    Athlon II X3 455 (Rana) @ 3.83 GHz, GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0, 4GB DDR2, XFX HD 5850 @ 801/1099 MHz, Win XP Pro-32 SP3, Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB (OS) - recovered from BSY error on SD1A firmware, Vantec Ion2+ 550W, NZXT Hush

Quote Originally Posted by pTmd View Post
    KB 9834 sounds like a pretty cool tablet APU.

The same lists Kaveri too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guild View Post
    What is gljvd on about? The tablet chip is Z-01, not C-60.

Secondly, there's a Z-03 Hondo coming for Windows 8 launch which is C-60 performance within 4.5W TDP.
    The acer Iconia w500 uses the c-50 chip and is a tablet. The msi win pad w110 uses the z-01 .

C-60 performance even at 4.5w TDP is still poor performance for windows 8 launch . That is the point . Amd should have had 28nm parts ready for windows 8 launch. This will be the biggest release for at least the next 3 years and AMD is some how caught with its pants down

Quote Originally Posted by pTmd View Post
    That sounds great a 5w kabini with 2 jaguar cores and GCN would be awsome ,

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/02/02/m...new-amd-cores/

However as of Febuary its clearly a 2013 part and doesn't really change any of the discusion. It would amazing if AMD got the new chips out in designs for the fall , but its obviously not going to happen. Hell brazos 2.0 which many on the forms is calling a simple rename isn't even going to be ready for another 4 months.

Whats even worse from that link is that AMD has completely given up on the high end desktop parts. Piledriver will finally get a non apu at least half a year after it apears in trinity. AMD is simply giving up markets because they are not agressive enough. A smaller company should be able to make moves much faster than AMD is doing . In the windows market they will now have arm squeezing them from the bottom and Intel squeezing them from the top. I wonder how long they will last.